Hickock on the RAP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I watched it and I found he was lukewarm to say the least. He finds something to like about most everything. He had to really ponder what to like about the RAP. He didn't even seem to have fun with it. I have a feeling he's not writing a check for that one :)

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
I watched it and I found he was lukewarm to say the least. He finds something to like about most everything. He had to really ponder what to like about the RAP. He didn't even seem to have fun with it. I have a feeling he's not writing a check for that one :)

Yeah ... I'd agree with that as well.

He's not 'reserving a place in his safe for this one' ....

Or

'Writing a check for this one' ....

Or

'Telling the vendor they won't be getting this one back'

Or

Any other cute gun rag writer sayings for guns whose maker bought 4 page advertisements in the same gun rag.

REV

RioGrande481

Bearcat
Rev, you are right about the video. It seems he has to think about how be tactful.

A bit off topic, but I am still loving my CZ 75 SP01...

cyborgt800

Single-Sixer
I find a lot of people hate on Ruger just to hate on Ruger...

Who cares if some "expert" doesn't like something?

Buy what YOU like!

revhigh

Hawkeye
RioGrande481 said:
It seems he has to think about how be tactful.

That describes perfectly what I was trying fairly unsuccessfully to say. :D

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
revhigh said:
Hey Cheese !

Good to hear from you. I wouldn't exactly call the G19 compact, or the 1911 striker fired ! :D

Didn't you think it was kind of weird the way he spoke about it though ? Watch it again and you'll see what I mean, now that I've mentioned it. I've always liked his stuff too, and have watched tons of his vids.

Did you see what I just ordered ? 9mm Range Officer in STAINLESS ! Couldn't resist now that it's in stainless as of Jan 2016. Another upgrade over the parked one it has is Fiber optic front sights. I love adjustable sights on a target 1911.

Rewatch the vid and check back.

I sure hope Hickock isn't becoming a typical 'gun writer' .... :D

PS ... Just watched the first of his CZ75 vids ... Man he loves that gun. Loves the sights, the trigger, the accuracy, the grip, the construction, the similarity to the 1911, etc. My kinda guy. LOL

REV

Rev, you must suffer from some form of attention defect or whatever, you knucklehead. :D

I think I was quite clear in my point about the 1911 and Hickok, I am also well aware that 1911's are hammer fired with a firing pin but it also has the same pull always which seems to be important to him.

The Glock 19 is a compact gun in it's original meaning, a more compact version of a full sized duty pistol. Any pistol based on a full sized pistol that is truncated to have a barrel typically between 3.5" and 4" in length and a shortened grip with slightly less mag capacity. A Glock 26 is what was called a sub-compact back when it was introduced. I prefer to call the new mini 9mm pistols with single stack magazines, Pocket 9's as it is more representative to what they are.

...and I did see your post about the new Springer in 9mm, sounds like you might have some fun with that. Rev, please read my posts in full next time and I won't have to write rebuttals. LOL

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I think his fav gun ever is the Glock 19!

Yeah, he said that a number of times in his videos. He once even explained why he wasn't all that much of a fan of the G17 even though he was a Glock backer. I actually know a few Glock guys that feel the same way.

welder

Buckeye
I have both and carry the G19 daily, but the G17 fits my hand better due to the finger groove spacing. I sometimes carry it but usually it lives in the nightstand with a tac lite. I know I am in the minority on the G17 v G10 thing. Oh well, that's why they make both.

I watched the RAP video again last night, Hickok shot it very well. Kinda looked smallish in his hands.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
In 9mm I prefer the 19 hands down. The 17 just feels huge, although I can see the benefit if you are shooting only stout rounds or set it up as a dedicated target pistol.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
revhigh said:
Hickock pretty much thinks they are ..... But this isn't about CZ75's. It's about Hickock's reaction to RAPs ... Not mine.

Hi, Rev

I'm at the bottom end of the totem pole as to how many of Hickok's videos I've seen, but the comments here about his "Here's the gun, etc." approach seem to hold pretty true in those I've watched. Only time I recall him ever saying outright "I just can't warm up to this gun" involved one of the tiny NAA Mini .22 revolvers. With the factory grips, anyone over the age of six will probably find them undersized, so you can imagine how they felt to Hickok and his son, as they're both pretty close to full grown size! However, NAA came up with a larger, folding grip, which he tried in a later video, and he admitted "Maybe I can change my mind" about the new gun/grip combo.

Rick C

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Well, Hickok has just posted a new chapter 2 video on the Glock 17 Gen 4. Has some discussion with himself about why he prefers a 19 over a 17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWBOdDenqs4