Just picked up a 9E

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
Rode along to the local pusher yesterday with my brother to pick up some guns he bought last week (silly IL waiting period). I noticed a nice clean 9E on the used rack. Tag said $300 but I talked them down to $275. Even found a 2 pack of Ruger 17 rnd factory mags for it at the same shop. I go to pick it up this week some time.

This is my first striker pistol. I've got a safe full of revolvers, a 1911 and a couple DA/SA pistols. Hopefully I can get used to the striker trigger.

I think for the price I'd of been foolish to pass it up. How do you guys like the SR series in general?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
41-44-45-48 said:
Rode along to the local pusher yesterday with my brother to pick up some guns he bought last week (silly IL waiting period). I noticed a nice clean 9E on the used rack. Tag said $300 but I talked them down to $275. Even found a 2 pack of Ruger 17 rnd factory mags for it at the same shop. I go to pick it up this week some time.

This is my first striker pistol. I've got a safe full of revolvers, a 1911 and a couple DA/SA pistols. Hopefully I can get used to the striker trigger.

I think for the price I'd of been foolish to pass it up. How do you guys like the SR series in general?

Got one, like it a lot. I know some folks have had occasional problems related to quality control, but I've never had an issue with the 9E. Had it a little over a year and around 500rds thru it. Eats whatever I feed it.

First thing to do when you get it home is remove the magazine safety/disconnect. You'll get a better trigger for 5 minutes tinkering. How-to's on Youtube. Pretty simple. :)

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
Have never owned a Ruger striker fired pistol, but the striker fired pistols I have do just fine. Strikers "feel" different than hammers, but they are pretty consistent from shot to shot.

1SG Ret

Bearcat
I've had my 9E for about a month and have two range sessions under my belt. I've had a couple of stovepipes but I'm blaming my grip and/or the ammunition I was using, not the pistol. I used to own a SR9 and regretted selling it, hence the new 9E. I really like all of the changes on the 9E. The blue finish is different on the 9E, but just as pretty as the SR9. I wish you well with your new purchase.

P.S. I do recommend you degrease and clean it before your first range session....I didn't, and that may be the underlying cause of my minor issues.

E

Single-Sixer
Picked one up last week and am very pleased so far. I second 1SG Ret's advice to clean before shooting. This is my second striker-fired Ruger (1st was an SR9c), and I have been pleased with both. Like the bigger dots on the 9E sights much better than the SR9c.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
As to the cleaning issue, I've seen this across multiple major manufacturers over the last several years. There appears to be little or no attention paid to delivering a clean pistol. The last few I've taken down have been as dirty as any 200 round range session I'd shoot right out of the box. Just different kinds of fouling, grease, shavings, ect. I can't even single out a single manufacturer by name as being the worst. But I have noticed if your firearm was produced overseas expect grease that needs to be removed.

Jschmatt

Bearcat
Love my 9E. Absolutely no issues. I did throughly clean it prior to shooting. You never know.

websterz

Single-Sixer
My SR9 has well over 6k rounds through it. I cleaned it tonight and inspected the internals. Nothing more that a bit of polishing anywhere inside. Awesome pistol, and my EDC.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I pick up a sr9 last June it took 500 rounds to get use to it also changing parts now after 4000 rounds plus it is my go to gun for IDPA and Steel Plates matches

websterz

Single-Sixer
lonewolf5347 said:
I pick up a sr9 last June it took 500 rounds to get use to it also changing parts now after 4000 rounds plus it is my go to gun for IDPA and Steel Plates matches
If you don't mind me asking, what parts are you changing and why?

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
websterz said:
lonewolf5347 said:
If you don't mind me asking, what parts are you changing and why?
3.5 Trigger Reset Bar
and cut 2 coils off the striker spring also polished all internals parts
The gun is used for IDPA if I were to carry it I would leave the striker spring stock

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
Taterman said:
How much did the trigger reset bar help? Any details?

it did help a little not a super great deal as they state
I have the newer model sr9 the striker block has no pin hole at 4 o clock
I would say the newer model has a improve trigger bar already installed from ruger.

Taterman

Buckeye
lonewolf5347 said:
Taterman said:
How much did the trigger reset bar help? Any details?

it did help a little not a super great deal as they state
I have the newer model sr9 the striker block has no pin hole at 4 o clock
I would say the newer model has a improve trigger bar already installed from ruger.

Thanks. My wife's is almost 4 years old, so the trigger bar should help more I assume?

Latest posts