P85 - Looking to mount a set of LPA SPR adjustable sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

was1911

Bearcat
Has anyone here mounted an LPA SPR adjustable sight set on a P85 - or any other P model Ruger?

I have a friend with one and with the factory fixed sights it really shoots low. I know lighter bullets shoot lower, and this is a semi-common prob with this gun.

I just really need some info on results with this sight set if anyone can help.

Will
'69-'70

roylt

Hunter
I have seen some setup for comp shooting that had them. I have a set sitting in a box waiting for install but have not done it before. I doubt you will find them anywhere as the 85 is super old at this point. You could file the front sight down a little and see what happens.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I installed those sights on a P-89 a few years ago and they work very well. The installation is quite straightforward if you have ever changed sights on any Ruger or other semi-auto in the past.

Basically you need a padded bench vise to hold the slide, a hammer and brass punch to drive out the rear sight and drive in the new one, a 1/16" punch to drive out the front sight blades retaining pins and a 1/16" drill bit for drilling the new front sight blade using the slide as a guide. A drill press makes drilling the front sight blade holes easier.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
roylt said:
Drill the front sight from both sides not all the way thru.
+1 Absolutely, and finish drill one pin hole and install the pin before you drill the second one. Also be sure the new blade is fully seated in the slot before drilling either hole.