When do you really *need* snap-caps?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I'm asking this question 'straight-up' and with complete honesty because I've never seen a really good discussion of it.

When you're dry-firing or practicing with a pistol, rifle OR a shotgun, when do you NEED snap caps and when are they optional?

For example I know that dry-firing anything rimfire without a snap cap is an invitation to damage the firing mechanism - at least on most guns. However on an LC9s the manual doesn't discourage anyone from dry-firing the gun with the "New Jersey" magazine in it - in fact you have to do so in order to field strip the gun. It seems the same thing is true with a lot of modern striker fired centerfire pistols: It's OK to dry fire them without a snap cap.

What about shotguns and rifles? I know there probably aren't many generalities here, so it would be nice to hear from people who have some experience.

Do most manufacturers' give you good advice? Should you always use a snap cap when dry firing?

I'd like to see this be a civil thread, please, because my question is honest and it could help people out and prevent them from damaging their firearms.

CCW

Bearcat
As a general rule, I try not to "dry fire" any of my firearms. I was considering the purchase of a .357 revolver in a local gun store and as the clerk removed the gun from the case he pulled the trigger 5-6 times real fast and commented on the trigger pull. I don't know if he realized it or not but that prevented me from buying the gun.

Snake45

Hawkeye
You only need snap caps if you don't care about breaking your firing pin.

I had to break FOUR firing pins (One Colt, one S&W, two Walthers) to learn this lesson.

But you might be smarter than me. :wink:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Snake45 said:
But you might be smarter than me. :wink:

I'm not, and I've owned a lot fewer guns that you, I'm sure. That's really why I'm asking.

So far I haven't seen any damage to my LC9s or SR9 through dry-firing, but I am concerned about it and I don't have enough experience to know whether they're just "feel good" accessories or something I should buy a few of for all my pistols/rifles/shotguns.

I know I'd never dry-fire a rimfire anything without a snap cap in it, but some of the centerfire guns don't warn you off about it.

I tend to think people should use them just to avoid the possibility of damage and also because you know what you've got in the chamber when practicing.

CCW

Bearcat
I could be mistaken but I don't think dry firing hurts anything if there is a transfer bar between the hammer and the firing pin. I know that the older guns, especially those with the firing pin attached to the hammer were not supposed to be dry fired.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I use them frequently. Even in my Glock 26 despite being told it's not needed. Well, I'm sure they are right but it just makes me feel better so I do that. Not each time but most. Unless I'm in some kind of hurry I see no reason not to take the extra 30 seconds to chamber one.

I use them also to check function (Mainly the extractor) after reassembly of a firearm after cleaning. This way I don't beat up my carry ammo, or even range ammo and the risk of bullet setback is greatly reduced since I don't need to chamber and eject several rounds of live ammo to test function.

I'm a fan of snap caps.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
demented said:
I've seen the breech face deformed at the firing pin hole from dry firing on several pistols listed as being ok to dry fire. So, yes I use snap caps.

One case I can think of they'd be good to have is when people suggest dry firing a new pistol up to one or two hundred times to assist in break in. I don't do this but I know some do. In that case I'd definitely want a snap cap in the chamber regardless of the pistols make or model.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Thanks everyone. I've always had my doubts about the wisdom of releasing the firing mechanism on any gun without what it was designed to strike being there. Once or twice, OK. Maybe even 10 or 20, but I think erring on the side of caution and buying some snap caps is a good idea. I'm going to buy some.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
It's weapon design dependent. There's several whole lots of M16s and M1911 that have been dryfired bazillions of times over decades. No snap caps used.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
If I'm just dry firing to check the action or field strip, no. If planning to dry fire extensively to break it in or become accustomed to the gun, yes. Most of the time I just use fired shells as snap caps because I'm cheap. :oops:

Rei40c

Blackhawk
FergusonTO35 said:
If I'm just dry firing to check the action or field strip, no. If planning to dry fire extensively to break it in or become accustomed to the gun, yes. Most of the time I just use fired shells as snap caps because I'm cheap. :oops:

That's not a bad idea and it got me to thinkin, so I went to youtube and found many how to video's on how to make your own. Various methods from very simple to a little time consuming. One in which all you need is a glue gun and a spent casing. If anyone is curious just Youtube search "home made snap caps"

Snake45

Hawkeye
Rei40c said:
FergusonTO35 said:

That's not a bad idea and it got me to thinkin, so I went to youtube and found many how to video's on how to make your own. Various methods from very simple to a little time consuming. One in which all you need is a glue gun and a spent casing. If anyone is curious just Youtube search "home made snap caps"
You don't even need a glue gun. I've made many with common household silicone. They work GREAT.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I went to one of my local gun/sport shops yesterday and bought some for my 9mm pistols. They work as expected and I'm glad to have the peace of mind for relatively few dollars. Particularly where I live it's important to support local retailers.

So thanks again, everyone. I bought a package of A-Zooms made by Pachmayr. The size and chambering using both my LC9s and SR9 are perfect. They feed perfectly from the magazine and there is an audible difference because the striker is hitting something it was designed to strike.

demented

Single-Sixer
What I hate seeing nore than dry firing is someone releasing a slide from locked with no ammo being fed to slow the velocity, this HAS to be rough on a pistol!

cyborgt800

Single-Sixer
It might seem that way but then it seems impossible that the valves in the head of an engine slam closed thousands of times a minute under extreme heating and cooling conditions yet last for many years.

Latest posts