Is your LCP Chambered?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FlipsRuger

Bearcat
Do you carry your LCP chambered are not chambered?

I was just wondering how most people carry the little LCP as the book say's not to carry a round in the chamber? I take that as a CYA statement by Ruger and I guess in these times I understand where they are coming from on that.

I have friends that carry both ways, some just like the fact that they have a gun on them even if it's not chambered. I guess better with you than at home?

The way I carried my 9 was chambered but it had a manual safety and that made me feel a little better but the LCP has no safety.

I picked up a kydex holster that covers the trigger well completely and that make me feel a little better about carrying chambered.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Of course its chambered. My LCP has been chambered and ready to go for 7 years and only gets unloaded for special circumstances like like cleaning.

Those not willing to chamber a round are probably not ready to carry a gun.

SamV

Buckeye
I always have a round chambered.
This is a constant recurring debate on most gun forums.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I think it's normal to have people to have reservations about carrying on a loaded chamber at first. Even for those who may have carried revolvers for 20 years. It goes away with practice and familiarity, a little education, and good safety practices. It's perfectly safe, they are designed with the idea that they will be carried chambered.

As for my opinion (which isn't worth much granted) it's absolutely essential to carry with a loaded chamber. There's enough evidence out there now to strongly indicate in most situations you simply won't have time. I'm not comparing law enforcement to a permit holder AT ALL, however watch some dashcam footage (that's everywhere on youtube now) of how fast things happen when officers where required to pull and fire. I don't think things would move much slower for a law abiding citizen. Just my opinion, don't worry Flips, and be safe.

s4s4u

Hunter
It can be a bit difficult to rack the slide on your pistol while your off hand is busy fending off an attacker. I don't understand folks who say they only chamber a round when the occasion demands it because you never really know when the S will HTF

I usually carry a revolver with 5 in the "chamber"

FlipsRuger

Bearcat
Well for now I'm still carrying my 9 that has a manual safety, chambered as usual The little LCP and I get to know one another a little better. I will need a few more trips to the range and a few trips out to our deer lease for a little more informal practice. My carry method is also changing so that's going to need a little work as well.

As I have been using a handgun of some type for about 50 years I have every confidence in my ability to carry the LCP chambered just as I do one of my 9's, when the two of us get to know one another a little better. I have carried 38's & 357's with a full house a lot so I guess the LCP is that much different.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
WELL, I just ran and checked mine and it damn well is chambered...one chamber is right at the back end of the barrel...does this mean it is always chambered... ?
And so it goes...

louchia

Single-Sixer
Always chambered. A properly made holster and the 7-9lb trigger and long trigger pull make it very safe with very little chance of AD.

Tremors

Bearcat
I carry one in the chamber at all times. Any weapon I carry will ready at all times because I am not going to tell the threat to wait until I rack my slide. I also use a wallet holster. This type of holster would make it very difficult to put a round in the chamber during a conflict.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
They are double action only and keeping a round in the chamber is not an issue. I personally avoid pistols that do not have safeties unless they are double action only.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Round in the chamber and brains in your head, or just stay at home and go back to bed ;). This means yes. I carry my pistols with a round in the chamber at all times, safety on with both of my Rugers and my S&W. I wouldn't think of trying to outpace someone in a real emergency situation by essentially asking them: "Hey, can you hang on a few more seconds while I chamber a round and then get ready to shoot back? Thanks, Mr. Bad Guy. You're a peach, bro. Here goes, I'm going to make some noise and maybe I'm so scared I'll screw up and the round won't chamber."

And if you follow the Rules, you'll be perfectly fine, even without the manual safety. The guns are inherently safe unless you are not paying attention to your job as the owner.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
By the way: If you have any doubts about your ability to carry a pistol with a chambered round that has no external safety here's what you should do:

SELL THE GUN and buy one with an external safety. The LCP is just a little smaller than the LC9s and you could just trade it in and get a manual-safety firearm that you'll feel more comfortable carrying with. Plus you will gain some ballistic performance. If you have any doubts whatsoever, sell your LCP and buy something different.