Trigger job for Ruger American Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FloridaGator

Bearcat
Are any of the usual suspects for striker fired pistols working on trigger improvements for the RAP? Ghost, Galloway, etc?

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I really think you are the first person to bring this subject up. Most people think the trigger is pretty good.
I will be curious what everyone else say's on the trigger job.

FloridaGator

Bearcat
jstanfield103 said:
I really think you are the first person to bring this subject up. Most people think the trigger is pretty good.
I will be curious what everyone else say's on the trigger job.

The trigger is top notch for striker fired. I can pull the trigger without twitching the end of the barrel at all. Only single action triggers on metal guns usually do this. The PPQ is the only other striker fired trigger that I can do this with.

If it was possible to take a pound or two off the pull it would be epic for a striker pistol. With the stock trigger I was shooting a ragged hole the first time out at the range. I'm thinking that having a little bit lighter trigger would make it a nice USPSA production or IDPA ESP competition gun.

neilin

Bearcat
On both my Ruger American Pistols, 9mm and .45 Auto, the trigger pulls measure 6 pounds. Nice break(s). I have not had the pulls on my LC9s' measured, but they feel lighter.

Al James

Hunter
In the couple RAP pistols that I have fired it was the long reset that bothered me the most. The pull weight, let off and over travel actually felt pretty nice. I did end up short stroking the trigger a few times while trying to shoot fast double taps. I think I'm just used to my Glocks and SR series resets.

While I'm sure I could overcome the long reset I'm hoping Ruger will address the reset issue [if they decide it even is an issue] like they did with the SR trigger upgrades. We shall see. I'm looking forward to this gun in a compact or even sub-compact version. I like the G19 quite a bit and would welcome an American version of equal size. Ruger seems to have skipped that size with the SR line which bummed me out. The G19 has a cult like following so I'm surprised they didn't even try to compete. Pretty tough act to follow I guess. :shock:

revhigh

Hawkeye
The solution to an unacceptable trigger on any given striker fired plastic gun is to buy a gun with a better trigger. Not try to improve the unacceptable trigger with unproven aftermarket parts or kitchen table amateur gunsmithing.

No matter who is the manufacturer.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
The only problem with just measuring pull weight is that theres so many other factors involved. A 5.5 lb pull on a 1911 is barely acceptable ... 5.5 lbs consisting of half an inch of takeup, followed by creepy, gritty stacking, an unpredictable letoff, followed by 3/8 of an inch of overtravel required to reset is an entirely different (and unacceptable) animal.

So really .... Pull weight is almost a worthless parameter when it comes to striker fired autos. It's the OVERALL TRIGGER in its entirety that matters.

REV

Tsquare

Bearcat
I held one today, the pro series without the manual safety, and I really liked the trigger. I plan on buying it as soon as I can get the funds. I plan on doing to it what I do to EVERY new gun I buy. I will detail strip it, clean it, polish all trigger contact points, and lube it up and shoot. I've gotten so use to doing it that its second nature. This one should be fairly easy with the removable chassis and a pretty dern good trigger to begin with. I picked up an LCP Custom today, brought it home and did the norm polish and fluff and buff. I always order the Ghost Inc. Edge connector and reduced spring kit (except striker spring) for my glocks. With a little TLC you can turn almost any trigger into a very nice trigger without much expense. IF the gun takes off, I would expect to see some aftermarket springs. You will not see connectors from Ghost like the SR series has, because this is a different firing mechanism.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Tsquare said:
I held one today, the pro series without the manual safety, and I really liked the trigger. I plan on buying it as soon as I can get the funds. I plan on doing to it what I do to EVERY new gun I buy. I will detail strip it, clean it, polish all trigger contact points, and lube it up and shoot. I've gotten so use to doing it that its second nature.

Same, and if everyone did that I'm positive at least a quarter if not more of the posts you see online saying "I just bought my _____ pistol and I'm having _____ problem would disappear. It's unreal the amount of oil/metal shavings/general grime I've gotten out of new guns. Some are worse than others. None of them I've seen yet come out of the box in what I'd consider a well maintained condition.

VA6KM

Bearcat
Well I bought one just before christmas, since then I have put more than 1200 rounds through it.
The tigger for a polymer frame is good, not sa good as Walter PPQ or the new CZ P10C. It seems on the reset to have FAR TOO Much forward then reset travel after each shot to make it a IPSC Production competition gun.
It could also use a barrel bushing.y

Also Ruger we need more parts, the 10 rnd mags, get rid of the polymer bases and use metal, I have already broken 2 at the range when dropping mags.

tacticalreload

Bearcat
VA6KM said:
Well I bought one just before christmas, since then I have put more than 1200 rounds through it.
The tigger for a polymer frame is good, not sa good as Walter PPQ or the new CZ P10C. It seems on the reset to have FAR TOO Much forward then reset travel after each shot to make it a IPSC Production competition gun.
It could also use a barrel bushing.y

Also Ruger we need more parts, the 10 rnd mags, get rid of the polymer bases and use metal, I have already broken 2 at the range when dropping mags.

Have you actually tried a CZ P10c? I'm guessing no since they aren't available yet so you're probably going off youtube videos. And what is the reason for your desire to have a barrel bushing? There isn't any play at lockup and almost no modern pistol designs have had barrel bushings for decades.

Are your broken baseplates from dropping fully-loaded mags on cement?

Latest posts