SR9E reliability

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
For anyone questioning SR9E reliability, today for the second time, I've fired off 3 full mags of cheap Blazer 115grn fmj as fast as I can pull the trigger. That's 51 rounds in less than 60 seconds. Barrel gets hot, but not a single hiccup. All from about 5yds, and all in an acceptable center mass group. :mrgreen:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I just cleaned my 9E last night after 900 trouble free rounds. Now my round count on the pistol is 1700 to 1900 flawless rounds downrange. I'll have to check my round count tally I have written down at home but the number above is in the right ballpark.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The SR series has evolved into a pretty dependable, cost effective line of pistols. I hope Ruger keeps them around, they actually sell better than the American series here.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
My Sr40c is still my every day carry. While some may doubt it, the fact is I've had 9000 trouble free rounds out of it with my particular pistol since 2012. I can't say the same for other well known brands of pistols I own.

But I've taken care of it, I've meticulously cleaned it after each firing including the striker channel which I believe is a key factor in increasing reliability in this particular pistol. It's not needed every time you fire it. But every 2000 rounds or so it should be wiped clean as well as the striker channel. Spent powder does accumulate there over time. You want the striker and chamber clean and DRY, no oil. As the old saying goes if you take care of it, it will take care of you. The SR series is a good example of that. Every 5000 rounds or so I'd estimate the extractor should be removed, cleaned, and replaced dry or with a very light coating of oil. This is on top of the ordinary field strip and clean/oil areas. If you keep up with these aspects you will have very few problems if any.