New SR9c owner

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oujeremy

Bearcat
Hi, new Ruger owner here. Just bought the two-tone SR9c, and now I am trying to decide on upgrading the sights. What recommendations does the board have? Laser sight? Other nighttime option(s)?

I am also looking for any other input from fellow SR9c owner-enthusiasts. What have you experienced with your SR9c that I should be on the look out for. What "must-have" accessories should I invest in?

Looking forward to some good discussion. Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

websterz

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the SR club! I would suggest keeping it simple with the sight upgrade and go with a basic set of Tritium night sights. No batteries to fuss with, and they'll glow bright for a decade or more. Lasers and tactical lights are just unnecessary bulk IMHO. Keep things sleek and slim for a carry piece.

oujeremy

Bearcat
websterz said:
Welcome to the SR club! I would suggest keeping it simple with the sight upgrade and go with a basic set of Tritium night sights. No batteries to fuss with, and they'll glow bright for a decade or more. Lasers and tactical lights are just unnecessary bulk IMHO. Keep things sleek and slim for a carry piece.

Thanks for the reply! Absolutely love the gun, but it needs something like the Tritium sights you mentioned. I will likely go that route.

What kind of ammo do you regularly run through yours? What do you keep in it when carrying it?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
With regards to the laser option many of us including myself have gone down that road and later abandoned it. I hope perhaps i can save you the money I wasted on that experiment. The first reason is with the cheaper laser mounts they usually feature an ambidextrous switch on the sides of the unit. During daily carry these always have a way of accidentally getting mashed on during your normal daily activities (getting into and out of the car I found to be most common) to the "on" position. At the end of the day you have a dead or nearly dead battery. The reputable versions that activate on the grip are more expensive and you may be looking at around $250- $300 for those.

The other argument is controversial in that some argue it encourages poor marksmanship techniques. I've heard both sides of the argument and personally agree now that it does if it's your sole source of aiming. Lasers can disappear on darkly colored clothing, they are extremely difficult to see in bright daytime sunlight.

Perhaps most importantly where the laser point is on the target is absolutely not the place the bullet will go if that's all you rely on and your other fundamentals are poor. Your trigger pull alone can ruin that point of aim.

I think they have a place but it's very limited. An individual with eyesight too poor to use without it for instance. I don't mean to rant or preach, but I like to save people money if I can.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Welcome. What you plan to use the pistol for should dictate sights/ammo, etc. The 9C is not designed as a target or hunting pistol, so fancy sights, etc. are superfluous. It's a self defense gun, which means that other than fun range time it's only going to be used in very close quarters - usually under 10ft. You won't have time to aim, get positioned into a perfect grip or stance, etc. You might not even have time to draw it or dig it out of a bedside lockbox if you plan to keep it as a house gun. If SD is the purpose, keep a round in the pipe and 10 or 17 in the mag. Many people who carry also leave the safety off - one less thing to think about if you're in a hurry.

I would also recommend removing the magazine disconnect. Simple to do yourself. Here's how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CicA7KcWzcM

Holsters - lot's out there. Get one that fits you well, holds the gun securely but is easy to draw from.

If you have it just for fun at the range, then any run of the mill fmj ammo (Blazer for example) is fine and a lot cheaper than say Hornady Critical Duty (which is what I use for carry).

websterz

Single-Sixer
oujeremy said:
Thanks for the reply! Absolutely love the gun, but it needs something like the Tritium sights you mentioned. I will likely go that route.

What kind of ammo do you regularly run through yours? What do you keep in it when carrying it?
I feed my pistols nothing but good home cooking. In the 9 that is 125 grain bullets, cast from fairly soft lead, then powder coated and loaded over Titegroup powder. The soft lead expands well and the powder coating prevents leading.

Latest posts