Enjoying my LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Picked up a new LCP last week and have been shooting it over the past few days. I've been feeding it 2.7 grains Bullseye over a 100 grain lead bullet. Accuracy is as good as my S&W 637 and it functions 100%. Im really impressed with the shiny surface finish of the barrel. It's as slick as my Glocks and squirts out lead bullets with no brushing required.

The only thing I don't like so far is the brass goes too far to be found easily, which is important as 99% of my shooting is with reloads. I ordered a Wolff spring pack with 11, 12, and 13 pound recoil springs in it. One of those should calm it down. I notice they come with extra power firing pin springs. I wonder if these are really necessary? I presume they are included to prevent slam fires due to the stronger recoil springs.

Mike J

Hunter
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I haven't shot an LCP. I did shoot a Kel-Tec P3AT which is very similar I believe. Snappy little thing. It wasn't my cup of tea but I find myself wondering if I should reconsider just 'cause it is a gun you can carry when you can't carry a gun.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
You ought to try an LCP if you get the chance. Ruger has really improved the original Kel Tec design. I think mine is as easy to shoot as my S&W 637 with target wadcutters.

Mike J

Hunter
I may have to reconsider & take the risk. Especially since PSA has been running them for $200 from time to time lately.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
If you reload it shouldn't be hard to come up with a load that is easy to shoot and has respectable punch. I only carry FMJ or lead solids in mine as I want the slug to penetrate as far as it can into the bad guy. The minuscule advantage of a hollow point round (provided it does expand) is far outweighed by the increased recoil and cost.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Still enjoying the LCP, have put around 150 rounds through it so far. One thing I like is this gun is most accurate when you press the trigger quickly, as you would in a defensive situation. Don't bother to stage it or be smooth, you'll just pull shots low. I got a Wolff spring kit for it. The 11 pound spring seems to work best, it does keep the brass from going quite so far. I got a Galati Gear pocket holster for it on Fleabay. The exterior is really tacky and it covers more of the slide than most do, which I like.

I have had an LCP for a few years. I love mine because it helps me fulfill the number one rule of a gunfight-HAVE A GUN! Finding the brass from any semi auto is a PITA IMO. Therefore I don't reload for semi autos. I do enjoy hearing how others carry, use ammo etc. Thanks.
gramps

44RED

Bearcat
I bought one last week. My first ever pocket auto. All I have ever pocket carried was a 5 shot 38. I love it and it shoots to POA and functions great. I wished I had made this move years ago.

LCP fan !!!!

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I don't find the snubby to be an ideal pocket gun, though I do carry my S&W 637 that way sometimes. Too wide for comfort. The LCP and similar are just perfect for that application.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I have my LCP from 2012 must have more then 1,000 rounds down the bore and yes the brass on the ruger go all different ways .

I had only one problem with it when I upgraded the slide spring to a heavy weight spring.
I returned to the stock set up and never had a he-cup.
My load is 95 gr. lead R.N. with 2.8 gr. of Bullseye powder.
The load is a tack driver out to 15 yards .
I really like the ruger it is my go to carry gun: I run Fiocchi 95 gr. h.p. mixed with Hornady Critical defense ammo

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Interesting! My do everything load for my LCP is the Lee 356-102-2R bullet over 2.7 grains Bullseye and a Federal primer. It clocks 785 fps and is very accurate.

Vettebeach

Bearcat
44RED said:
I bought one last week. My first ever pocket auto. All I have ever pocket carried was a 5 shot 38. I love it and it shoots to POA and functions great. I wished I had made this move years ago.

LCP fan !!!!

I must be missing something. I can't hit a damn thing with mine unless I squeeze the living heck out of it. (And I'm a regular shooter with many other options). It's a great carry piece, but accurate ? Not for me, anyway.....

garddogg56

Bearcat
First post for I got my wife a second gen LCP and have used your forum for info,you guys carry some very good info in your post just wanted to learn about Rugers as my only other is a aniversary 10-22 for which I love.THANX Bob

Welcome to the forum garddogg. The LCP is an excellent choice if it fits your hand. It helps you follow the number one rule of a gun fight-HAVE A GUN! Sorry for the repetition, :shock: but you will get the message. 8)
gramps

lineman73

Bearcat
Last week, I had just received my quarterly stock dividend check from AT&T and was out cruising gun shops. I was just looking for what I could not live without. Amazingly enough, after 5 local shops, nothing had called out to me. I was shocked!! Well, when I hit shop #6 that changed. There on a top shelf sat a used Ruger LCP. The price tag said $199. It was not chiseled in stone, it was black magic marker on a cardboard tag, so........haggling was in order!! When the owner and I finished up, a price was set that we could both agree on....$185, out the door. So the little Ruger pistol now has a new home and lots of new friends in the safe.

