SR22 3.5" Threaded vs. Non-Threaded barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nabby

Bearcat
I've got a quick question on the barrel of the SR22. I'm thinking of getting one and someone said the threaded barrel is made to a higher quality compared to the non-threaded barrel. I'm curious to know if that is an accurate statement? Essentially, they indicated that the threaded barrel is better, but not just because of the threads.

Any feedback?

Thanks!

Nabby

welder

Buckeye
Welcome Nabby. I had a threaded barrel model SR22 but traded it for an M&P threaded. Not sure why there would be any difference in the quality but couldn't say for sure. The SR22 design keeps the threaded part enclosed under the hood so I'd get that one again if I wanted a Ruger if for no other reason than the use of a suppressor someday. Nice little guns and a lot of fun.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I'd also go with the threaded barrel, but I don't know if it's an inherently better barrel compared to the standard. We are living in the golden age of suppressor popularity. I think I heard the paperwork for the suppressors has increased at least three fold in recent months. Not only that, more suppressors are coming online and more manufacturers are now offering threaded barrels. For that reason alone it would be nice to have the option.

I can tell you since having gone through it recently myself, that adding a suppressor or other barrel accessories after the fact will be rather expensive. Not only do you need to buy the new threaded barrel many times a new recoil spring is required to reliably function lighter loads. You are then looking at a minimum of I'd guess $200 to put it together, and honestly more like $275 all said and done if you go with reputable quality manufacturers. And that's not even counting the cost of the suppressor which is considerable.

The only downside to the threaded barrel? It looks kinda funny. . . How important is that to you?