Ruger P345 are they that undesirable?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

arm

Bearcat
Just bought one recently, near new. Great shooter, hits were I aim ,eats everything I feed it.
I don't understand reading so many negatives on the web. What say you?

P345_zpsqvllyajq.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
When you hear a 'click' followed by silence .... You'll see what people are talking about.

As a range gun probably no issues .... For carry ? Nope.

REV

Mike J

Hunter
What Rev is referring to is what they called "click no bang". It happens because of the pistol being dry fired without a magazine in place. Some folks choose to eliminate this by removing the magazine disconnect safety. Some do not like the idea of removing a "safety" device from a firearm. Whatever you choose to do is your decision.

I picked one up in a pawn shop years ago & liked the way the grip felt. I wanted one until I came on here & read the reports about this. It caused me to decide to go a different direction.

demented

Single-Sixer
Mine developed the "click, no bang" right of the bat, Ruger claimed I'd dry fired with no magazine which was BS, it was brand new. Got it back from Ruger, wasn't long before it began misfiring again. Got tired of that, took it apart, did a couple "fixes" and never had another problem. If one came my way at a decent price I wouldn't be afraid of it, I can fix another the same way I did the first.

lashlaruhe

Bearcat
I have several and like them, but I removed the stupid mag disconnect that Ruger uses. S&W mag disconnect disables the trigger and is a more intelligent way to do it, if you feel the need for that feature.

loaded round

Hunter
Both my younger son and I have P345's as our nightstand SHF firearms, and previously removed the mag safety on both. We do not make a habit of dry firing these pistols, but do fire a full mag once a month. Both have been totally reliable for us the past 4-5 years. 'Nuff said!

welder

Buckeye
loaded round said:
Both my younger son and I have P345's as our nightstand SHF firearms, and previously removed the mag safety on both. We do not make a habit of dry firing these pistols, but do fire a full mag once a month. Both have been totally reliable for us the past 4-5 years. 'Nuff said!

I have never had a problem with any of the three I've owned, all bought new and none ever dry fired, not once. I removed the mag safety on one but left the others in. A soft shooting accurate p gun that I have enjoyed and would not pass up on another one if a deal came along. The operating principles are straight p gun and until Ruger lawyered up the p345, they were near bulletproof designs. Mine, and other's seem to still be.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The dry-fire w/o mag damage is more common with owners who don't understand the operation (nor even read the manual), but if you can brush your teeth you can remove the disconnector quickly. Job done.

Personally I've never had any issues with my Prescott P345 guns. I also do not dry-fire guns, as snap-caps are common and cheap. They have been coffee-cup accurate from the start, and feed the killing bullets I choose without problems. I can tell you that if you show up at Gunsite with a practiced P345, you will not be ridiculed.

Does this gun have the plastic rail? Rather does the slide ride right on the plastic frame?

This design lent itself well to the "old style" hard plastic construction, but I've read several places when Ruger started using the softer material this became an issue. The modern Ruger designs corrected this and the slide rides on metal frame inserts.

Not a fan of a design that has the potential to tear itself apart.

loaded round

Hunter
The P345 has a steel slide and a polymer frame. However there are steel inserts inside the polymer frame that the slide runs on. Design is quite similar to that of the Glock line of pistols by comparison. All in all a very good system.

Al James

Hunter
The P345 has the same polymer rails as the P95 and P97. That said I have never personally had a rail issue with any of them. I do remember seeing at least one pistol with a rail broken off from direct impact [dropped]. Seems Roy had one break at one point if I remember right.

JTQ

Bearcat
loaded round said:
The P345 has a steel slide and a polymer frame. However there are steel inserts inside the polymer frame that the slide runs on. Design is quite similar to that of the Glock line of pistols by comparison. All in all a very good system.
I believe you are mistaken.

Al James is correct...
The P345 has the same polymer rails as the P95 and P97. That said I have never personally had a rail issue with any of them.

loaded round

Hunter
Never ashamed to admit that I'm wrong. I pulled my slide, looked in, and I am wrong, sorry about that.

JTQ said:
loaded round said:
I believe you are mistaken.

Al James is correct...
The P345 has the same polymer rails as the P95 and P97. That said I have never personally had a rail issue with any of them.

Gregg1LE

Single-Sixer
I have no compliants on the P345. Owned one for three years always went bang when I pulled the trigger. Replaced by a Springfield XD Tactical.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
I liked them but didn't $500 like them when a P95 was $329 in the same store on the same shelf. Too much money for a Ruger pistol.