P94DAO feeding and delayed firing issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mas8394z

Bearcat
I'm hoping this a common issue with this model gun and is an easy fix.

I inherited a P94DAO, but everytime I rack/chamber it, only half the round seems to get into the chamber before the rack closes up and jams.
When shooting, this happens every round (with the occasional round chambering correctly).
When pulling the trigger, sometimes the gun delays firing for half a second.
Originally I thought it was an extractor/ejector issue maybe spring.
I've sought some advice from the Wardens and Officers at my local range and none of them have a clue, but some of them doubt it's a spring issue.
The internals of the gun look brand new.

I've oiled the hell out of the entire gun, racked it with the penetrating oil, but I still have the feeding issue and the firing issue. I don't know much about Ruger guns nor their policies, and after some frustrating months with failed research on this specific gun, I come here.

Thank you, sorry for being an annoying newbie!

I really don't have a clue.... but obviously something is not right in there.... my pat answer would be to send it back to Ruger... but the one concern I have is your describing the folks at your gun range as 'Wardens and Officers" that sounds like a different country to me and if so, I'm not sure of the rules in doing this.

mas8394z

Bearcat
blume357 said:
... but the one concern I have is your describing the folks at your gun range as 'Wardens and Officers" that sounds like a different country to me and if so, I'm not sure of the rules in doing this.

In all honesty, I think it sounds utterly stupid to call them Range Wardens or Officers (eh, Officers make more sense, but Wardens? Is this a range or a prison?) but that's how my local gun range titles their range personnel. Most of them are ex-police officers working there part time, so I guess that they would prefer the higher sounding rank. It's also become a habit to call them that.

Regardless, I've shaved down the inside of the grips to the Ruger, I noticed it slightly pushed up on a piece of metal on the handle, which I think is part of/is the extractor, not allowing it free motion. It's actually helped with the feeding issue. 1 of 2 Magazines now feeds flawlessly, I think the spring to the other magazine is bad. I think the trigger spring is going bad, and may replace that. After replacing the trigger spring, I'm taking it back to the range and calling Ruger if it still acts up. It's a beautiful gun, I can't see myself trashing it.

roylt

Hunter
Pictures are worth a thousand words. Is it a 9mm or 40cal? The grips where you ground down the material hopefully were not where they are to hold the ejector pin in place. If so the ejector could be let loose as you shoot.

Are the mags factory? Maybe the mag lips are bent from dropping.

A lot could be wrong. and again pictures would help.

Welcome here.

Keep the P-guns alive!

mas8394z

Bearcat
roylt said:
Pictures are worth a thousand words...Keep the P-guns alive!

I've been posting during my spare time at work, but when I get home I'll try to remember to take and post some pictures!
It's a 9mm.
The shaving idea came from my father, whom gave me the gun and whom did the shaving himself (no matter how old you get, your parents always have to be the ones to do something).
The mags are factory, and they both look similar.

By the way, thank you for the replies.

It sounds to me like you figure it out and that is a good thing. The first thing to do when a gun doesn't work right is to look at and consider any modifications that have been done.... in other words, what had changed since it left the factory... I'd bet at least 80% of the 'problems' we read about with a gun here on this forum and others is after someone has made an 'improvement'. Personally, I don't even believe in cleaning a new gun before taking it to the range and trying it out... at the most a little extra lube and shoot the dern thing and get a base line of how it works ..... I'd be willing to bet the problem with the 3rd mag is the mag....

mpalm

Single-Sixer
demented said:
New to me used pistol, especially one with years on it, I replace recoil and magazines springs as soon as I can. as mentioned, pictures would help.
Great recommendation. I replaced all my mag springs and followers after 22years of hard use! (Ruger P944DAO 40 S&W)
Then I got a new recoil spring, and magazine release spring . Runs like a new gun!

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
I would inspect the chamber thoroughly. Plenty of light, make sure it's bare barrel steel you're looking at.

Latest posts