racking the slide

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodsy

Blackhawk
I did not take any special measures for lubrication like CoyoteHunter did (no grease on a toothpick, etc.), but simply cleaned my LC9sPro as usual with all my other handguns, and lubed it the same. I have NEVER had a problem racking or locking back the slide. It also eats all factory loads, and almost all reloads without problem (other than a deliberately loaded batch of VERY light 82 grain bullets in front of the lightest powder weight imaginable). And, I shoot the thing at the range quite often. My only continuing complaint is the long distance and unpredictable direction of the fired brass. (I reload, and save my brass.)

fast ed said:
Does anybody think that it is hard to rack the slide on a LC9S?

I do go to the gym, but have trouble racking the slide and locking it open.

I see this question asked often.

Nope, I don't think for a second that the slide on a LC9 is difficult. And what is often a similar concern, is the recoil of such a firearm. Nope, I don't think the recoil is horrendous, either.

If a person is such that that they are overwhelmed by the operation or recoil of such a gun, maybe it's time to re-think the gun. I would guess if ya can't rack the slide, ya probably can't load the magazine, either.

So, a revolver would be my next suggestion. Actually it would be my first suggestion.

WAYNO.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
WAYNO said:
fast ed said:
Does anybody think that it is hard to rack the slide on a LC9S?

I do go to the gym, but have trouble racking the slide and locking it open.

I see this question asked often.

Nope, I don't think for a second that the slide on a LC9 is difficult. And what is often a similar concern, is the recoil of such a firearm. Nope, I don't think the recoil is horrendous, either.

If a person is such that that they are overwhelmed by the operation or recoil of such a gun, maybe it's time to re-think the gun. I would guess if ya can't rack the slide, ya probably can't load the magazine, either.

So, a revolver would be my next suggestion. Actually it would be my first suggestion.

WAYNO.

Wayno posts a balanced reply! He's correct and NO the slide on an LC9s is not "hard" to rack. Like most Rugers they're stiffer when new, right out of the box. When you fire a couple of magazines through the gun and take care of it, it gets a bit easier (but not too easy.) As I said: snappy motion. Overhand if necessary. You are in control of the pistol and YOU tell it what you want it to do, not the other way around. Put some emphasis into what you're doing and you won't have trouble. It's just as important not to wussify your handling of the slide as it is not to limp-wrist the gun while firing it, and it's very much in the realm of possibility for most women and men that I've seen.