Sr9c striker and block plunger damage? pics added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

timboy

Bearcat
So I have been chasing the gritty trigger gremlins out of my Sr9c and have found the problem,the portion of the striker where the block plunger engages it and the mating area on the pluger both seem to be damaged and rough.

To confirm this I removed the plunger and spring and my trigger felt better than when it was brand new.
Has anyone else run into this,I am going to send Ruger an Email to see what they say.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Looks to be very minor, you could lightly buff wear areas with crocus paper. This would provide smooth contact surfaces, less likely to wear. How much dry firing have you done without dummy snap caps to protect internal striker parts?

timboy

Bearcat
The damage is worse than it appears on the striker because I had previously filed a sharp peened or otherwise damaged edge off.
I am guilty of dry firing it a fair amount without a snap cap.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Looks like replacement parts from Ruger might be appropriate. Seems to me that I recall the manual on the SR 9C stating that if you're going to drive fire you should have the magazine in the pistol. When I purchased my snap caps midway soon to have the best deal.

timboy

Bearcat
MountainWalker said:
Looks like replacement parts from Ruger might be appropriate. Seems to me that I recall the manual on the SR 9C stating that if you're going to drive fire you should have the magazine in the pistol. When I purchased my snap caps midway soon to have the best deal.
They recomend that because of the magazine disconect,I have that part removed from my pistol.
I messaged Ruger they gave me a number to call to get a return authorization #,I wish they would just send me the parts but we will see how it goes.

Taterman

Buckeye
My wife dry fires our SR9 quite a bit with an empty magazine in and we still have the mag disconnect in. I'd like to remove the disconnect, and curious if they say anything about dry firing without the mag installed after removing the disconnect.

timboy

Bearcat
Taterman said:
My wife dry fires our SR9 quite a bit with an empty magazine in and we still have the mag disconnect in. I'd like to remove the disconnect, and curious if they say anything about dry firing without the mag installed after removing the disconnect.
I am putting the magazine disconnect back in and swapping out my ghost trigger reset bar before I send it in,from what I have read it seemed comon practice for people to dry fire with the diconnect removed but maybee snap caps are the way to go.
I got a return authorization # and a shipping label so she is going back to Arizona for a check out after I return it back to stock parts.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Taterman said:
If the magazine disconnect is removed, there is no damage from dry firing. Ruger, of course, isn't going to address that since they can't recommend removing the disconnect for liability purposes.

Taterman

Buckeye
Thanks guys. One of these days I'll have to remove the disconnect. I'm not very experienced in working on guns but it sounds fairly simple to do.

timboy

Bearcat
Got it back from Ruger today,the repair sheet says they replace pretty much the entire trigger group,strike and plungerr,extractor,slide lock and repaired the barrel and saftey lever.
The trigger felt better but I didnt get a chance to play with it much or pull it apart to examine it.

Very satisfied with the customer service I recieved,there reputation is very well deserved!

(Edit)
Took the mag disconector back out and went to the range today,100 rounds,works perfect and the trigger is much smother.