Is your LCP Chambered?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
My experience is that a perp will approach suddenly to catch you off guard. Not only is there not enough time for fumbling around to chamber the gun, you can't really pull your gun in advance without justification. Brandishing carries stiff penalties, including mandatory jail time. If you are nervous about carrying the LCP in chambered condition, then consider a S&W 642, which has nice long trigger pull and weighs only a few ounces more than the LCP. Ruger has a similar recover.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
In a worst case scenario you may only have the use of one arm. Your pistol better have a round chambered in that eventuality.

Best Regards,
ADP3

thrasher1472

Bearcat
Hello all, I am new here and new to carrying as well. As I wait for my CCW permit to get here I have only been carrying around my house mainly to get used to it. I purchased the LC9s for my soon to be EDC and have worked up to one in the chamber with safety on. It was a little daunting at first but actually forget about it now and am actually starting feel that the safety may even be unnecessary, well for me atleast.

I decided on chambered because of the talk of what do you do if you only have one arm free. However I have started thinking what do you if that free arm is not your firing arm? Can most people even access their weapon with their weak arm and more importantly fire effectively with just weak arm? For me I have realized I have to answer no.

What got me thinking of strong arm weak arm was an incident that happened years ago. I was in the back of my warehouse when a rather intimidating gentleman walked in on me. If he wasn't fresh out of prison he was definitely street proven! He walked to me and extended his left hand and I didn't want to be rude so I shook with my strong arm. The moment we locked I realized I had made a mistake, he just took away my only means of defense but he was ready to go. I wasn't carrying then but if I was it would have been useless at that point. My buddy walked over luckily and he decided to move on. I will never shake a stranger's hand again if I feel threatened in the least bit, fist bumps only.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Thrasher, good comment on the fist bumps only!

The likelihood of ever needing a gun is pretty remote. Real danger comes from daily handling of a firearm. For that reason, I use the thumb safety on my LC9s 100%, just like a 1911. I received some real good training on 1911 during a week long class at Gunsite: https://www.gunsite.com . The pistol draw was taught and performed very slowly to start and in a few days it became automatic. The thumb safety is flicked off toward the end on the draw stroke, just before the sights are come on target. The LC9s can be managed like the 1911 and provide an extra measure of safety during handling. Nothing is lost in handling speed.