Ruger LC9 discontinued?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I believe the LC9 was discontinued when the S model entered full production. They probably keep the LC380 on because they can still sell it in California.

5of7

Hunter
I too would jump on a LCPS. As it is, the LCP is my constant companion loaded with Ruger's ARX ammo which, in my opinion, makes the .380 a lot better choice as a PD gun than when loaded with FMJ or HP ammo. 8)

CGDustDevil

Buckeye
I like my LC9 which has come to be my daily sidearm. Not over the moon with trigger pull, but I'm used to it.., And it's a response gun, not a target gun! ;)

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
The LC9 is a copy of the Kel Tec PF-9. Both had a long revolver like, double action, trigger pull. The purpose of this long double action trigger is primarily for safety. The LC9 trigger has a very fine double action with almost no over travel. With practice this trigger can be mastered. I note that the trigger breaks very far back, which takes time to get used to.

The objection to the LC9 double action trigger is often that many users started out with Glock and are primarily familiar with striker system. Many others who started shooting well before the advent of Glock, used double action revolvers extensively . For them the long double action trigger is very natural, their brain will train the trigger finger to work that action with precision. Police matches were shot with revolvers like the Ruger Police Service Six, Colt Official Police and S&W Military & Police.

I think Dustdevil's comment above is spot on. This is a small lightweight easily concealed defensive pistol.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
MountainWalker said:
The LC9 is a copy of the Kel Tec PF-9. Both had a long revolver like, double action, trigger pull. The purpose of this long double action trigger is primarily for safety. The LC9 trigger has a very fine double action with almost no over travel. With practice this trigger can be mastered.

This is true. I've fired the older LC9 on several occasions. I have to be honest I was shocked how poorly I did with it at even 7 yards. It was awful, I remember having to search the entire target to find out where my round went. I was making almost 3 foot groups with it. So the owner gave me some coaching on how to stage the trigger before breaking the shot and my groups improved.

Part of it was my lack of experience with any double action firearm at the time. At that point I had only fired single action 1911's and a variety of striker fired pistols. I think if you put a long double action in the hands of someone who's only ever been exposed to a 4-6 pound striker pull and a quarter inch trigger travel naturally the first thing they'll say is how bad the trigger is.

So I can understand why some kept the old LC9. It just takes a little more time at the range to get comfortable with and a willingness to completely rethink the trigger press if you are unfamiliar with it.

rkcohen

Bearcat
according to the folks at ruger (during a phone call I had last week, about getting another ruger repaired) - yes the straight up LC9 is no more.

and I won't be getting rid of mine any time soon.

the galloway trigger kit took care of all my trigger related issues and the laserlyte side-saddle laser as my grandson would say - is "the shizzle.." not sure exactly what that translates in to but he liked it and I do to.

it's a keeper.

Years ago I looked at the LC9 and the S&W Shield in 9mm and was thinking about which one I might get. When I returned to the LGS the clerk asked me if I was interested in the new (at that time) LC9s. The difference in the trigger made it a clear favorite in my mind and I bought it on the spot. Although I occasionally still carry my S&W 642, the Ruger LC9s has become my primary and daily carry firearm. Although it is a bit larger than the LCP, I find I can shoot it MUCH more accurately, and I just plain prefer the 9mm round to the 380acp. And the slightly higher capacity is a plus as well. I passed on the Pro model since I like having the manual safety and the magazine disconnect does not bother me at all. The only other gun I might consider for daily carry, with its higher capacity, is the Glock 26, but its thickness is what keeps me with the LC9s, at least for now.

Tremors

Bearcat
I laughed when I first found out about Ruger discontinue the LC9 for the LC9s. I think they planned to sell the pistol with the intention to make changes so people will have to keep purchasing their pistols so they can make more money. I know they need to make improvements but I figured I can keep my pistol and enjoy the improvements I already made; the slide was Cerokoted with Mustang Blue, it has a Lasermax and it also has night sights. Its just like the new LCP II they made changes just enough to where nothing of the old version will not work. Besides if I wanted a Striker fired pistol I'll buy a Glock.