P Series DAO

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
Ever once in awhile a P95 , P97 or a P93 DAO pops up .. Whats the story behind these DAO pistols ..??? Possible LE ??

demented

Single-Sixer
Had one, can't recall but think it might have been a 89, didn't keep it long, never have liked a semiauto with a revolver double action for every shot. LE? Doubt it, I think they were done just to expand model options, just in case someone did like them. There might have been a couple police forces that used them but I've not seen this as fact. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in on this.

roylt

Hunter
Ruger catalog unit but they did make special runs for police use too.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
There was a fad for DAO semiautos to reduce accidental (or careless) discharges from a too light single action pull. Not everyone decocked a "TDA" auto after firing it after the incident was over and the resulting single action pull was deemed a hazard.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The Federal Bureau of Prisons used the P95 DAO as did the U.S. Army Tank Command, they are probably still on duty with these customers too. I wouldn't refuse a free DAO bottom feeder but sure wouldn't spend my money on one either. I put up with it on micro .32 and .380 pistols because the long trigger pull does offer an extra measure of safety and no one makes a striker fired version. That said, the double action pull on the standard P95 I used to have was pretty good compared to others I've tried, including a Sig P225 I also owned at the time.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I have a Sig P250SC .. Which is a DAO ... I really like it .. A long ,but smooth trigger pull .. That breaks very consistently...and has a nice reset..

I think a P93 DAO would be sweet .. If it has similar type trigger as my P250

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
I like DAO for self defense, no safety to take off, no decocker to fiddle with, just pull the trigger and safely put the gun back in it's holster, just like a glock .
nearly every police agency in america carries a glock, or a sig, or a S&W in DAO

SamV

Buckeye
Our local police department issues dao Beretta 92s. So I can easily see that it would have been offered as a stock item.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
The Federal Bureau of Prisons used the P95 DAO as did the U.S. Army Tank Command, they are probably still on duty with these customers too. I wouldn't refuse a free DAO bottom feeder but sure wouldn't spend my money on one either. I put up with it on micro .32 and .380 pistols because the long trigger pull does offer an extra measure of safety and no one makes a striker fired version. That said, the double action pull on the standard P95 I used to have was pretty good compared to others I've tried, including a Sig P225 I also owned at the time.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons actually had a couple Rugers. They adopted the P89DAO in 1994 and has used the P93 and 95DAO's as well.

In 2000 they went to Beretta Vertex 92 DAO an then in 2006 went to Ruger P95 DAO for any new firearm. There are still Rivers and Berettas in the system and issued depending in institution however the approved firearm if institutions have to replace them is now the S&W M&P9.

New staff however use Glock 17's while attending Glynco.

As an instructor using Ruger DAO's they aren't really bad guns just most people do t want to learn the triggers.
They work and work