Ruger American Pistol Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
Okay so I bought this because my wife does not like recoil but she wants to be proficient with a firearm. I figured a full sized 9mm that weighed 30 oz.'s empty should be pretty mild to shoot. We went & shot Saturday. The pistol did fine. I didn't take pics of targets, try to shoot tiny groups etc. I was mostly working with her about grip, stance & using the sights. She shot better with this pistol than she has anything else to date. I believe it is because she wasn't worried that it was going to hurt her. We have more work to do but I believe we are on the right track.

We fired about 80 rounds of full metal jacket & hollow points. She fired about 50 of them. Then she said she was tired & wanted to quit. I fired a few more & ran a few magazines through my old XD & let it go for the day.

We didn't have any malfunctions. I like the pistol fine. The medium grip shell that came on it felt really nice to me. We shot it with the small grip on it because that is what fits her hand the best. It was okay but I think I would have shot better with the larger grip. I believe it is a good gun. Time will tell where the wife ends up at as a shooter but I think this is a good starting point.

s4s4u

Hunter
Time will tell where the wife ends up at as a shooter but I think this is a good starting point.

You gotta start somewhere. I started my daughter with a P95 because it soaks up recoil so well and she quickly laid claim to it as hers. She now loves to shoot any time I suggest we get some trigger time. Glad to hear the gun runs well. Keep at it!

Mike J

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
Glad to hear of the success. The interchangeable grip shells are ideal when more than one pair of hands will be using the pistol.

The shell isn't hard to change. I just didn't want to fool with it while we were passing the gun back & forth. Next time out I may swap to the medium grip & see if I can try to get some small groups.

I do need to pick up an uplula loader. A loading tool didn't come with this pistol & it was a pain in the butt the few times I loaded all 17 rounds.