Early SN P89 Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tip

Single-Sixer
Hey, Ruger fans...
I seem to recall reading in one of the posts here that early P89s may have issues with later magazines.
Can anyone elaborate, please?

It may be a moot point if the seller doesn't come down from their price, though.
SN 305-007×× w/one 13 round mag for almost 4 bills. :(

Al James

Hunter
The gun that you are looking at takes the newer style P18 style magazine. Which is a plus IMO. SN# 304-70000 and below is the cutoff. Good luck working a deal with him! Let us know if you get it. :wink:

Tip

Single-Sixer
Al James said:
The gun that you are looking at takes the newer style P18 style magazine. Which is a plus IMO. SN# 304-70000 and below is the cutoff. Good luck working a deal with him! Let us know if you get it. :wink:

Thanks, Al!
Yes. I misspoke... it's the 15 round mag. Now, I wish I had taken pictures. 'Not sure if it had a steel floorplate, witness holes, etc.
If it's still there in a week, I may just buy it -if they'll bring the price down to the mid 3s, or less. :?

-Oh, I almost forgot... it's the decocker/manual safety configuration.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Unless that is a particularly rare or historic P-89, that's a far higher than normal price. I normally see them in the upper $200 to low $300 range and that's with at least two magazines.

I'd buy a decock only in stainless for that but not a safety model or blue one, just me.

as a side note for the original question.... the 'problem' with the first run of P89s and older magazines is easily fixed.... the small metal part that holds the magazine in just needs to be filed down (on top) about 2mms.

Tip

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
Unless that is a particularly rare or historic P-89, that's a far higher than normal price. I normally see them in the upper $200 to low $300 range and that's with at least two magazines.

I don't "normally" see them; maybe, I should fish in other ponds. While not rare, these old Rugers are by no means as ubiquitous as Glocks.
But, I agree... the price is too high. Part of the fun of buying such a dated design, (yes, they're dated) is scoring one at a low price. My dad has a stainless one (P89) that'll be mine one day, but I'm always on the hunt for a "find." :D

Dad's P89
2j5chno.jpg