A Place for P-Nuts... & Other Goobers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tip

Single-Sixer
mistermills357 said:
If you find a P-97DC, in .45 ACP, give it a look. With FMJ, there ain't no recoil to speak of, I like them. And I got mine for $300!

Thanks to all who commented.... Ruger is still the greatest value out there, IMHO.
$300?!... Now, you're talkin'! :D

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Tip said:
bczrx said:
I have had a P97 since 2001. I really don't shoot it much anymore, but I think it would be a tie between it and a 1911 if I were down to my last .45acp handgun.

I actually bought a Sig P220Combat and an HK USP .45c, and owned all three at the same time...

Good luck with the HK. They make great stuff. But I am more proficient with cheaper guns.

Thanks for the excellent report of your experience.
Thanks also to Razor.

I'm still experimenting with the various brands... the jury's still out, as far as I'm concerned, regarding the USP Compact. I've taken it to the range just once, so far. I may pick up a P90, yet. There's a P90 DC for sale near me now that I may try to add to my growing .45 family.
'Been looking at SIGs lately, too.
Cheers!

Don't know about the P90, but I had a great P95 that would shoot 1' groups at 15 yds. let my granddaughter
shoot it, and poof she took it for her own, and shoots it better than I do.
Blackie

mac66

Single-Sixer
Tip said:
mistermills357 said:
If you find a P-97DC, in .45 ACP, give it a look. With FMJ, there ain't no recoil to speak of, I like them. And I got mine for $300!

Thanks to all who commented.... Ruger is still the greatest value out there, IMHO.
$300?!... Now, you're talkin'! :D

I picked up a used P97DC a few years ago for just under $300 w/ three mags. Picked up several more P90 mags to use in it as well. It is one of my favorite .45s.

altajava

Bearcat
I've put over 3500 rounds through my KP90DC over the years, %90 of that with the 8 round magazines, never had a problem that was mag related and it locks the slide back every time with them. That's with commercial ball and XTP hand loads. Years ago I had several boxes of Winchester white box that had a bunch of bad primers and also failed to eject. That was the only problem I ever had wth that gun, other than the two day long trigger take up.

I've got nothing but praise for the P90. I have 2 of 'em, and 7 magazines. I can't think of a single functional problem I've ever had. Both are the manual safety model.
--- I bought the first one around 1999 and my records show 12,000 rounds through it.
--- I bought the second one about 2 years ago, now 4,800 rounds.

No slide lock-back problems with either metal or plastic followers.

Zebraranger

Single-Sixer
I've had the P90 DC for several years and in the bottom two photos, you can see where the metal followers were hitting just below the feed ramp and causing the scaring/dings on the front of the mag well. Its never caused any problems.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
If you are bothered by the scoring with the 8-round mags on a P90 you can replace the follower with a standard follower from a 7-round 1911 mag. You'll reduce your capacity by one round but the wear from the 8-round follower will be gone. It's at least worth the mod for a range magazine or two.

Best Regards,
ADP3

JTQ

Bearcat
ADP3 said:
If you are bothered by the scoring with the 8-round mags on a P90 you can replace the follower with a standard follower from a 7-round 1911 mag. You'll reduce your capacity by one round but the wear from the 8-round follower will be gone. It's at least worth the mod for a range magazine or two.

Best Regards,
ADP3
Since the .45 Auto P-Series models have gone out of production, a couple of followers have been developed that should work in those tubes and still allow 8 rounds, the CheckMate Patented Follower (CMF), and the McCormick PowerMag + follower.

The CMF (it can also be found as the Tripp Research "Flex" follower), while similar to the Devel follower used by Ruger (and Chip McCormick in his 1911 mags) in those 8 round .45 Auto mags, has a front leg, or "bull nose" that keeps the mag in the tube.

http://shop.1911parts.com/CMI-Patented-Follower-For-7-8-Round-Magazines-CM45-F-S-T.htm

The other option is the McCormick PowerMag + follower. It also should allow 8, but is less likely to tip out of the tube than the original, though maybe not so secure as the CMF.

http://www.chipmccormickmags.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=12002

toysoldier

Hunter
My first large caliber pistol was a Brazilian-contract S&W 1917 in 45acp. It wasn't pretty, but the action was very smooth. When I purchased a KP90DC, I was pleased to find that both the single-action and double-action trigger pull was very close to the old S&W. Recoil is mild, and accuracy very good. I picked up a "parts kit" (everything but the frame) from a safety model, and the slide/barrel assembly swaps without a hitch, so I can carry it either way. It is a large pistol, so might have a bit of "intimidation factor."

A.J.

Single-Sixer
The first 9mm pistol I ever owned was a P89. I still have it. Compared to other more modern handguns, the P89 is stupid big, clunky and an ergonomic nightmare. Why do I still own it? Because it's the PERFECT car gun. Why?

- If it gets stolen, I'm not out $1,000.
- It NEVER malfunctions and shoots every time I pull the trigger.
- It's heavy and soaks up the recoil and fires very fast.
- If I ever have to draw it, the sheer size of the gun is intimidating and sinister.
- I like the manual safety.
- It looks like something out of the old Dick Tracy comic books.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
altajava said:
I've put over 3500 rounds through my KP90DC over the years, %90 of that with the 8 round magazines, never had a problem that was mag related and it locks the slide back every time with them. That's with commercial ball and XTP hand loads. Years ago I had several boxes of Winchester white box that had a bunch of bad primers and also failed to eject. That was the only problem I ever had wth that gun, other than the two day long trigger take up.
I purchased a few hundred rounds of WWB a number of years ago and found them to be reliable, AND same POI as my carry load, Federal Hydro-Shok 230gr JHP. from my KP90DC. Finally considering carrying something lighter than the big ol' intimidating P90 and my 3 inch GP100 is just as heavy. Don't want a 5 shot revolver and don't want anything smaller than .45. What's an old man supposed to do? :?

I think you are kind of stuck if you won't scale down from 45..... I won't deny that 45acp is better at stopping than 9mm... but just about everything in life includes a compromise......

I'm carrying a LC9 right now and that pistol is a little small by my taste for even shooting 9mm, could not imagine shooting 45acp out of something that small.... but half the time I can't even tell I'm carrying...

now with that said... I did shoot a guys Kimber compact 1911 last year and that was one sweet shooting pistol... I think the retail price for one is around 1500 dollars... the interesting thing is it was tip a customer had given him for fixing his chimney... I wish I could find a customer like that.

JTQ

Bearcat
Colonel Daddy said:
altajava said:
Finally considering carrying something lighter than the big ol' intimidating P90 and my 3 inch GP100 is just as heavy. Don't want a 5 shot revolver and don't want anything smaller than .45. What's an old man supposed to do? :?
There are all kinds of options these days. Just about any polymer framed gun will be lighter than the P90 and the GP100.

If you want to stay with .45 Auto, and a Ruger, the SR45 and the Ruger American Pistol are both available as polymer .45's. The RAP is even available as a compact.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com