A Place for P-Nuts... & Other Goobers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tip

Single-Sixer
I don't post a whole lot, here. But, I'm so glad there are those who do! :D Typically, I read a lot of what has already been written on the given subject.

I've just scrolled back umpteen pages to read all I can find on P series pistols. I've never owned one. My 81 year old dad loves his stainless P89 (he bought it new, years ago) and I've shot it and admired it over the years.

Once in a while, I'll come across a "P-something" and then read up on it. Well, yesterday I came across a P90 with the metal magazine followers. I have read somewhere that the 8 round mags can be problematic. Can anyone dispel or attest to this?

If I can work a deal, I may just have to go back for this one.

9bbqfm.jpg

Please share your experience -and, by all means post pictures!

A buddy of mine has a P90. The metal magazine followers would "kick forward" and ding the inside of the magwell when chambering a round. He smoothed out the damage and used plastic followers.problem solved.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I have a early production P90. Both types of mags function in the pistol but only the mags with plastic followers will lock the slide back on the last round.

demented

Single-Sixer
I have a P-90 and a SIG 220. Were I to have to pick which to sell if I had to let one go, it would be hard to decide since bother are about equal in accuracy and reliability. Thats saying a lot, German made SIGS are awfully good.

Tip

Single-Sixer
demented said:
I have a P-90 and a SIG 220. Were I to have to pick which to sell if I had to let one go, it would be hard to decide since bother are about equal in accuracy and reliability. Thats saying a lot, German made SIGS are awfully good.

The more positive comments I read, the more I believe I need to get this (or any) P90 I can snag!

luvmyRugers

Single-Sixer
I had two P90's but traded one a year ago(regret it too). Both functioned flawlessly and were great shooters. Never had a mag issue with either.

Tip

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
Careful about calling people goobers. :). We'uns from Ga. are known as Ga Crackers, and we eat goober peas. :mrgreen: Good luck with your P-90 8)
gramps
Lol!
Thanks, Gramps... I'll post pics if I get it!

JTQ

Bearcat
Tip said:
Well, yesterday I came across a P90 with the metal magazine followers. I have read somewhere that the 8 round mags can be problematic. Can anyone dispel or attest to this?
The P90 (P97, P345) metal followers are basically the same as the Devel followers used in Chip McCormick 1911 mags. They are known to ding the aluminum frame of the P90, but it is just cosmetic, and it will not affect the function of your gun. The P90 has a ramped barrel and the followers would ding below the feed ramp. The followers will not damage the feed ramp. I would not worry about it.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Well, I went back this past weekend for it. It was still there. Also there, an H&K USP Compact in .45 acp.

I couldn't resist, with an SKB soft case and 4 mags.
The P90 will have to wait just a little longer.

2ldaa0y.jpg

bczrx

Single-Sixer
I have had a P97 since 2001. I really don't shoot it much anymore, but I think it would be a tie between it and a 1911 if I were down to my last .45acp handgun.

I actually bought a Sig P220Combat and an HK USP .45c, and owned all three at the same time.

I did a 'shoot off', to see how they worked for me. At the time of the shoot off, I had put about 250 rounds through the Sig and about 250 rounds through the HK, within the past 6 months. I hadn't fired the P97 [at that time] in 6 years.

I did a slow-fire drill, on a 3" target at 7 yards. A full mag per [so 8 rounds from each handgun].

The P97 grouped about 3-3.5", IIRC.
The USP grouped around 4.5-5".
The Sig grouped around 6-7".

I liked the Sig's trigger-a lot. However, I was horrible with it, despite 250 rounds of experience with it recently.
I didn't like the UPS trigger at all, despite upgrades to it, but I was more accurate with it than the Sig.

However, I couldn't deny that the Ruger P97 that I hadn't picked up and fired in 6 years grouped 1/2 the size of the Sig, and cost 1/3 the price.
It grouped about 75% of the size of the HK, but cost about 1/3 the price of that also. Also, I tested a total of 6 .45acp guns. The Ruger P97 was tested #4, so fatigue would start to affect it. The USP was tested #3 and the Sig was tested #2. M&P was tested #1, Springfield loaded 1911 was tested #5 and Sistema 1911 [customized] was tested #6. I warmed up with 20 rounds of .22lr to get 'in the groove'. The Springfield grouped around 5", the M&P around 3.5-4" and the Sistema around 2.5-3" [HEAVILY customized]. Thus the order of the day didn't have a noticeable impact on focus. Good groups were earned early and late. [I have a Caspian 1911 I built for the range-only, which grouped 1.2" on the same test a year later!]

The cheapest gun, which I picked up and shot without thought or recent practice, just hit where I aimed it regularly.

I love the fact that the DA pull is around 10lbs, and the SA pull is about 3.25lbs, with stock springs.

I sold the Springfield, Sig and HK, and kept the others. If I couldn't hit what I aimed at, I moved on.

Now, I shoot my 1911s, my M&P or my Glock 30SF more than my P97, because they are more 'fun'. However, I KNOW the P97 will do everything I ever need a .45acp handgun to do for defense, and it will keep on doing it.

The P97 was supposed to have improvements over the P90, but be about the same for accuracy.

The P90 was just too thick in my hand- but the P97 feels good. I would imagine stories of the P90 would be similar to my experiences.

All I can say is that the P-series .45s make me happy.

Good luck with the HK. They make great stuff. But I am more proficient with cheaper guns.

Razor

Bearcat
rammerjammer said:
I have a early production P90. Both types of mags function in the pistol but only the mags with plastic followers will lock the slide back on the last round.

This is my experience as well.
My P90 got shanghai'ed by my brother who shot it a lot better than I did.

I got a P89 to replace it.
It goes a lot better with my PC9GR.

21229361485_7ccbf19770_c.jpg

Tip

Single-Sixer
bczrx said:
I have had a P97 since 2001. I really don't shoot it much anymore, but I think it would be a tie between it and a 1911 if I were down to my last .45acp handgun.

I actually bought a Sig P220Combat and an HK USP .45c, and owned all three at the same time...

Good luck with the HK. They make great stuff. But I am more proficient with cheaper guns.

Thanks for the excellent report of your experience.
Thanks also to Razor.

I'm still experimenting with the various brands... the jury's still out, as far as I'm concerned, regarding the USP Compact. I've taken it to the range just once, so far. I may pick up a P90, yet. There's a P90 DC for sale near me now that I may try to add to my growing .45 family.
'Been looking at SIGs lately, too.
Cheers!

mpalm

Single-Sixer
I've owned a P89 liked it, but when I got a Police carbine in 40cal. I sold it and got a P944.
All the Pseries guns are great...rugged and reliable and inexpensive

MagnumMike

Bearcat
I have a P89 and a P94 (9mm and .40 S&W, respectively) and I'm happy with both of them.

I've also heard a lot of good things about the P90.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
The Ruger P90 came in a couple configurations in both blue and stainless. My preference is the stainless de-cocker (KP90DC) but son prefers the safety model. We have several of the P series. The KP90DC is my primary carry gun and house gun (as well as a short double bbl shotgun and pump shotgun) tho others are sometimes called on for those duties. Thus far there has been no problem with the factory metal followers but others have by noting above posts. Perhaps I need to shoot more :!:

mistermills357

Blackhawk
If you find a P-97DC, in .45 ACP, give it a look. With FMJ, there ain't no recoil to speak of, I like them. And I got mine for $300!