Ruger American Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

prowler

Single-Sixer
Hello everyone:
What do you think the new pistol Ruger just introduce a few month ago call Ruger American? Which caliber do you like?

Mike J

Hunter
I bought one in 9mm a few weeks ago for my wife. She is happy. I believe it to be a good gun but we need to get some more rounds through it.

I've got one in 9mm. Works flawlessly, as do so many other plastic handguns. Only difference I see, between this and all the other inexpensive plastic guns, is they all have different grip geometry and size, which may or may not suit every shooter. This Ruger American, with the replaceable grip modules, fits my hand far better than a Glock.

Accuracy and trigger pull? Saying any one is great, I'd have to ask "compared to what?" Compared to all the other plastic guns, I'd say it's comparable to any.

Often I buy guns, just to try them out, then peddle them. This one's been on the sales block for quite some time, and there's absolutely zero interest. So I don't know if folks are just not interested in this offering, or if the market is just so saturated with disposable guns that there wasn't room for another. I suspect the dealers don't have great sales expectations, as they will not stock them in my area. The gun I bought is the only one I'd ever saw at any dealer.

WAYNO.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My local guy says that when his distributor has both in stock he usually orders the SR's because they sell faster. He also says that compared to the rollout of the SR9, LCP, and even LC9 there isn't much buzz about the RAP among his customers.

Mike J

Hunter
I don't think the RAP got as much PR as the SR series. I prefer it to the SR due to its lack of unnecessary safety features that could potentially harm the gun (magazine disconnect). We chose it for the wife due to the interchangeable grips & its weight. She doesn't like recoil. The American weighs 30 ounces which should helps ease recoil for her. I like it though I don't seem to get as excited about polymer guns as I once did.

jasondoc

Bearcat
I have been shopping for my first gun and I think I am sold on the Ruger American. I have also shopped Beretta and Sig Sauer, would appreciate guidance. Is the composite body an issue? Feels great.

findlayref19

Bearcat
jasondoc said:
I have been shopping for my first gun and I think I am sold on the Ruger American. I have also shopped Beretta and Sig Sauer, would appreciate guidance. Is the composite body an issue? Feels great.

I would see no problem with the composite/ plastic frame. It has proven very durable. I would advise that you try and shoot those guns (or like models) prior to making a purchase. I (and I suspect many) have thought it feels great in the store, only to find out that it just isn't a good fit when you get it to the range.
Good Luck and Welcome to the forum!

Check out the Sig P320 and Walther PPQ G2, just for comparison sake. The Ruger American pistol, along with these other to mentioned, supposedly have the best triggers on the Market. From the few I've shot them against, that's not a lie. In fact, they killed everything else I've compared them against.

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
The RAP looks good, but I don't like the looks of the serrations on the slide. I would imagine they work well though. I have not even seen any in the LGS's around me, but when I do, I would like to handle one at least.

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
They just released a manual safety version. I"m like'n this. That was the one issue I had last year looking at them is that they are just like a Glock on safety. I have seen personally way too many ADs with Glocks. The new thumb safety makes it like the 1911 I grew up with. you can now carry cocked and locked it appears. Waiting to see some reviews or handle one at the LGS.
For me this became a viable pistol for my needs.

I just saw the RAP compared against the H&K VP9. The Ruger lost in the ergonomics dept. but won in trigger dept. The accuracy of both guns was comparable.

I compared one of the pre-manual safety models to a Sig P320 in a review, now I just need to find it.

I sold my Sig P250 to help fund a Sig P320 and RAP for this review. Now I'm interested in a VP9 to go head to head. Might need to get a Walther PPQ V2 just to make it fair for everybody.

OkOk, guess I'm trying to find an excuse to get some more guns.

But seriously, this is the first time anybody has manufactured any SERIOUS polymer frame pistols to compete on the market, because most of the stuff I've shot (and I've shot a lot) had been junk. Well I mainly shoot CZ75 series and Sig P series pistols.

Buts it's really nice to see Ruger manufacture a gun that can hold it's own against the "Big boys" on the current market.

Let's hope they keep up the good work!

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Let's just hope that Mr. Ruger can convince LEO and military!

ConradM

Blackhawk
Just went and handled one of these at Cabelas. Had my eye on it since reviews started popping up.

Overall I really liked it. Like really liked it. Over the years I've owned the SR9, XDM, CZ75b and currently have a G19 and M&P9.
I would say the RAP is the most solid feeling ~$500 - $700 pistol I've ever handled. The action was super smooth as was the trigger break. The grip ergos were nice like the XDM or M&P but thinner which I liked.

The ONLY thing wrong with the gun is the reset. It's just a little too long. But I guess so was the reset on the XDM so I could probably get used to it.

Again, just wanted to drop a line to say how impressive the RAP is. Nice job Ruger.

Mr. Don

Bearcat
I shoot a RAP and a Walther PPQ. The only advantage the Walther has is the trigger and trigger reset. The Walthers trigger is the best factory trigger I have ever shot. The RAP in 9mm is a fine weapon and deserves a look if you are looking for a full sized duty pistol.