LC9s Pro mag insertion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

joe44va

Bearcat
My mags hang up a bit more than half way in. I have to bang them a couple of times to get them to go all the way in. I have one US and one Italian. They both do it about 25% of the time. I'd carry this otherwise.
Any suggestions for a fix?
Joe

kwh

Bearcat
Field strip pistol. Insert empty mag and feel to determine if it drags on the magazine release during insertion. Repeat several times.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
If they only do that 25% of the time, it's probably not the magazine. Are you sure you are seating the cartridges, particularly the top one, fully in the mag? If it not all the way back it could drag on the mag well when you insert it.

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
If they only do that 25% of the time, it's probably not the magazine. Are you sure you are seating the cartridges, particularly the top one, fully in the mag? If it not all the way back it could drag on the mag well when you insert it.

I agree with this.
I have experienced the magazine hangup with my LC9s pro, and it was the top cartridge not being fully inserted that was causing it.

jammer

Single-Sixer
Joe, I just bought one and took it to the range yesterday. Very accurate and reliable but it has the same issue as you. The problem is that it hits the mag release on the way in. If you push on the mag release button as you insert the magazine I think you'll see. It's irritation but I'm wondering if anyone has a fix for this? Maybe a bit of Dremel work on the magazine or mag release?

jammer

Single-Sixer
Thought I'd post back. I have an Italian made magazine. I took the mag catch release out and took a file to it. No more issues. This is a good little pistol can't believe I overlooked it for so long. :)

Sad. Why should where the mag is manufactured make a difference? any "in spec." magazines should work. Any magazine that far out of spec is a joke. Or maybe the tolerances for the gun just suck! What a joke!

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
I have a extra 9 round Pro Mag 9 mm single stack magazine that holds more shells and I had a hard time getting it into the pistol one time. I checked the top round and it was not inserted into the Magazine all the way. Once I inserted it all the way back into the magazine the problem went away and the magazine slipped into the pistol fine. The spring on this new Magazine is tight and it's hard to get the last shell into the Magazine right now. I don't use this magazine as the magazine is too long and it make the gun print too much when it's inserted into the pistol. I have three other Ruger 7 round magazines for the LC9S Pro Pistol that I use first before I would use the extended 9 round Pro Mag magazine. Note: two of my 7 round Ruger mags are made it Italy and one was made in the USA. The 9 round extended mag was made in the USA.

I got the Ruger LC9S Pro as it was smaller and more comfortable to carry. I don't really shoot it much as I shoot a larger pistol most of the time at the range. I'd carry the larger one if it were not so heavy and large. The larger pistol is the Walther's PPQ M2 9 mm. It's my home defense gun and my go to pistol at the practice range.

Now I do shoot the Ruger once in a while at the indoor range where the distance to the target is much shorter. But my normal practice range is outside and it's a 25 yard range so the little short barrel on the Ruger makes it less accrate at that range than the PPQ which has a 4" long barrel and shoots much better than the little ruger.

Update on Sept 23, 2016. I took the Ruger to the 25 yard outdoor range a week or two ago and it shot fine with Blazer Brass 9 mm FMJ type ammo. It feed fine and shot accurately. I shoot at 17.25" diameter Shoot NC Bulls Eye type stick on targets at the outdoor 25 yard range. I hit the target most all the time and get a few in the bulls eye from time to time. So the pistol can shoot pretty good.

Now today I did some testing. I loaded all four of my magazines with Hornady 9 mm 135 gr Luger +P FlexLock Ammo and worked the slide after inserting each mag into the Ruger LC9S Pro pistol. The bullets front end did a nose dive and got stuck in the feed ramp more than a few times. It did this more when the magazine were full with a full 7 rounds in the mag.

Here is a test that you can do with this ammo and your Ruger Lc9S Pro Magazines. With the mag fully loaded press down on the nose of the top bullet and see how much it moves downward. Mine moves a lot. This nose dive can cause Failure to Feed and can be a bad thing if you need to use your gun for self defense.

Now all my failure to feed were cause by hand racking the slide. I saw another thread in this forum where someone asked if the slide on the Lc9S Pro was hard to rack by hand. It is if you do it a lot. It tears up my fingers after a while. I did a lot of testing today and had to rack the mag empty about 10 times and my fingers are sore now. But I have a rash on my fingers from working with PCB oil years ago so they are more tender at times if the rash gets inflamed. I have tiny red spots under my skin which was happened only after I got the PCB contaminated oil on my fingers. I'm guessing the PCB did the damage and it's not gone away. My dermatologist told me to use Eucerine Cream on my fingers/hand for the rest of my life and wear white cotton gloves all the time after applying the Eucerine Cream. I guess he was saying that you have to live with this problem for the rest of your life. This was way back in 1988/89/90 are so.

The slide on the Ruger LC9S Pro is pretty strong. And the slide unlock level is small and hard to work for me. My PPQ M2 Walther's 9 mm 4" long barreled Pistol has a two inch long slide release that's much easier to work.

BigWhup

Bearcat
Just took my brand new LC9s Pro to the range this morning, and had this same issue. Took a couple rounds out and it went in just fine, so I too believe the first round was not seated properly.

It didn't seem to like Gold Dots, as I had a couple failure to feed. Winchester and Federal HP worked well as did all varieties of ball ammo I tried. No issues with the extended mags either! Yay!

On my last shot the slide didn't lock back and I got a "click". Decided that was enough (200 rounds or so) before the second cleaning and another round at the range.

Did get a tiny blood blister from that trigger, though.

Love it anyway!

Day 2 at the Range. I fired off another 200 rounds today, with only two failure to feed and that was using Winchester Ranger HP ammo. It seems that two of my mags might be suspect, both stamped USA and one is the standard round capacity and the other is the extended capacity. A little irritated about that plus had a couple of non-slide locks.

I plan to call Ruger to see if there is anything going on in regard to a fix.

Got that stinking blister on the trigger finger again too!