CZ 75B Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I guess this is the best Forum to put this in.

If you don't carry the 75B cocked and locked, is there any reason to not carry it in the half cock position? The DA trigger pull is a few #'s less from the half cock than it is from totally uncocked.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Not really, the "B" means block, so it can be safely carried at half. The decockers put the same at a half or 1/3 notch and it is considered safe.

Tallbald

Buckeye
I will begin rotating my beautiful and reliable stainless 75B in a weekly rotation soon. I'm glad you asked this question Cholo because I had not given it thought. I have always carried DA/SA autos with the hammer fully down. In my situation though the hammer at half cock would poke into my abdomen. I think I'll continue to plan for the hammer being fully down but once again I've learned something here on the forum. My CZ75B is to the far left and like all three (other two are a P89DC and my P95) are worn AIWB. Thanks again for educating me. Don.
P7253718.jpg

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
If you don't carry the 75B cocked and locked, is there any reason to not carry it in the half cock position? The DA trigger pull is a few #'s less from the half cock than it is from totally uncocked.

Hi,

As I recall reading somewhere, the half cock notch is a guard against an AD if one lets the hammer down too hard from full cock to full decock, and isn't intended as a "safety" so it's like using the gun in normal full DA mode: the manual safety doesn't engage, and you have a DA pull w/ either a fully decocked or a half-cocked gun. Neither uses the manual safety. Only the fully cocked position allows the manual safety to come into play: cocked and locked is it.

Now it gets interesting as there are three different "trigger pulls" on my 75B (made in 1996--dunno if there's been any change since then):

1. Fully decocked, full DA, the trigger starts pulling from the get go, like a DA revolver, and there's no "stop" anywhere along the way until the hammer falls. There's also no "two stage" feel to the trigger, no taking up a certain amount of slack before anything happens inside.

2. Half cocked, sorta "full" DA, there's some slack to take up, like a two stage trigger, then the trigger pulls to a second point where you feel a slight "notch" which means you're just about to drop the hammer. I dunno what the difference is in pull weight, but the pull distance is considerably shorter than full DA.

3. Fully cocked, full SA, there's some slack, again like a two stage trigger, then the trigger pull is short and releases the hammer with no further "notches." Like a revolver in SA.

I guess one would have to do some practice to see if there's a carry condition that's most comfortable to shoot from. I've never been a fan of "cocked and locked", but since a CCW is all but non-existent here, it's a moot point. As Cheese said, the "B" is a firing pin block, so the half cock's probably as safe as having the hammer all the way down.

Rick C

Cholo

Staff member
Tallbald, have you tried carrying it at 1/2 cock? Your holster has the guard and it might not be as bad as you think.

That long DA pull, for me, doesn't equate to an accurate 1st shot. It reminds me of my early LCP but on a larger scale. I didn't even know they had a 1/2 cock until I saw a Youtube video. I tried one in the store and you couldn't even feel it click into place :?

Rick, I'll have to figure it out. I know that I don't like the long full DA pull. I have osteoarthritis in my hands. Guess which joint has it the worst? Yup! :( It will be either cocked and locked or on 1/2 cock. I won't be carrying it like Tallbald. It will be my everyday gun for vehicle and home defense. It doesn't replace my carry gun.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Having said what I said, my preference for a lowered hammer on a CZ is the decocker versions. I'm use to safety models (1911's also) being "cocked and locked" and pretty much even take a ghost swipe at a safety with a gun without one all the time. The nice thing about CZ's decock only guns is the lever is the reverse of the safety models. It points the other direction so you can't make a mistake.

I know it's just me but lowering a hammer onto a live round by pulling the trigger and easing it down just seems weird to me anywhere but on a range.

...but what I said is absolutely true, the hammer lowered on a safety model to a third (half) is at the same position and at the same mechanical safety level as using the decock lever on a decock pistol. I love talking CZ's!

reloader

Single-Sixer
The decocker on the 75b that I have lowers the hammer to the half cock so I would assume that to be safe. I recently traded a CZ 85 combat for it. The Combat only had the cocked and locked option. Once when I was gone for the day my wife needed to use the 85 to stop an idiot that was trying to break in. I returned later that day after the threat was over she and she still had the gun cocked with a live round in the chamber and the safety off. Being used to Glocks she wasn't sure what to do with it. I tried to teach her how to lower the hammer or to just put the safety back on but it just didn't seem to come natural to her. The 75b came with 2 safeties and the omega triger. It came with the ambidexterous hammer drop safety installed and she doesn't seem to have a problem with that, so I'll probably keep it that way. For me it's just a cast bullet plinking/target gun.

