Ruger P89

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jjd79

Bearcat
I just picked up a P89 not mint, but not that bad either. I read where you can trade out the the original trigger with a P95 trigger for smoother pull. Problem is I cannot locate a P95 trigger. Checked with Ruger, but they won't sell one to me. Midway, Brownells, Numrich , are sold out. Does anybody know of any place that might carry a used P95 trigger. I realize this is not drop in conversion, but I also plan on replacing some of the springs with Wolff springs and possibly refinishing the slide and frame.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Numrich is the most complete source of gun parts and they list a lot of P-95 parts but NOT the trigger. As to the benefit of the P-95 trigger in a P-89, I once owned a P-89 so modified and if the trigger pull was "better", I didn't notice it compared to the straight OEM P-89s I've also shot.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
There isn't really a great fix for the P series trigger, it's in the design and you can play with it but it really doesn't get much better. The pull length will remain the same as the angles will remain same. A total redesign with new hooks, cams and pivot points would be needed.

Refinishing the frame is not a great idea as it is treated with a surface hardener. If this is removed during the refinishing process, the hardness of the aluminum goes away and the rails on the frame will wear quickly.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I had a P85 for a lot of years, it wasn't the most accurate pistol I have ever owned but it was fun to shoot. Don't spend the money to get this one pretty, just shoot the crap out of it. You can find a pristine P series pistol for a good price and make that your pretty one. Have fun.

Latest posts