New Ruger SR9E

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ignacio

Bearcat
Hi All
Just picked up a Ruger SR9E - I like the gun (A LOT), and it was a great price. took it to the range, and it jammed a few times when my son and daughter fired it. Weird thing is, it never jammed on me, and i think it jammed once on my wife.
the jamming was that the cartridge wasn't ejected fully, in some cases not at all.

Any thoughts from other members?
Full Disclosure: I did not clean it prior to firing it, but did afterwards. didn't seem too dirty, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't take much to affect it.

I welcome your comments and feedback

BTW, this is my first handgun - we test fired several, based on recoil force, size (it's gotta fit my wife's hand as well as mine), and cost.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
ignacio said:
Hi All
Just picked up a Ruger SR9E - I like the gun (A LOT), and it was a great price. took it to the range, and it jammed a few times when my son and daughter fired it. Weird thing is, it never jammed on me, and i think it jammed once on my wife.
the jamming was that the cartridge wasn't ejected fully, in some cases not at all.

Full Disclosure: I did not clean it prior to firing it, but did afterwards. didn't seem too dirty, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't take much to affect it.

BTW, this is my first handgun - we test fired several, based on recoil force, size (it's gotta fit my wife's hand as well as mine), and cost.

Based on what you said about your kids, my first thought would be they are "limp wristing" it. Just about any semi-auto will act like that if the shooter doesn't lock their wrist or has a poor grip on the gun. May also be a lube/cleaning issue, and/or just a break-in period needed. I doubt it's a mechanical problem with the gun.

ignacio

Bearcat
GunnyGene said:
ignacio said:
Hi All

Based on what you said about your kids, my first thought would be they are "limp wristing" it. Just about any semi-auto will act like that if the shooter doesn't lock their wrist or has a poor grip on the gun. May also be a lube/cleaning issue, and/or just a break-in period needed. I doubt it's a mechanical problem with the gun.

I thought that might be a problem. i suspected that might be the issue with my daughter, since she'd never fired one (any handgun), but i was kinda surprised that it happened to my son. we've been shooting a few times before, and he's usually pretty solid with one.
I plan to go shooting again this week, so i'll take her and have her practice.

thanks

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
ignacio said:
GunnyGene said:
ignacio said:
Hi All

I thought that might be a problem. i suspected that might be the issue with my daughter, since she'd never fired one (any handgun), but i was kinda surprised that it happened to my son. we've been shooting a few times before, and he's usually pretty solid with one.
I plan to go shooting again this week, so i'll take her and have her practice.

thanks

Could also be ammo related. Try a different brand, weight, bullet style.

1SG Ret

Bearcat
I bought a new 9E a few months ago and had stove-piping and weak ejection the first time out (and yes, I thoroughly cleaned it prior to shooting it). All the problems went away after I fired a few boxes and now it runs like a sewing machine. I shoot all kinds of cheap ammo and various reloads and no more problems. I would say just give a break-in period. I'm sure you will be satisfied. The 9E is now one of my favorites.

For what its worth, I used to own an SR9 and SR45. I didn't shoot them very much, but never had any problems with either. I think the SR platform is a good one....

ignacio

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
Were they gripping the pistol high enough that their thumb might have been dragging on the slide?
didn't look like it. when i brought it home a couple of days previously, we went through how to hold it, the slide mechanism, things like that, so I'm pretty sure she was holding it properly (but, I didn't actually take notice), just not very tightly.

we'll know in the next day or so

ignacio

Bearcat
Could also be ammo related. Try a different brand, weight, bullet style.[/quote]

I'd love to, but I've only got one brand at the moment

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
ignacio said:

I'd love to, but I've only got one brand at the moment[/quote]

Don't know what you were using, but when you get the chance, I'd recommend any of the Hornady loads. My particular favorite is the 135grn Critical Duty in my 9E for carry/home defense because of it's reliability, accuracy and terminal ballistics. If I'm just punching paper I'll use the cheapest fmj I can find - Blazer, Armscor, Fiocchi, etc. :)

ignacio

Bearcat
GunnyGene said:
ignacio said:

I'd love to, but I've only got one brand at the moment

Don't know what you were using, but when you get the chance, I'd recommend any of the Hornady loads. My particular favorite is the 135grn Critical Duty in my 9E for carry/home defense because of it's reliability, accuracy and terminal ballistics. If I'm just punching paper I'll use the cheapest fmj I can find - Blazer, Armscor, Fiocchi, etc. :)[/quote]

Just punching paper for the moment (can't remember if it's Federal or Winchester that I got, but I got 500 rounds of it)
i do need to get something a little more heavy duty, though.

cyborgt800

Single-Sixer
I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but I feel like the polymer pistols seem to operate better if their slides are lubed up a bit more than I tend to keep the metal guns.