LCP Custom

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
Have had the old LCP for years and actually thought it to be quite accurate at 10 yds, bought the new custom, better trigger and sights and it is shooting terrible groups. Don't think it's me, still shoot the old one pretty good, any issues like this from others?

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
ftlupton said:
Have had the old LCP for years and actually thought it to be quite accurate at 10 yds, bought the new custom, better trigger and sights and it is shooting terrible groups. Don't think it's me, still shoot the old one pretty good, any issues like this from others?
Hmmm...from the upgrades Ruger did to that little pistol, shooting bad groups is one problem you should not be having. :?

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
I'm going to give it one more try, new ammo, no reloads, 10 yds then shoot both as a comparison, if same results then I call Ruger I guess.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
Been there done that, sand bag, squeeze, control your grip and bang, a foot from hold point.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I've been on a dealers waiting list for a couple of the Custom LCP's since mid May.
Now you have me wondering if I should scrap that idea. I know my very early production LCP leaves allot to be desired the little I've fired it. This was the first negative thing I've heard about the Custom LCP's. The only reason I've even considered a LCP is the convenience of slipping it in my pocket.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
Hopefully shooting tomorrow, bought 100rds of Win 95gr fmj, will benchrest it, then do the same with the old lcp and post results. Don't give up, yet still think this is an improvement on the old model but time will tell as they say.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
ftlupton said:
Hopefully shooting tomorrow, bought 100rds of Win 95gr fmj, will benchrest it, then do the same with the old lcp and post results. Don't give up, yet still think this is an improvement on the old model but time will tell as they say.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your latest range report.
I think allot of my problems were the results of using some Winchester Flat point (nose) ammo. I had several F.T.F. and several times the slide didn't go into full battery. I also fired 12 CCI Gold Dots, 3 out of the 12 didn't feed. Since then I have polished the feed ramp. I haven't been back to the range since to try it with any different ammo. I know it feeds the Remington Ultimate Defense ammo.I need to run it through it's paces before I start carrying it. I know this early production LCP I'm the proud owner of has the worst trigger I've even seen on any gun.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
I thought of swapping barrels, thanks for reminding me, may do that tomorrow. I have Win and Remington bullets so will try both.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
OK, good day with the LCP's, the new one shot just fine, same as the old one. Must have had a bad day last week. I shot 20 rounds of Win and 20 rounds of Remington, like the Rems a little better, good groups for my old eyes and these tiny guns. In reality the old one shoots every bit as good as the new one and if to do it over I would just keep the old model, I'm used to the trigger by now and I sight over the barrel anyway but I have two so I'm keepin em. The really big news for me anyway was Assad Ayoob was at my range and I got to shake hands and visit just a little. He was most gracious and very nice to talk to, great day for me and the LCP.

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk said:
ftlupton said:

I'll be looking forward to seeing your latest range report.
I think allot of my problems were the results of using some Winchester Flat point (nose) ammo. I had several F.T.F. and several times the slide didn't go into full battery. I also fired 12 CCI Gold Dots, 3 out of the 12 didn't feed. Since then I have polished the feed ramp. I haven't been back to the range since to try it with any different ammo. I know it feeds the Remington Ultimate Defense ammo.I need to run it through it's paces before I start carrying it. I know this early production LCP I'm the proud owner of has the worst trigger I've even seen on any gun.
Lol. You think your trigger is bad, you should try the trigger on my Beretta PICO! It is smooth and grit free, but dang it's HEAVY. It is an accurate little gun though.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
With the Winchesters I had one failure to eject, rest were good but the Remingtons ran perfect and were more accurate by a little. I carry Hornady Critical Defense loads only, they feed perfect and I trust em. Use them in my 9mm and my .357 as well.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
ftlupton said:
With the Winchesters I had one failure to eject, rest were good but the Remingtons ran perfect and were more accurate by a little. I carry Hornady Critical Defense loads only, they feed perfect and I trust em. Use them in my 9mm and my .357 as well.

Sounds like a step in the right direction.

Ferguson........... That 380 Winchester Flat Point ammo is/was a big disappointment. I've been half way blaming the gun and I'm sure the Winchester ammo is most of the problem. It's my own fault for grabbing the box of them without reading more. I saw 380 and grabbed it, not noticing it was the Flat Point.

usmc6433-6437 I wouldn't have expected Beretta to have that heavy a trigger on their PICO. I've never looked at a PICO. I have a couple Beretta's and I'm not overly impressed with either of them.
I'm sure Beretta, Ruger and the rest of them are making these pocket guns like that purposely because so many will ended up in pockets without a pocket holster.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
Have to give a shoutout to Galloway. Ordered 2 ss guide rods and in less than 5 days they were in my mailbox, I call that service! LCP's are runnin great, at least with Remington ammo.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I think Remington is the best basic FMJ ammo out there. Perfect function, reasonable cost, good accuracy and velocity, and the brass makes great reloads. I carry it in my Glock 42 and LCP.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The Winchesters don't seem to have enough recoil for reliable function. Over my chronograph they show around 40 fps less velocity than Remington or Federal.