New 9E

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikep048

Bearcat
A weekend impulse buy. I got it Saturday, price tax of $340.

Here is the new 9E with my P95.

16jhlsl.jpg

I took it to the range Sunday to give it a workout:

I first ran 15 rounds of 124 gr. JHP - no problem.
Next up, 5 rounds of 147 gr. Remington FMJ ammo with a sort of flat nose.
I followed that with 5 rounds of 124 Blazer aluminum cased ammo.
Last of the bunch was 5 rounds of 115 gr. FMJ remanufactured ammo from Freedom Munitions.

I continued the 5-5-5 rotation until I hit a total round count of 150. In a few mags I mixed types of ammo.

The gun worked flawlessly and seems quite accurate.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Glad it worked out for you. In many ways it's superior to my sr40c in my opinion and had it been offered in a compact model I'd have owned that instead. I like the deletion of the absurdly large loaded chamber indicator, the slide serrations look much more functional, and it's still got good sights. An overall better pistol for less money. How often does that happen?

I know it's a P91 but the P85 was the first pistol I ever shot in my life at age 16 and where I caught the bug from. If I had known how much money this hobby would have cost me I'd have never touched the thing in the first place. :D But I did enjoy shooting it.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
mikep048 said:
A weekend impulse buy. I got it Saturday, price tax of $340.

Here is the new 9E with my P95.

16jhlsl.jpg

I took it to the range Sunday to give it a workout:

I first ran 15 rounds of 124 gr. JHP - no problem.
Next up, 5 rounds of 147 gr. Remington FMJ ammo with a sort of flat nose.
I followed that with 5 rounds of 124 Blazer aluminum cased ammo.
Last of the bunch was 5 rounds of 115 gr. FMJ remanufactured ammo from Freedom Munitions.

I continued the 5-5-5 rotation until I hit a total round count of 150. In a few mags I mixed types of ammo.

The gun worked flawlessly and seems quite accurate.

Ruger did a good job with this model - love mine. The only real beef I have is the cost of spare mags. :wink:

holo07

Single-Sixer
I love mine also and just paid $37.00 a piece for 3 extra mags this weekend at a show, but I have not been able to find them so I said what the heck.

Armybrat

Buckeye
mikep048 said:
I ordered the two pack of mags from shopruger.com for $27 each. I got 20% off so it basically shipped for free.
That's better than GaG:

http://grabagun.com/mag-ruger-sr9-9mm-17rd.html

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Sometimes a semiauto will be sensitive to different bullet designs, but I haven't seen a problem with the 9E in that regard.

For example here's a side by side comparison of a couple different bullet designs that I've fired w/o any feed or other issues.

9mm%20compare.jpg~original

Rei40c

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
Sometimes a semiauto will be sensitive to different bullet designs, but I haven't seen a problem with the 9E in that regard.

For example here's a side by side comparison of a couple different bullet designs that I've fired w/o any feed or other issues.

For a second as I glanced I thought it was a comparison between a .40 and a 9mm round. Really like those Critical Duty rounds, not to hot, and very accurate. It's quality stuff.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Rei40c said:
GunnyGene said:

For a second as I glanced I thought it was a comparison between a .40 and a 9mm round. Really like those Critical Duty rounds, not to hot, and very accurate. It's quality stuff.

Just my lousy photog skills. :oops: There are some subtle differences between these two if you look close, besides just the shape of the bullet. Sometimes those differences can make a difference in feeding and/or extraction in a specific firearm. Notice the slightly different bevels on the bottom of the cases. Also the Hornady oal is a hair longer than the Armscor (.03" to be exact).

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Yes I did notice the longer length of the Hornady. I don't know the proper term but I also like the fact it has the ridges to keep the bullet from slipping back as bad where the bullet and case meet. I really try not to rechamber the same round but just going about daily life I do sometimes find the need to unload. Set back is something I think about. So for me that's a feature I like and is important.

Especially with the cost of carry ammo I sometimes find myself carrying rounds that are up to a year or two old before I fire them at the range and load fresh.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Rei40c said:
Yes I did notice the longer length of the Hornady. I don't know the proper term but I also like the fact it has the ridges to keep the bullet from slipping back as bad where the bullet and case meet. I really try not to rechamber the same round but just going about daily life I do sometimes find the need to unload. Set back is something I think about. So for me that's a feature I like and is important.

Especially with the cost of carry ammo I sometimes find myself carrying rounds that are up to a year or two old before I fire them at the range and load fresh.

That's called a cannelure. Here's some other obscure nomenclature for bullets. :)

fir_m10_t06_01.jpg

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Thank you Gunny very informative. I have a habit of pointing to things I don't understand and labeling them "the dohicky" or "that thingy there". lol

ignacio

Bearcat
Nice gun.. I just purchased one myself, and I'm really happy with it. Took my wife and 2 kids shooting at a gun range. I had mixed results with it though. it jammed a few times, but I'll put something out to ask about that

this is a better deal than the 9C, in my opinion. My wife preferred the 9C (we had shot both previously), but since I'm pretty sure I'll be shooting more than her, I liked this model better. AND, you can't beat the price. got mine for just about $335.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
ignacio said:
Nice gun.. I just purchased one myself, and I'm really happy with it. Took my wife and 2 kids shooting at a gun range. I had mixed results with it though. it jammed a few times, but I'll put something out to ask about that

this is a better deal than the 9C, in my opinion. My wife preferred the 9C (we had shot both previously), but since I'm pretty sure I'll be shooting more than her, I liked this model better. AND, you can't beat the price. got mine for just about $335.

Hmmm. I'll be interested to find out about your jamming problem. First I've heard of this about a 9E, and haven't had any jams or other problems with mine regardless of what I feed it.

That said, a jam (not really a jam, but rather a failure to return to battery) can result if you hold onto the slide when racking it to chamber a round, instead of just letting go & allowing the recoil spring to do it's thing.

ignacio

Bearcat
GunnyGene said:
ignacio said:

Hmmm. I'll be interested to find out about your jamming problem. First I've heard of this about a 9E, and haven't had any jams or other problems with mine regardless of what I feed it.

That said, a jam (not really a jam, but rather a failure to return to battery) can result if you hold onto the slide when racking it to chamber a round, instead of just letting go & allowing the recoil spring to do it's thing.

the general consensus was that my daughter was limp-wristing it - it only happened to her, not me, my wife or my son. She's only 16 yrs old, and had never fired a handgun before, so that makes sense. we had planned to go again to test that theory, but haven't been able to. I still like it - a lot