LC9s Polishing Internals

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
Were it me, I'd quit beating my head against the wall and switch to a JHP which mimics the shape of a FMJ.
Remington's L9MM1B and Federal's 9BP come to mind here. They've been making 'em for years, and neither has ever given me a single feeding problem in any of the guns I've ever used them in.
No, they don't look fancy like the boutique-stuff does...but hey, they do what they're supposed to do, they do it time after time, and they do it for about half the price.

DGW

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
Mike J said:
Sorry CoyoteHunter I thought it was just jamming when you chambered a round by racking the slide.

I agree with Cheese it might just be best to try a different defensive round.

Well it did it when I was locking the slide back and then inserting a full mag and then release the slide. AND it did it at the rifle range when I had a round chambered and a full 7 rounds in both the different types of Ruger 7 round mags.

I'm convinced that it's the ammo. So yes I'm going to find some other ammo that works better with this little gun. This guy shoots really nice and I love the trigger and the small size.

My only complain about this gun is that it's hard to get the mag to fall out as my hand is on the mag when I release the mag release button and the mag won't fall out unless I figure out a way of holding the gun without my hand touching the magazine. I'm not quite ready to shoot more than one magazine yet so it's not a big deal now. If I were younger and in a competition and had to eject the empty magazine quickly and load another mag in really fast I would be out of luck. But I'm 65 years old and not going to be going into any completions. I just shoot this gun for fun mostly at the range. And it's my personal protection gun at times.

I noticed that the bottom of the feed ramp is pretty thick on the LC9S Pro. I'm not sure but it looks a lot thicker metal at the very bottom of the feed ramp. So maybe that it why the head of the Hornady Critical Duty Ammo is jamming there.

I looked at the same area on my PPQ an the thickness of the metal at the bottom if it's feed ramp is about half as thick.

I'll just use the Critical Duty in my PPQ and then the Blazer Brass in my LC9S Pro until I can find some other defensive ammo.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

5of7

Hunter
Coyotehunter..if the round is nose diving, it is likely that there is too much friction between the cartridge cases and/or even the feed lips of the magazine.

If it were me, I would use the dermal that you are using and polish the sharp edge of the feed lips of the magazine and if that doesn't do it, perhaps the magazine spring is too strong, or not strong enough to allow for a free and easy exit from magazine to chamber.

Just a thought, whaddya got to lose? 8)

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
I'll try to check that out. I did noticed that often the second round from the top was being pushed forward a 1/4 to 1/2" at times. The top round would chamber after I fired a round in the chamber and then if I pulled the Mag out the round left at the top of the magazine was not seated back properly like it was when I loaded the magazine. The top round was moved forward in the magazine. And this caused the bullets to not feed at times.

Now the round FMJ Blazer Brass 9 mm bullets don't nose down and FTF. They feed properly about 100 % of the time.

It was only the Hornady FlexLock type bullets who's heads are skinner than other bullets. This allows the 7 bullets in the magazine to be pushed downward if you put your finger on the head of the top bullet in the magazine. It think it's the design of the FlexLock Bullets heads. They are skinnier than the Rounder FMJ Blazer Brass Bullets.

The springs are OK. I've seem some of the plastic followers in my AR15 Magpul magaines that have longer plastic legs on the bottom side of the plastic follower (The part that side on top of the spring inside the magazine and which the bottom bullet in the magazine rest on. This extended legs help them stay straight up and down inside the Magazine and not tilt down at the front of the plasic follower or back ward at the rear of the plastic follower. These plastic legs on the bottom on the plastic follower help keep it stabilized better in the 223 Magpul 30 round magazine. So the .223 round feed better into the chamber of my AR15. These are longer bullet heads than the 9 mm bullets.

I'll go to the gun store and buy some other type of 9 mm ammo and test them out in my LC9S Pro pistol and see how the feed or not.

How can I tell if there is too much friction? I thinking that may not be the case as if there was too much friction the rounds would not slide forward so easily in the magazine. But maybe I'm not seeing what you are saying. Feed Lips of the Magazine? I think I know what you are talking about when you said Feed Lips. Those are at the very top side of the magazine that holds the bullets in place so they don't fly up and out of the magazine due to the spring pressure. I'm not sure if the springs are too tight or too lose. Not sure how I would tell or accurately measure the spring pressure. I do know that I have had a tendency to keep the spare magazines full of bullets all the time. Maybe having them loaded all the time when they are not being used has weaked the spring inside the magazines? I hope that's not the case as I'd hate to have to keep the spare mags empty all the time and load them up before using them each time. I carry a spare mag on my belt all the time and it's got all 7 bullets of the 9 mm rounds in it all the time.

I got some plastic mag holders that clip on my leather belt but the PPQ mags keep falling out. The PPQ 9 mm magazines hold 15 to 17 round in a double stack design and are longer than the plastic magazine holder. The want to fall out of the mag holder when I sit down and get up again. I noticed when I got into my truck I'd hear something heavy hitting the ground next to the drivers side door. I'd look down on the concrete of my driveway and see my PPQ spare magazine lying on the concrete just outside the drive's side door. I was thinking that I could increase the tension on the magazine holder but that's not possible from what I could see with this particular brand of magazine holder. These are the Blackhawk Double Stack Magcase Coyote Tan Colored ones. I have the same company's mag holder for my Ruger mags but they are single stack type and the Ruger 7 round mags stay in their Black Hawk Mag Cases better. Maybe the extra weight of the bullets cause the PPQ Mag to fall out more often. They are much heavier with 17 bullets vs 9 bullets for the Ruger Mags. All are 9 mm rounds. I got the mag holders for both guns at various gun shops in my area. Gander Mountain, Buck and Jakes and Academy Sporting Goods store. I got them at different times too. But the ones for my PPQ (last two mag holders) I ordered online as the local stores didn't have the one's I wanted in stock. I think I got those from Midway somewhere.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Single+Stack+Magazine+Holder&view=detailv2&&id=5CAB496FEA0A2EDBA750BB17C7FE353CECCDE292&selectedIndex=4&ccid=Yp7XhK%2b8&simid=608047046780258395&thid=OIP.M629ed784afbcceb808c9945ffd2de047o0&ajaxhist=0

5of7 said:
Coyotehunter..if the round is nose diving, it is likely that there is too much friction between the cartridge cases and/or even the feed lips of the magazine.

If it were me, I would use the dermal that you are using and polish the sharp edge of the feed lips of the magazine and if that doesn't do it, perhaps the magazine spring is too strong, or not strong enough to allow for a free and easy exit from magazine to chamber.

Just a thought, whaddya got to lose? 8)

Latest posts