Cholo

Staff member
So, I have my 1st CZ 75B on the way. I swore off the 9 when I bought a new Hi-Power in '81 and never bonded with it. I sold it less than a year later with all my reloading stuff. I reload for all my CF revolvers, but I don't reload .380's, and, of course, the 9's.

Is this reliable enough for me to buy several hundred 124 gr's. on the net? It will be split between Speer GD 124 +p's, and ball ammo What's preferred--Speer Blazer brass or their brass Lawman series. Thanks! :)

hittman

Staff member
Cholo said:
Is this reliable enough for me to buy several hundred 124 gr's. on the net? What's preferred--Speer Blazer brass or their brass Lawman series. Thanks! :)

Yes.
Buy in bulk; case lots.
My CZ75 eats anything and everything.
I've used Blazer and Lawman along with WWB, Remington, Aguila, re-loads, etc........they all go bang.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
What Hittman said.

I will add that when you get comfortable with the trigger, it doesn't take long, teach yourself to ride it. Keeping your finger on the trigger and riding the connector for the reset gets you ready to pump up your shooting speed. You'll be amazed how easily you can get the sights back in alignment and get a follow up with fine accuracy. CZ's do that better than any others around.

Is there a way to shorten the trigger reset on the CZ75 B? Generally I'm against ANY mods of weapons, and may just go with a gun featuring a shorter reset from the factory. But I'm interested to know if this has been accomplished reliably and am considering it for one of my 3-gun pistols.

Thanks!

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
DA, the reset isn't that long on a CZ 75 based pistol, all the other things come into play, making it seem so. If you learn to ride the trigger and maintain constant contact you'll see what I mean. There are many options and I have used most of them on my range guns. I'm out of town now but I can consider a couple of things to get you closer to what you want. One would be to remove the firing pin block before you go to the range and see if this is were you perceive the issue to be. It's easy to remove the block and re-install it later. My CZ range guns do not have the block installed, the Shadows I have, came that way.

hittman

Staff member
For any other members looking to pile on the CZ75 bandwagon, here's a reputable seller I've had good luck with in the past.

http://summitgunbroker.com/cz-75-b.html

I don't know if this is a good, bad or average price. Bought mine used on consignment (the old original CZ75 - no "B") a few years ago.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Cholo said:
How does the firing pin block affect the trigger pull?

It applies a slight amount of back force onto the trigger pull as it cams up off the firing pin. It's not an issue unless you are running a fine tuned trigger and then you can feel it a bit more. Some guys would term it as creep but it's not.

A stock CZ is a pistol that after you learn the trigger you won't even notice it.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
Is this reliable enough for me to buy several hundred 124 gr's. on the net? It will be split between Speer GD 124 +p's, and ball ammo What's preferred--Speer Blazer brass or their brass Lawman series. Thanks! :)

Hi,

I dunno about what's good factory ammo: in 4000 plus rounds of standard 9mm (no +P), mine's had less than a half box of factory ammo that I remember, Winchester white box stuff.

In that same round count, I've had exactly two malfunctions, and both were "operator error": I'd loaded some cast bullets using a Lee mold and wanted to see if their claim of being able to shoot "most" of their cast bullets without sizing was any good. In this case, the unsized bullets went .357-.358" and didn't feed properly. All those sized to a normal .356" have worked just fine since then...

I also have the .22LR Kadet conversion kit for mine. It's only had a few hundred rounds thru it so far, but it's easily as accurate as my MkII 5.5" bull barrel, and has had zero problems so far. In comparison, the MkII can be counted on to provide some kind of adventure at least once in every 50 rounds or so...

Reliable? Mine seems to be, so far at least!

Rick C

Cholo

Staff member
Thanks for the reply's and answers to my ?'s! I should have it by the weekend. Nobody had the standard 75B's in stock; not Buds or Kentucky Guns either. Locally they had the new Omegas, but I didn't want to chance the new trigger. I couldn't decide if this one was cheesy or cool, and I decided it was cool and bought it from Bud's. I love the round trigger guard. The spur hammer is retro. Bud's has the wrong pics on their website, but this is the one I ordered. They're only making 999 of them this time, and it's not a cataloged item on CZ's website.

hittman, the price in your link seems reasonable and his shipping is only $20. I wonder if he has them in stock, but it's too late now. My FFL is a distributor who sells pallets of guns to Bud's. They've had a standard 75B on order since March!

I hope I like it as much as everyone else does :)

www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=41361