Pleased with my P95 as everyday carry protection.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
It's been a month or so since I began carrying my new-to-me stainless P95 in the AIWB position on a regular daily basis. I wanted to thank the folks here who contributed their time in answering my questions about the gun. I've never had a polymer framed gun and I had a few concerns about leaving behind steel frames, but only because I have carried a three inch SP101 for all my 19 or so CCW years. Looks like polymer frames are more than just a passing fad. Not just some high tech flash in the pan akin to the Gyrojet pistol, and the Whitney Wolverine and Dardick handguns.
With the P95 I feel a great deal of personal comfort in its traditional DA/SA trigger mechanism. It's what I came to love about my P89 so long ago and I prefer it well and above the cocked and locked SA mode of the HiPower and 1911. And far above the more modern striker fired systems with the trigger blade safety. With my P95 I don't feel the need to give up wearing windbreakers with string waist ties, and rape alert whistles on a chain around my neck. Verily, I love an external hammer and safety and my P95 fits the bill nicely. I like how my thumb covers the lowered hammer and the safety is "on" when I holster my gun, and I can choose at the range table to snick the safety "on" and simultaneously lower the hammer after a string of shots. That decock feature is much more handy than I ever envisioned it would be. Never a fella to depend on safety features of ANY gun more than good safe gun handling precautions, I appreciate the features my P95 incorporates.
About the large capacity. My gun came with a couple stainless magazines, and a wonderful wonderful gentleman here on the forum kindly sent me two (yes TWO) spares he had little need for. Thank you again friend. Honestly I couldn't have afforded to buy two extra non-neutered magazines and these make life much more handy. 15 rounds of ammunition in one magazine make me feel better about concealed carry protection of myself, loving wife and family. It just keeps shooting. And shooting. Large capacity magazines are passe and the norm now but each time I load them I remember back to 1971 and how special I felt helping Daddy load his HiPower with 13 rounds of 90 grain SuperVel before going on duty at the jail in downtown Louisville, KY. I never realized until recently how "undersupplied" I felt with my beautiful SP101 until I decided to carry my P95. But I will never surrender my SP101 because it and I have traveled many years and miles together. It's always gone bangbangbangbangbang without a hiccup, and the reloads I make for 6 cents each are great for teaching others handgun fundamentals too. Its perfect for my own deep concealment when in the shop.
The size of my P95 has taken some getting used to I will admit. Loaded, it's way heavier than my beautiful SP101, but the holster I crafted, snapped on one of my heavy laminated belts, distributes the weight easily. It also helps that I'm 6 feet five and about 300 pounds. At the most, under an untucked shirt it looks like I may have a bulging outtie belly button or a big umbilical hernia. And I have yet to notice people staring at my crotch, but they may just be good at what they do. My wife Miss Penny denies seeing any bulge at my groin. I'm not sure how to take that.
My P95 is very accurate for me. I practice both right and left handed and always double action to start. No paper plate is safe from me. Resting on a sandbag, I can shoot 1 1/2 inch groups at 25 to 30 feet. Any farther from a bad guy than that and I hope to be able to hobble away quickly and avoid his gangsta horizontal hold aim. Along with the James Bond inspired brown trail I would probably have running down my leg to the pavement and my own little girlish piercing screams, I have my expected fat crippled man's tactical retreats covered.
Anyway I am pleased with my P95 very much. I have learned to never try to run it without lubrication, and pray that I NEVER have to use it for any shooting but fun range time. But I now feel adequately prepared for anything I can expect in my little world.
Thanks again everyone for the kind words and pointers. Don.

demented

Single-Sixer
Great post. Its is nice to see someone that likes the P's, that doesn't try to make me feel like an idiot because I'm using an "obsolete, bulky, ugly old school junker"-their words.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
While I pocket carry a smaller pistol as CCW, I keep a Ruger P-Series in each of my vehicles also. I have never been confused with a competition marksman, so they are fine and dependable for me.

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
I get asked all the time about my old rugers"hey thats kinda cool". too bad they aren't making them anymore. glad you got one and like it at much as i do

Tallbald

Buckeye
Many years ago I bought a minty used stainless P89 from a coworker. My son who was 13 at the time immediately laid claim to it as "his" gun. To this day it's his house gun and I remind him that if it ever goes anywhere it comes back to me. He assures me it's never leaving. I do get to shoot it sometimes though (grin). Don.

I too dropped down to a smaller pistol for everyday carry (LC9s pro).... but still .... I have to fly up to New Hampshire next month and I think I'll take my KP95dc with me...

Personally I think the Ruger P95 is just about perfection in a semi-auto pistol... and that of course is why they quite producing them.... no more ability to improve the product so the solution is to develop a new one.

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
I like the P95 but .............I love the P94 frame
I know they are the same size but on a P94/P944
you can change out the grips, (the P95 is too slippery)
the p94 soaks up recoil better (the p95 is too light)

KingCobra

Bearcat
I have a P89Dc and a P95. I am very pleased with both. The P89dc has never failed me and has been a joy to shoot. The P95 I bought used and was failing to extract at first when I tested it (I got a great deal on it hmmm). It fired every time but would not eject the empty shell. I thought I got ripped off but thankfully a merciful gunsmith saw my problem and knew in an instant what it was. He adjusted the extractor in less than 40 seconds and since then (about 300rds) it has performed flawlessly. Like what was mentioned above they are chunky, but they work. I even tried to talk a guy out of buying a Glock. He went to the range with me, we had a Browning Hi Power, Beretta 96, the Ruger p95, and the Glock. The Glock was the only one that jammed.

welder

Buckeye
Don, sounds like life is good in Southern Ky! :D Glad you're enjoying the P95.

Interesting enough, I received a news link from the Ruger news room about a story that ran in Shooting some time ago. Read the article, it was an overall positive piece.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/historical/the-venerable-ruger-p95/

I wondered why Ruger chose to run that link about an old, obsolete, bulky, cheap, breakage prone gun, :roll: instead of another fluff piece on the latest and greatest bullet proof clone or copy of yet another maker's offering? 8)

Enjoy the P95 and when I get down there in the near future I'll bring mine and we'll put a few rounds through if you Like.

Your's truly,
and proudly a P gun fan.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Life is good here in the Bluegrass too. Imitation isn't always a bad thing. Been enjoying my LCP the past few days and I must say it is a big improvement on the Kel Tec original. If Bill Ruger was still in charge I'm not sure that the firm would have any concealed carry offerings other than the heavy SP-101.

Ammo First

Bearcat
The P95 may be the finest polymer handgun ever made. If there is a more accurate, reliable and indestructible polymer handgun, I've yet to see it. Next time you field strip yours, check out the wall thickness of the chamber. It eats +p+ and Hertenberger then laughs in my face.

Like I say... my experience is limited... I've shot a few other type semi-autos... (10 or 15?) the majority were no better or not as good as a P95... as I think about it... I shot a compact Kimber 1911 three weeks ago that was far superior... well, except the front fiber optic sight fell out... and I 'think' the Sig P226 I bought might be better by a tad. My 'jury' is still out as to if it is $700 better......

Latest posts