Traded Keltec 380 something for Ruger LCP.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not me. But a buddy of mine just traded off his keltec 380 for a Ruger LCP.

Never been interested in these little guys but he was able to pull me away long enough to show me a few things.

The fit and finish on the Ruger is like night and day as opposed to the kel tec.

Other than that, it's the same pistol almost.

The trade was even. How did he do?

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Very good trade, although strangely enough the Ruger costs less than the Kel-Tec around here. Having owned both, I can say that Ruger definitely upped the ante over the original on quality and finish with the LCP.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Agreed it was a positive trade, but given the fact both where used I'm assuming. And the low value of both to start with, he was maybe +$40 dollars or so in the green? Neither where worth much from the start, not to diminish a positive trade.

I'd feel good about it I suppose if I where him but at the same time it's nothing to write home about.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Personally I think the Ruger will hold up better over the years. Ruger made some positive design changes too. In particular, a shorter trigger pull, metal mag release, and a bigger extractor that is not held in place with a set screw. Perhaps best of all, sights that are actually useable but still low profile.

armallard

Bearcat
I have owned a Keltec 9 for almost 2yrs. it was a good shooting gun for the price and only a couple of ftf/fte during that time but was a pain on the hand after 1-2 hundred rounds at the range.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I'm actually a big Kel-Tec fan, however they really ought to work on the execution of some of their products. For example, all their long guns are of a chintzy clamshell design with bunches of ugly phillips screw heads showing.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
FergusonTO35 said:
I'm actually a big Kel-Tec fan, however they really ought to work on the execution of some of their products. For example, all their long guns are of a chintzy clamshell design with bunches of ugly phillips screw heads showing.

I believe someone on this forum once said, and I think they are wise words. If you see screws in a firearm. Stay away. :) Of course there's exceptions to that. Some of the single action revolvers which have great quality. I think it was meant to apply to anything produced in recent times. Or of recent design would be a better way to put it.

I've kinda noticed it too looking at cheaper brand firearms recently.

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
Anytime an LCP or LC9 is added to my collection, that is a happy day. I've had both the P3AT and the LCP, and prefer the LCP for sure. They are great little pocket pistols.

*****I must say that I do like the Keltec PF9 also. That one is in my personal collection as well.*****

DeadEyeDick

Bearcat
I sold my LCP and bought a Glock 42. It just feels better to me.
Also went from a XD-M 9mm to a Ruger LC9s - Pro. I really like my Ruger's.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I agree the Glock 42 is miles ahead of the LCP in everything except size and price. The LCP is the perfect pocket gun. I think it is just the right balance of small enough to carry in any outfit for any activity but still big enough to shoot well and reload quickly, in a reasonably potent cartridge. The fact that you can buy an LCP for a little over $200.00 is just icing on the cake.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Rei40c said:
FergusonTO35 said:

I believe someone on this forum once said, and I think they are wise words. If you see screws in a firearm. Stay away. :) Of course there's exceptions to that. Some of the single action revolvers which have great quality. I think it was meant to apply to anything produced in recent times. Or of recent design would be a better way to put it.

I've kinda noticed it too looking at cheaper brand firearms recently.

I have carried a Keltec for a decade, same gun, no issues. I also owned a half dozen LCP's but generally prefer the Keltec. Not in Looks, the LCP is much more refined looking of course, I just like the way the P3at sits up higher in my hand is more controllable with the rough grip texture. To each his own.

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
I had a P3AT once, and had an LCP once as well. Between the two of them, I had to say the Ruger was not quite as ammo sensitive as the P3AT, but both were uncomfortable to shoot with me. I have large hands, and drawing them was almost a juggling act...shooting was worse. My hands are just too big.