LCP MAG SET PROBLEMS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

garddogg56

Bearcat
Bought my wife a second generation LCP and some Winchester hollow points ammo and I had problems seting the mag to chamber so off to your website and found that if I push the top round to the rear I wouldn't have a problem seting the mag and it worked,thinking it's a breakin thing so today I bought a new mag and some ball nose ammo and still have to push in the top bullet. Is this common or a breakin thing or should I be concerned?Thanx Bob

hittman

Staff member
I'd consider 300 to 500 rounds an appropriate break in period.

Welcome to the Forum.

garddogg56

Bearcat
I usually do 500 rounds on reg size pistols but these sub compacts are a hole differant animal and I've never had to push the top bullet back on a mag ever.I have read of this happening in these forums and am wondering if anyone has had this happen on an LCP?She's been a reliable and accurate gun so far,but this to me is a little wierd.Thanx Hittman I will give her more rounds before I let Sue carry it but I want my BG380 BACK in my possesion.

hittman

Staff member
I've never had the problem you describe either.
Mine was light primer strikes.

garddogg56

Bearcat
Same here Hittman,and it seems no one else in this forum has had this problem.I needed another mag anyway so the problem if it doesn't work out most likely its internal :?: like you suggest I'll give her 5or6 hundred rounds before I show my gumsmith or call Ruger.

hittman

Staff member
Heck, it wouldn't hurt a thing to call Ruger now. They may know something we don't. And, you can rest assured they'll go completely and thoroughly through the gun for all functions before you get it back.

What is wrong with fully seating the first round? The magazine holds all the rest in line. Why shouldn't the top one be in line? Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
gramps

trjggerjerk

Bearcat
My gen 1 with almost 2000 rounds thru it: noticed when unloading that mag won't drop due to top round sliding forward in mag and hanging on feed ramp. Caught myself slapping pistol to slide round back in mag for clearance. Duh! Point gun in safe direction. Catch ejected round as slide is locked back. Slide top round in mag to rear. Remove mag! Never caused other malfunction.

Don't know bout my gen 2. Unloaded it by pulling the trigger 50 times and put it up....