bersa

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Love mine. Not too small and fits my hand well. Easy to shoot and recoil is light. Most importantly rock-solid reliable. I bought mine new in 2006. The CT grips I added in 2011 cost me more that the gun did. The beaver tail is longer than the PPK's so no biting, either. Love it almost as much as my P93

Three-Steps

Bearcat
I have had both the 22 and .380 in the past, they performed Ok, but I moved the .380 on. As a CCW the .380 just doesn't cut it with me. Now I carry the LC9sPro ,it is in 9mm and it is smaller and lighter than the Bersa.

H Richard

Bearcat
I have had a .380 for several years. It has a fine trigger, has been 100% reliable, and reasonably accurate, (what you expect for a 3" barrel carry gun). Only way I'd like it better if it was a 9mm.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Excellent guns that haven't changed much over the years. I had a Thunder for awhile, reliable and easy to shoot is an understatement. If I didn't have a Glock 42 already I would buy another one.

DeadEyeDick

Bearcat
I have a Bersa 380 Thunder; a Glock 42; and a LC9sPro. I like all three but I have gone to the LC9sPro for CCW and the wife has the Glock 42.

DeadEyeDick

Bearcat
I agree FergusonTO35, they are definitely a very underrated and fun gun to shoot. I've been selling off some of my pistols lately, but I still hold on the the Thunder!

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
They seem well built. I have not shot mine much, but have not had any problems so far. I would not hesitate to buy one. Oooooops. My bad. Mine is a 9 mm. I have no experience with the 380.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
I went and checked my records for my BERSA 22 pistol. I've not shot it in ages but the records show it has devoured 19,265 rounds and I do know for a fact it NEVER EVER malfed a single round in that run. The pistol itself shoots to the sights and is accurate enough to pick-off blackbirds out to thirty-five yards.
None of the seven BERSA 380's I've had were any problem whatsoever. I did have a round of CCI 380 BLAZER aluminum cased ammunition chop the slide in two and blow both halves completely off the frame. The fine folks at EAGLE replaced the pistol with a brand new one. I suspect their gabfest with CCI later was most interesting and informative !!!
And so it goes...

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
If you like the traditional DA/SA style auto loader then you should like the Bersa Thunder or Firestorm 380. My Firestorm is accurate and has excellent sights. So far I have only put 100 rounds of FMJ through it, but there have been no problems. The recoil is mild - much less snappy than a Walther PP 380. It is a good gun at a reasonable price.

They always looked like a Sig Copy to me... which I have a Sig 230 and is probably the best semi-auto I have, but it is a 380 and I like some others here moved 'up' to 9mm and a LC9spro....

looks to me like the Thunder has a Safety... a safety on a double/single action semi-auto just does not seem practical to me.

I had a p230sl years ago.

Now my primary edc is a P938 equinox.

It's smaller, lighter, has better sites, is more accurate and conceals more comfortably.

I just can't find these huge 380s practical anymore. Not with smaller, lighter, more practical models. Most guns in smaller sizes than this are now offered in the option of .380 and 9mm.

Edit to add, the capacity of the guns being equal.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I think that this type of pistol, blowback .380 ACP operated pistols is a little piece of history. From the iconic Walther, to the down right beautiful Browning BDA or Browning 84, these guns served a purpose and it's interesting that many European police carried these type of pistols as American police carried .38 Spec, .357 Mag and even .41 Mag revolvers at the same time. I like my CZ83 quite a bit but it's not a carry gun for me, would be a good truck/car gun.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I am a fan of "heavier than needs to be guns". Especially all metal ones. While it's absolutely true as DA said these firearms have now been shrunk down to sizes and weights far below the bersa or Sig 230. The Kahr line of pistols come to mind right off the bat as one example but there are many others.

The charm of these I think is their shootability a gun with higher mass and a tamer caliber brings. I think this is why the Sig 230 is still to this day loved by so many although on paper it really shouldn't be if you look at it's specs. There's nothing amazing about it's capacity, caliber, or really any other aspect. But in the hand it's just magic.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Very well thought out design which spent around for years. As a 380 it is somewhat underpowered. It's action is somewhat like a Sig, double action on the first shot, single action on subsequent shots. Ruger LC9 is 3 ounces lighter and chambered in 9 mm, making it more effective. But if you want one, they are a good pistol and well regarded.