I'm not a big fan of the .380 auto cartridge for self-defense. I prefer that my defensive pistol calibers start with the number 4. Like .40 S&W or .45 ACP. However, for the price I paid, I was learning to appreciate the little pocket pistol more by the minute. After all, they do have a special nitch for times when wearing clothes that will reveal any defensive pistol of larger size. And as stated in posts above, it does satisfy the first rule of gunfighting--HAVE A GUN!!!

I was looking for a project gun when I bought the LCP. You know, something to stick my fingers into!! When I got home, I made sure that the pistol was unloaded, then got seriously into checking out what made it tick!! No lock back after the last round was not a good point in my mind. It tends to slow down reloads!!! Then I tried out the trigger!! OMG!! It had a bunch of take up, it was heavy, it was gritty, the final break was mushy and it had a bunch of over travel. After over 20 years of competitive shooting, this was the most atrocious trigger that I have ever pulled!! Yes, I admit it, I have a snooty, competition honed trigger finger. I have been using match grade guns for years. This would NOT do!!

I quickly ran to my PC and my nimble, sausage-like fingers quickly brought up the website of Galloway Precision http://gallowayprecision.com/, the purveyor of items that make your Ruger really perform and make your snooty trigger finger do the happy dance!! My inquiries lead me to order an RTK Sweet Pea III trigger, a polished stainless steel guide rod and a no-tools take down pin. Selections made, money exchanged and delivery scheduled. Three days later, my STUFF arrived. I was ready to perform magic!!!

I sat down at the kitchen table with my bench block, roll pin punch kit, a few other precision hand tools and my parts. 35 minutes later (including time to download and print instructions----yeah, I actually used them!), I was done and I had turned the nastiest trigger in the world into a thing of beauty. No more long take up. No more grit. No more mushy break and no over travel. I estimate that the pull was lightened by about 2-3 lbs. and the take up from half cock to full cock and release was consistent and non-stacking. I can live with this!! The scary part is that I still haven't even taken it to the range yet. SOON..........very soon!! Lookin' forward to it. Now all I need it to order more magazines, a pocket holster, maybe a paddle holster and more ammo! Then I'm good to go!! Ready for summer carry!!! :lol: :lol:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I wonder if your LCP is an older one. Mine is new and it has a decent trigger pull for it's price and size. You may want to call Ruger with the serial number and see if it is one that was affected by a recall a few years ago.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I have a 2012 model the trigger for me is not major factor,Yep it is long trigger pull not heavy smooth pull ,I would say no worse then my S@W model 36 chief DA handgun .
I like the gun can't see any major draw back carry it remember it is not a target pistol more like point and shoot maybe maximum 7 yards if needed.

trjggerjerk

Bearcat
Yes, my gen1 trigger is heavy and long. But smooth, smooth, smooth! As someone said above, just go ahead and pull the dang thing! If I feed too much trigger finger to it, finger drags the trigger guard with disastrous results (not as badly as with G***ks). Fingertip only for me. Also had to get support hand finger off front of triggerguard as this high support hand position led to trigger finger contacting said support hand and again, adversely affecting poi.

Gen 2 trigger has lighter/shorter pull out of the box, but there is more gap between bottom of trigger and trigger guard. Did they try to fix my personal problem as described above? Anyway, this gap caused pain and, yes, blood during the 1 box I have shot thru it.

Both are still surprisingly accurate at close range...

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
I too love my LCP. Its a gen 1 with sights that are non-existant but it just seems to point and shoot for me. At a friends house the other weekend and he couldn't believe how well I was ringing his steel targets at 20 yards!!

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Tried Federal and Winchester factory ammo for the first time in my LCP today. Much less accurate than my lead bullet reloads. Recoil seemed about the same.