Ruger KP89X .30 Guide rod/spring assembly

Help Support Ruger Forum:

journeyman

Bearcat
I have a Stainless Ruger P89 that came with a .30 barrel kit. Better known as the KP89X package. They made about 5,700 of these in 1994-1995 only. I need the Guide rod/recoil spring assembly for the .30 barrel. Any help out there?

journeyman

Bearcat
I had the correct one when I bought the pistol but misplaced it two weeks when cleaning the unit. I have a feeling this is going to be hard to find.
I will call Ruger Monday and if they do not have it, perhaps I can get the specs. to make a new unit.

roylt

Hunter
There a few guys on here that have this model, hopefully they will chime in but I think your best bet is to get the spring weight from Ruger.

Good luck and keep the P-guns alive!!

journeyman

Bearcat
I just got off the phone from Ruger and they do not have the part. They will not give me any specs on the .30 Luger guide rod or recoil spring. I could fab it if they would. Just hope someone may have one.
Thanks Much
Jack

journeyman

Bearcat
Thanks much but I need the spring and guide rod assembly for the .30 Luger barrel that was included with the kit. The spring assy I need is retained on both ends and has a straight pin with no taper. I have the single page Ruger detail insert with the .30 barrel and spring/guide rod info. but no specs. on dimensions, spring tensions ETC. I just hope someone out there has one.
Thanks Again
Jack

Al James

Hunter
Interesting that numrich has one listed for the p89x. I might try giving them a call, perhaps they use a stock photo. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. Fairly easy part to reproduce if it comes to that. Just have member here do some measuring. Good luck!

Al James

Hunter
Another idea is to contact ruger via email. Attention Joe Cramer. When you call you tend to get order takers instead of techs. Just a thought if you are open to making another run at the mothership. :wink:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Here is a link to a P89X that was for sale. It shows a spring and rod combo that is no captured.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11085331

roylt

Hunter
I bet the guide rod shown on gunpartscorp is the rod for the 9mm setup.

Cheesewhiz, The guide rod shown is for the 9mm setup and uncaptured because the 30 setup is in the gun.

The 30 luger set is like the OP says, captured.

roylt

Hunter
Question...
Why do you need this guide rod? Do you plan to shoot 30 luger? Or just trying to make your unit complete again?

Also if it was me, I would just try it with the 9mm guide rod. If it works great, if not, so be it. Won't hurt anything to try.

journeyman

Bearcat
Correct, the one for the .30 Luger is in the gun on the previous comment. The 9mm set up operates correctly, I just want to use the .30 Luger as well. Thanks for the help folks. Took another run at Ruger and no specs or even an offer to make one up. They just said obsolete and proprietary.

wildturk

Single-Sixer
I don't think Ruger will be much help. I recall several years ago when I was looking to stock spare 89X parts from Ruger, being told that a new product manager disposed of the 89X parts not knowing what they were for or their rarity. I luckily talked to a person that set a few parts aside allowing me to buy what was left. So, I'm not sure if this has changed.

journeyman

Bearcat
Thanks, still trying with Ruger, also I may send the slide and barrel out to someone that makes guide rod/spring assemblies and have one made. Not really wanting to do that though.

journeyman

Bearcat
Thanks, still trying with Ruger, also I may send the slide and barrel out to someone that makes guide rod/spring assemblies and have one made. Not really wanting to do that though.

roylt

Hunter
I forget right now which has a captured guide rod but I think it is the P94 in 40 cal.

I still think you should just try the 9mm guide rod and see what happens.

journeyman

Bearcat
There in only one set-up that will work and that is the one year only Guide rod/spring assy for the .30 luger barrel set-up that came with the KP89X. 1994-1995

Regards

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
roylt said:
I bet the guide rod shown on gunpartscorp is the rod for the 9mm setup.

Cheesewhiz, The guide rod shown is for the 9mm setup and uncaptured because the 30 setup is in the gun.

The 30 luger set is like the OP says, captured.

So if his 9mm is not a captured spring/recoil rod assembly he could easily get a lower power recoil spring in order to shoot .30 Luger rounds in his P89. The 9mm spring is an 11# spring so a reduced spring of 9# from Wolff should work just fine. If all he wants to do is shoot .30 Luger once in a while in the pistol that would be the easiest and least expensive way to do it.