Ruger P89 - 30 Luger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I have a new Ruger P89 in 9mm and just found, bought a 30 Luger barrel. I already reload for the 41 AE, what's one more oddball cartridge to reload for? I'm not exactly tuned into Ruger semi pistols, pretty much the only reason I bought it is that I'm in CA and they're hard to find and I already had some +10 round mags. I reload and just bought a 30 Luger barrel, which I know is hard to find.

From what I've read I also need a recoil guide rod for the 30 Luger and a recoil spring. I figure the guide rod is almost as much a PITA to find as the barrel, any suggestions on where to get? Numrich doesn't have them, I'll call Ruger but figure they're out. Regarding the spring, is an aftermarket available or is getting an original a "must have" also?

Brass seems easy to find. Does Ruger use a .308 barrel or a .309/310? Any tips on reloading, I plan on using hard cast 100 grain lead if it's .309/310.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
If your guide rod is an open one you can just buy a 9# reduced power spring. If it is a captured rod you can pick up an open rod and do the same.

I also reload for the .41 AE, it's a fun thing to have something that people watch, look and ask questions about.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Cheesewhiz said:
If your guide rod is an open one you can just buy a 9# reduced power spring. If it is a captured rod you can pick up an open rod and do the same.

I also reload for the .41 AE, it's a fun thing to have something that people watch, look and ask questions about.

My pistol has the non-captured. I thought the 30 Luger guide rod was different than the one used for a 9mm - probably was looking at the captured vs non-captured. So it seems getting the guide rod & spring is easy - good news for me, for a change. :!:

It's interesting how learning about one thing helps with another. When I snagged the 41 AE pistol from the gun store a few years back ($199.00 new, gun store owner said "no one will buy this damn thing, it's been here for 10 years) I stumbled on Penn Bullets as a source for correct weight/diameter bullets. Now I see they offer hard cast RNL in 90 grain and diameters from .308 to .310. Should work well for the 30 Luger.

Latest posts