LC40

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tremors

Bearcat
How many think Ruger should make a LC40? I think it would be great to have a compact .40 it's only about 1mm longer and wider. It seems everyone already complains about the kick so why not go a little bigger caliber.

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
............................cause you would have to wear shooting gloves everywhere you carried it!
seriously, 40 has sharp punishing recoil.......I stick to full size pistols when I shoot 40(Sig P229/ruger P944).
don't think it would be that popular?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Sorry, but I have to say absolutely not. At 17 ounces the guns far too light for a .40

Truth be told many of the existing .40's are to light for .40's. Like the .357/ .357Sig, 10mm ect these guns need some mass to contain the recoil. In the case of the .40 if I had to put a minimum number on it in terms of weight you'd want I'd say around ~24 ounces before considering it realistic. Granted bore axis and many other factors come into play but that should give someone a general idea. 27-30 ounces would be even better. But then you have what some would term a "heavy" gun. Yep and you'd want it to be.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
cyborgt800 said:
Being primarily a .45 guy, I was surprised at the kick of a .40. I wouldn't want it as a compact.

Agreed, I've always found the .45 acp more pleasant to shoot as opposed to the .40. Using the M&P Shield as an example, if you follow the forums you always hear great things about the 9mm but rarely people talking or raving about how well the .40 caliber version shoots. It's just one of many examples of pistols that have shown up in the last five years or so that are too small/light for caliber.

Al James

Hunter
It would make a slick carry gun but I would worry about it holding together AND the shoot-ability of such a beast. I have had a few KT P11's through the years. The 9mm versions shot well and stayed together for the most part. The 40 cal versions did not fare quite as well with use. And after all the Ruger LC's are not to far from the KT designs.

This also reminds me of back when S&W was making all the lightweight scandium revolvers. I have seen more than one 11oz 357 mag completely locked up from the revolver acting as a kinetic bullet puller during recoil. Unintended consequences of ultra light weight AND powerful handguns. I prefer something from the middle ground.....a light to medium weight gun chambered in a moderately powered caliber. The LC9 is already right at the edge of that equation IMO. YMMV.