Is this normal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RackYerSlide

Bearcat
Hi all! New to the forum and have a question. I have a P94, with the safety/decocker (Not a "DC" model like my last one). Anyway, here's what is going on...
When I have the safety "on" (white dot showing) and no mag in (so as not to activate the slide stop) if I rack the slide here's what happens...
On the rearward travel, the hammer goes back (of course), then when I return the slide, in about a nano second the hammer drops! I have not loaded or shot it yet. My concern is if I have it loaded, and rack the slide, will the hammer still drop? If so, is it only dropping into a decocked mode, or am I going to set off a round? None of my other pistols do this and it's alarming. I'm not afraid of the hammer dropping when going from fire to safe/decocked as I know that it is engineered to do so, but again I've no other guns where the hammer drops on it's own after racking the slide, whether the safety is on or off. I will not attempt to load it or choot it until I know that whats happening is kosher or not. Thanks in advance for any help you may give!!!

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
If the safety is on , when the gun is loaded and the slide racked , the hammer will drop but the gun will not fire.
If the safety is off , the hammer will stay in the cocked position.

RackYerSlide

Bearcat
Busterswoodshop said:
If the safety is on , when the gun is loaded and the slide racked , the hammer will drop but the gun will not fire.
If the safety is off , the hammer will stay in the cocked position.
Well I'm about to go test it then in my back yard. I will post the result after. If you do not see a reply in the next few minutes, it's because I can't type with bloody stubs! :lol:

RackYerSlide

Bearcat
Ok. I'm back. Thank you as you were correct sir! I loaded one round into the mag, and with the safety on I racked it. Same as mentioned before, on return to battery the hammer did drop, but no "boom". Guess I'm goot! Thanks again!!!!!!!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Ruger "safeties" on the P-series were also decockers so if you applied the safety with the hammer cocked, the hammer will fall but safely. You cannot carry a P-series gun "cocked and locked".

louchia

Single-Sixer
groberts said:
My Bersa Thunder does the same thing. I would assume that any gun with the safety as a decocker would do that.

I would have to safely try it myself and never assume. That's just me.