Ruger American

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
I am considering one of these in the .45 ACP caliber. Those that own this caliber, how do you like it? Pros, cons, in your opinions?

cyborgt800

Single-Sixer
I have the RAP 9...sorry, no .45 though. I can say that I like the 9 just fine. I have no real complaints about it and it might just well be my favorite gun if I didn't already have a P90 and P89. That said, if the minor differences between the 89 and 90 are any indication of the differences between the RAP 9 and 45 then I'd say you will like it just fine.
Before getting my RAP9 I shot a whole bunch of the modern pistol lineup of most brands except HK. I chose the RAP because it was right in the lineup but a bit more affordable...IMHO.

When I buy just about anything I tend to go for best value over most other factors so I wind up with a lot of Rugers for guns and Dewalt for tools.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I too have been looking at the RAP in 45acp .. I had a SR45 and liked it .. But it went in a trade ...

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
Buckeye! said:
I too have been looking at the RAP in 45acp .. I had a SR45 and liked it .. But it went in a trade ...
Me too. Wish I still had that SR45...that was dumb of me to trade it. :oops:

cyborgt800

Single-Sixer
Fortunately I do still have my SR45...and will probably pick up a RAP45 if the mood strikes.

As it is I haven't had much range time with my latest toys: AR556, 870, Ruger Air Magnum 22, and Barnett Jackal Crossbow.

jasondoc

Bearcat
I have been shopping for my first gun and I think I am sold on the Ruger American. I have also shopped Beretta and Sig Sauer, would appreciate guidance. Is the composite body an issue? Feels great.

cyborgt800

Single-Sixer
jasondoc said:
I have been shopping for my first gun and I think I am sold on the Ruger American. I have also shopped Beretta and Sig Sauer, would appreciate guidance. Is the composite body an issue? Feels great.

I haven't heard much negative about any composite bodies.

The only negative I've heard is that the moving part contact points are more sensitive to improper lubrication than the steel to steel parts are. Proper care should eliminate that though.