New to me Ruger P-95, possible problem?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

demented

Single-Sixer
I've found that when firing single action, if I pull the trigger slow, the hammer will fall just halfway and stop. When this happens the trigger will reset further out a bit, if I pull the trigger again the hammer will then fall the rest of the way. This is a safety model if that matters...

demented said:
I've found that when firing single action, if I pull the trigger slow, the hammer will fall just halfway and stop. When this happens the trigger will reset further out a bit, if I pull the trigger again the hammer will then fall the rest of the way. This is a safety model if that matters...

When was the gun purchased? New or used? When did it start exhibiting this issue? Sounds like a disconnect issue? Maybe others here will have more info.

demented

Single-Sixer
No idea when or where, just bought it recently, used. Hadn't noticed the issue until I decided to fire it first time off a bench to see what sort of accuracy it has. Trying to ease off a shot, I was surprised when the hammer fell halfway. Also notice that when holding trigger back, cocking hammer with my thumb I can feel something hitting.
EDITED TO ADD: Apparently the trigger bar is not being cammed down far enough by the slide, I stuck the end of a small flat screwdriver between the slide and trigger bar, problem went away. Now, if Ruger no longer supports these pistols, what do I do? It could be the trigger bar itself and even an out of spec slide. This is why I usually stay away from firearms that have been dumped by the manufacturer.

roylt

Hunter
Have you taken it apart and cleaned it? Put a little grease / lube behind the trigger bar and see if it loosens up.

But with that said the hammer should only have one spot on the sear to "hold". Half cock position is a mystery for sure.

Post a picture.

demented said:
No idea when or where, just bought it recently, used. Hadn't noticed the issue until I decided to fire it first time off a bench to see what sort of accuracy it has. Trying to ease off a shot, I was surprised when the hammer fell halfway. Also notice that when holding trigger back, cocking hammer with my thumb I can feel something hitting.
EDITED TO ADD: Apparently the trigger bar is not being cammed down far enough by the slide, I stuck the end of a small flat screwdriver between the slide and trigger bar, problem went away. Now, if Ruger no longer supports these pistols, what do I do? It could be the trigger bar itself and even an out of spec slide. This is why I usually stay away from firearms that have been dumped by the manufacturer.

Since Ruger no longer supports these pistols, you have a few options.

1. You could call Ruger. They will tell you they can take the old gun back and give you a nice discount on a current production one. *Requires another FFL transfer.

2. If you're mechanically inclined and the gun isn't to be used in self defense (liability is high if it fails you when you need it) you could disassemble it, clean it thoroughly, and reassemble it. (Might be a grease ball stuck behind the trigger bar disconnector as mentioned above) *Not referring to a simple field strip here.

Or take it to a gun smith and have it professionally repaired. *Keep your invoice and receipt for this service.

Those are about your only options.

Al James

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
demented said:

Ruger no longer supports these pistols, however, you have a few options.

1. You could call Ruger. They will tell you they can take the old gun back and give you a nice discount on a current production one. *Requires another FFL transfer.

2. If you're mechanically inclined and the gun isn't to be used in self defense (liability is high if it fails you when you need it) you could disassemble it, clean it thoroughly, and reassemble it. (Might be a grease ball stuck behind the trigger bar disconnector as mentioned above) *Not referring to a simple field strip here.

Or take it to a gun smith and have it professionally repaired. *Keep your invoice and receipt for this service.

That's about it...

Where did you get this information?

demented

Single-Sixer
Unless the new Ruger American is worth having, there isn't anything Ruger I'd care to own. Done the LC9 and the SR9 song and dance, both were problematical from the start, at least the LC finally worked, the SR never was worth a hoot. I may call Ruger to see just what they will or will not do.

Al James

Hunter
That would be my suggestion. Unless the frame is damaged I'm sure they could fix your P95. They may let you cross over to a rifle replacement too if needed. Let us know how it works out!

demented said:
Unless the new Ruger American is worth having, there isn't anything Ruger I'd care to own. Done the LC9 and the SR9 song and dance, both were problematical from the start, at least the LC finally worked, the SR never was worth a hoot. I may call Ruger to see just what they will or will not do.

+1

Al James

Hunter
In regard to a damaged frame or as a blanket policy? They told you they wouldn't look at and try to fix a P95?

Al James said:
In regard to a damaged frame or as a blanket policy? They told you they wouldn't look at and try to fix a P95?

Never read anything about a cracked frame. I was replying to the OP. When dealing with a P95 in the past the stated they don't support that model anymore and offered to replace it. (Give me credit for it toward a new Ruger)

Al James

Hunter
Just a question DA. Ruger has a list of guns they no longer support. The P95 is not on the list from what I can tell:

http://www.ruger.com/service/partsService.html

My question was a sincere one. I consider Demented to be a friend of mine and I'm trying to help him get his issue resolved. My bad. :oops:

Call them and tell them you have a problem with your P95. Give them your serial number when they ask for it. Then listen to their spiel. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Talked to, Samantha? I think... If that helps?

demented

Single-Sixer
Just got off the phone with a lady at Ruger. They WILL look at it, were gonna charge 30 bucks for a FedX shipping label, talked her out of me having to pay shipping. Said it would take 7-10 days after it arrived BUT the bad is there may be a charge for the repair which is new for me with Ruger. My gun was made in 2013, seems any firearm over two years old is not under normal warranty now. Not a terrible thing but totally different that what I'm used to with Ruger, they once upon a time paid shipping both ways and repaired firearms with no mention of there being any payment. All in all, I'm pleased so far, unless the repair costs a ton of money I'll be happy. Since I bought it used I have no right or expectations of a free ride, but I can hope! I think this 95 had this problem when new, normal firing you would never notice it had issues.

Al James

Hunter
I understand the OP did not have a frame issue. That is why I asked YOU if the frame was damaged in the case that YOU dealt with. I HAVE heard of entire gun replacements on the P97 and P94 due to a lack of replacement frames. Otherwise from my experience they have a stock of replacement parts for many of the P models. They do not sell them to the public as they are hoarding them for the rare occasions that a P gun needs fixed. :wink:

Also, unfortunately, if you get an answer from Ruger CS that you don't like....get their name. Call back the next day and make another run at the same issue with someone else. The folks running the phones are NOT necessarily gun people...so one answer from one order taker may not match the next. I have found this to be the case multiple times. Great CS most the time...but not always consistent. Just my .02 but as you like to point out.... WTH do I know. I don't even own any guns according to Rev..... :lol:

Al James

Hunter
But....but.....but...DA said.... :lol:

I doubt they will charge you for anything. To this day except for mags, accessories, or refinishing services Ruger has NEVER sent me a bill for ANYTHING. Best CS in the business in my experience. YMMV and apparently it does.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Never hurts to send it back to see what they might do for you. They could have instructed their staff not to tell people they are getting free repairs, even if that is what happens.