LCP hard to movie slide.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rocket_19

Bearcat
My mother got a Ruger LCP for her CCW. Shoots .380. Tried it out at the range and the slide was so hard to pull back. Is this just cause it's new and I just need to work it more? The reason I ask is because if for some reason I needed to lock the slide back (which I hate because I can't ever get the slide lock up) it's hard to pull the slide back enough to lock it. Just need to work it more? Or is there more I can do?

trjggerjerk

Bearcat
Most folks clean a new pistol before they shoot it. Field strip it per manual. Look for any burrs or dings. Wipe everything metal down with lightly oiled cloth. Some folks (like me) lightly grease rails. Lightly is key here and don't get too hung up on what kind of lubricants. Others shoot em virtually dry. It should loosen up with use... If it still fights back, I've had excellent service from Ruger.....

I'd also recommend a class or some form of training to become more familiar with shooting/care of the weapon and laws surrounding concealed carry and the use of lethal force.

rocket_19

Bearcat
Thanks. We've all taken a class and we got familiar the firearm, but it's still a pain the ass. Thanks for the reply!

joemsj51

Bearcat
rocket_19 said:
Thanks. We've all taken a class and we got familiar the firearm, but it's still a pain the ass. Thanks for the reply!

Nah, the real pain in the azz is trying to get that little pin back in that itsy-bitsy hole. :p

Al James

Hunter
A locked breech weapon of such small dimension can offer a challenge when trying to manipulate the slide AND trying to lock the action open using the slide stop. Especially for individuals with low hand strength and or are not overly familiar with the proper use of SA pistols.

There are some strength compounding techniques that may help you and your mother. And they are even good training techniques for those who do NOT have a problem manipulating the slide coming from just a muscle memory standpoint. My apologies if you and mom already have this knowledge and its still being a chump to run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbayNc6D9HY

Al James said:
A locked breech weapon of such small dimension can offer a challenge when trying to manipulate the slide AND trying to lock the action open using the slide stop. Especially for individuals with low hand strength and or are not overly familiar with the proper use of SA pistols.

There are some strength compounding techniques that may help you and your mother. And they are even good training techniques for those who do NOT have a problem manipulating the slide coming from just a muscle memory standpoint. My apologies if you and mom already have this knowledge and its still being a chump to run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbayNc6D9HY

This I can agree with *thumbsup

trjggerjerk

Bearcat
Ya beat me to suggesting a study of slide manipulation technique!!!

The hand over the slide method in the video is one method that certainly works, but WATCH THE MUZZLE! I have noticed too many people at the local public range who seem to have a tendency to point the gun across their body when using this technique. This leaves muzzle pointing to the side (down the row of shooters!) as opposed to directly downrange. You may have to turn sideways or whatever. Watch the person in the vid. The muzzle crept away from facing directly to front.

And yep, we lcp'ers are all stuck with that little slide lock and pin.....

Putting the top portion of the slide above the barrel against a table and then pushing down will rack the slide or hold it back to put the slide stop in play. Good luck. Yep those little pins are a PITA!
gramps