Ruger 9E first range trip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

midias

Bearcat
I just got back from the range with my new 9E a few minor problems and one question.
Before I took it out I cleaned all the grease out of the firearm and then lightly lubed it with Ballistol as I usually do with striker fired pistols.

I put 200 rounds through it
100 Perfecta
50 Federal Brass
50 Blazer Brass

The perfecta and blazer shot well but the federal gave me a stovepipe every so often. That is not a big issue but what I found more concerning was the trigger would not always reset. It seemed to happen at least ever other magazine and almost always on the last round. I tried taking out the mag disconnect but nothing changed so I put it back.

Any ideas?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
midias said:
I just got back from the range with my new 9E a few minor problems and one question.
Before I took it out I cleaned all the grease out of the firearm and then lightly lubed it with Ballistol as I usually do with striker fired pistols.

100 Perfecta
50 Federal Brass
50 Blazer Brass

The perfecta and blazer shot well but the federal gave me a stovepipe every so often. That is not a big issue but what I found more concerning was the trigger would not always reset. It seemed to happen at least ever other magazine and almost always on the last round. I tried taking out the mag disconnect but nothing changed so I put it back.

Any ideas?

I think the trigger reset issue may even rate a trip back to Ruger for inspection/repair. That's what I'd do anyway. As far as failing to cycle the Federal, as you may know Federal 124/ 115 grain FMJ is known as being on the light side. It's possible it's not hot enough to cycle your slide. It's possible this would go away with a little more break in.

Having said that I think it should have run the Federal right out of the box, but sometimes pistols are a little tight at first.

But again about the trigger reset, that's obviously a show stopper. Sorry you ran into stoppages.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
midias said:

100 Perfecta
50 Federal Brass
50 Blazer Brass

Any ideas?

Haven't had a reset (or any other) problem with mine, so no idea. Sorry.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Another thought, that Federal you fired. - Did you buy it fresh or was it something that may had been sitting around for a few years? Did the reset issues occur across all brands or just the Federal?

midias

Bearcat
Rei40c said:
Another thought, that Federal you fired. - Did you buy it fresh or was it something that may had been sitting around for a few years? Did the reset issues occur across all brands or just the Federal?

The failure to reset was on all brands all magazines. The federal was bought about 3 days before the range trip.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
midias said:
Rei40c said:

The failure to reset was on all brands all magazines. The federal was bought about 3 days before the range trip.

Too bad that would have been an easy fix. No Idea Midias, I'm of the opinion guns should not really need a break in period. But 200 rounds seems a fair break in. If it where mine I'd send it back is all I could say.

1SG Ret

Bearcat
I ordered a 9E from an on-line dealer and pick it up from my FFL today. I plan to shoot it on Saturday and will let you know how it goes. I used to own a SR9 and it was flawless. Missing it was the reason I got the 9E.

midias

Bearcat
Just a small update while at the range I was able to reproduce it by dry firing with a mag inserted, locking it back on the empty mag and then removing it and hitting the slide release. Reproduced at least 80% of the time at the range. Got it home and cleaned it out with hoppes solvent then with rubbing alcohol. After I gave it a quick lube and then it dropped to about 5%.

I may try another range trip or a call to Ruger not sure which first yet.

I know their SR9C line had similar issues but usually not out of the box but after a bunch of shooting.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
midias said:
Just a small update while at the range I was able to reproduce it by dry firing with a mag inserted, locking it back on the empty mag and then removing it and hitting the slide release. Reproduced at least 80% of the time at the range. Got it home and cleaned it out with hoppes solvent then with rubbing alcohol. After I gave it a quick lube and then it dropped to about 5%.

I may try another range trip or a call to Ruger not sure which first yet.

I know their SR9C line had similar issues but usually not out of the box but after a bunch of shooting.

I wish you luck with it, I'd say you've done your fair share to get it running again on your own. (More than most would have). I wouldn't feel bad at all about contacting Ruger. In my personal experience sending an SR back once and from what I hear from others is that in cases of problems in operation expect a "shotgun fix."

That is when they replace the striker, trigger bar, perhaps even the ejector, springs ect ect. Put it all back together again check that it's up to spec then send it home. They do this because it's much cheaper than puzzling over each and every firearm return trying to diagnose a problem. And probably 10 times faster as well. Just an idea of what to expect. Keep us updated.

Jschmatt

Bearcat
I've got about 200 rounds through mine also. No issues yet, but will post if anything comes up.

midias

Bearcat
So I let some Ballistol sit in that area for a while and then blew it out with compressed air. I have no had the issue again with dryfiring. I am going to go to the range and see what happens. This is just a range gun so I am not too worried right now but any future failures and back to ruger for repair. I just want to give it a fair break in first.

Mike J

Hunter
My only experience with the SR series was shooting a few rounds through one at a rental range several years ago so I really don't know anything about that platform or the 9E. With that said if I bought a new Ruger pistol & it did not perform properly out of the box I would contact them & request a shipping label.

1SG Ret

Bearcat
I fired my new 9e for the first time yesterday, 50 rounds of S&B 115gr. No issues until a stovepipe on the very last round. I'm certain it was my fault because I relaxed my grip. No trigger reset issues. I did degrease and clean before the range session. I'm pleased with it and will shoot it again today.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Does it always reset when you dry fire and recock with no mag installed? The parts that control the trigger reset sit right behind the mag so maybe it is putting pressure on something. The SR9C I used to have would occasionally stovepipe and fail to reset when using 17 round mags, with or without the grip adapter. With the short 10 round mags it was flawless.

midias

Bearcat
FergusonTO35 said:
Does it always reset when you dry fire and recock with no mag installed? The parts that control the trigger reset sit right behind the mag so maybe it is putting pressure on something. The SR9C I used to have would occasionally stovepipe and fail to reset when using 17 round mags, with or without the grip adapter. With the short 10 round mags it was flawless.

No it does not this last trip to the range it got even worse failing to reset every 2 or 3 rounds So I sent the pistol back to Ruger I tried one more trip to the range this last weekend still had the issue and was leaving small dents in the primer of the next round. So as fun as a slam fire full auto 9mm would be I decided to let the mother ship fix it for me. They gave me a shipping label and said 7-10 days

Mike J

Hunter
The one time I sent a pistol back to Ruger it was back within a week. I hope it comes back right.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Was about 8-9 days if I recall for mine round trip from having a walking pin taken care of.

midias

Bearcat
Rei40c said:
Was about 8-9 days if I recall for mine round trip from having a walking pin taken care of.

The lady from ruger told me to expect 7-10 days from the day I send it.

midias

Bearcat
Got it back today, about 8 days total including ship time.

Here is the report

Replaced the Fire Control Housing, Trigger Bar reset

Repaired the Thumb Safety lever.

IMG_20160622_123921352_zpsagm6o5ni.jpg