Removal of sites on an LC9S

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpalmer2

Bearcat
I have a question for those in the know. I have an LC9S that I would like to change the sites on. I have tried, unsuccessfully I might add, to push out the old sites. I purchased a pusher to remove the existing sites without damaging the firearm. Did Ruger glue the old ones in with some compound? The set screw does have thread locker on it, but not excess and came out easily. Will the rail need to be heated and to what temperature if so?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Many of Ruger's sights are in very tight and removing the set screw is not enough to loosen them. You will have to drive them out with a punch and hammer or a sight pusher.

BTW, not to be too pedantic but the things you aim a firearm with are "sights". A "site" is a place or location like a home site or web site.

s4s4u

Hunter
If there was thread locker on the set screw it might be possible that some may have gotten into the channel and is bonding the sight. If so, 30 minutes in a 300 degree oven may soften it up a bit.

jpalmer2

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
Many of Ruger's sights are in very tight and removing the set screw is not enough to loosen them. You will have to drive them out with a punch and hammer or a sight pusher.

BTW, not to be too pedantic but the things you aim a firearm with are "sights". A "site" is a place or location like a home site or web site.

Yes i know. Need to watch Auto Correct. gets me in trouble a lot!

Church Key

Bearcat
I shot mine today and decided to move the rear sight a bit to the right as my trigger manipulations were causing shots to go a bit left. The slide ended up in a vice padded with duct tape while I pounded away with a brass punch with a fairly hefty hammer. Got it where I wanted, but it took a fair amount of whacking. They are in there tightly, a standard Ruger design.

jpalmer2

Bearcat
Well I got the old sights out with the help of some heat and a brass punch. Got it moving and finished with the sight pusher. I used a hot air gun to heat up the area around the sights on the slide. I used an infrared surface temperature gauge to monitor the temperature. I didn't want it to exceed 250 to 300 deg. The new rear sight went in with a little coaxing from the sight tool but the front sight fell in. I contacted the manufacturer and asked if thread locker would be sufficient to hold the sight in. The Truglow phone rep said it would not and to send it to them and they would fit a different front sight on the rail and return it to me at no charge. The LC9S has a roll pin through the sight and the slide to hold it in but the aftermarket sight dose not. It needs to be friction fit. I will update when I receive it back from Truglow.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
jpalmer2 said:
Well I got the old sights out with the help of some heat and a brass punch. Got it moving and finished with the sight pusher. I used a hot air gun to heat up the area around the sights on the slide. I used an infrared surface temperature gauge to monitor the temperature. I didn't want it to exceed 250 to 300 deg. The new rear sight went in with a little coaxing from the sight tool but the front sight fell in. I contacted the manufacturer and asked if thread locker would be sufficient to hold the sight in. The Truglow phone rep said it would not and to send it to them and they would fit a different front sight on the rail and return it to me at no charge. The LC9S has a roll pin through the sight and the slide to hold it in but the aftermarket sight dose not. It needs to be friction fit. I will update when I receive it back from Truglow.

Could you tell me what sight pusher you have and how you like it? After using a brass punch and heat I couldn't move my LC9s rear sight even a fraction. I'm thinking maybe I need a pusher as I'd also like to slightly drift a rear sight on a H&K that has night sights --- afraid to use a punch on it.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
jpalmer2 said:
The LC9S has a roll pin through the sight and the slide to hold it in but the aftermarket sight dose not. It needs to be friction fit. I will update when I receive it back from Truglow.
If it's like numerous other Ruger guns (the entire P-series and fixed sight SP-101s for example) you are expected to drill a matching hole in the replacement front sight blade yourself. All of the other Rugers I've changed front sights on used a 1/16" roll pin so you probably will use a 1/16" drill bit and punch.

1. Remove the original roll pin with the punch and pull out the factory sight blade.
2. Insert the new blade and be sure it is seated firmly in the slot.
3. Drill the blade using the holes in the slide's ramp as a guide. Drill about half way through from ones side and then turn the slide over and complete the drilling from the other side to assure alignment.
4. Reinsert the roll pin and drive it in flush.

Larry from Bend said:
jpalmer2 said:

Could you tell me what sight pusher you have and how you like it? After using a brass punch and heat I couldn't move my LC9s rear sight even a fraction. I'm thinking maybe I need a pusher as I'd also like to slightly drift a rear sight on a H&K that has night sights --- afraid to use a punch on it.

If you do a lot of sight work go with the MGW and get the different shoes that are needed for the different guns. I say that because it is not inexpensive. It is very well made and if taken care of will last several persons lifetimes. I run a gun repair business so I do a lot of sight changes for people so it was well worth it to spend the money. The MGW makes replacing even the most tight sights easy and it takes all the worry out of doing tritium and other night sights.