Why no LC380 discussions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
I think most people go for the LC9 if they're getting into a gun physically larger than the LCP in 380.

REV

louchia

Single-Sixer
I've been thinking of getting one. I would very much like to read comments on the LC380. I've looked at one at the LG and like the way it feels. It is also easier to rack than the LCP but only slightly larger. It also has a last round hold open and mag safety. both features that I like.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I've lost track of what's currently going on with the LC line. I know the LC9S has a much improved trigger. I believe I've read the LCP's trigger is a little better. My question is what is the LC380 trigger like? Is it like the old LC9 or the new LC9S? Or somewhere in between?

5of7

Hunter
If one is recoil sensitive, then the LC380 might make sense. Otherwise, since the LC380 and the LC9 are the same size and weight, what would be the point?

Nothing against the .380, I carry a LCP sometimes, but there is a good reason for it as the LCP is quite a bit smaller than the LC9 and hence easier to conceal. 8)

Rei40c

Blackhawk
5of7 said:
If one is recoil sensitive, then the LC380 might make sense. Otherwise, since the LC380 and the LC9 are the same size and weight, what would be the point?

Just yesterday I suggested this as a first gun to a female friend who's going for her CCP soon. What I liked about it over the LCP is it's a little heavier, tad more radius between the sights, and has sights big enough to learn basic sight alignment, maybe a little easier than an LCP.

So for her it would be perfect in my opinion at least, but yes other than that there seems to be little point. Especially since the LC9S's trigger is supposed to be so good now according to what I've heard.

5of7

Hunter
Just yesterday I suggested this as a first gun to a female friend who's going for her CCP soon. What I liked about it over the LCP is it's a little heavier, tad more radius between the sights, and has sights big enough to learn basic sight alignment, maybe a little easier than an LCP.

So for her it would be perfect in my opinion at least, but yes other than that there seems to be little point. Especially since the LC9S's trigger is supposed to be so good now according to what I've heard.

I think that would be a good example of where and when it makes sense.

When my niece got her CPL, I took her to our range with a LC9s and a Smith 642. She opted for a revolver because she found semi autos a little complicated and also she had trouble loading the magazine. So I got her a LCR in .38 Sp.

When she went for the training the jerk who administered the shooting portion wouldn't let her wear a glove, saying that she wouldn't be wearing a shooting glove in a gun fight.
Well, that is probably true, but she also wouldn't be shooting 50 rounds either.
The result was that when she got done, she had developer a pretty bad flinch.
She didn't have the flinch when she and I were shooting at the range.

So I can see your point. 8)

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I'm so spoiled by my Glock 42 I would probably never bother with an LC-380. However, if I lived in the DPRCA I would get one as the politburo hasn't yet removed it from the nice list.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
5of7 said:

I think that would be a good example of where and when it makes sense.

When my niece got her CPL, I took her to our range with a LC9s and a Smith 642. She opted for a revolver because she found semi autos a little complicated and also she had trouble loading the magazine. So I got her a LCR in .38 Sp.

When she went for the training the jerk who administered the shooting portion wouldn't let her wear a glove, saying that she wouldn't be wearing a shooting glove in a gun fight.
Well, that is probably true, but she also wouldn't be shooting 50 rounds either.
The result was that when she got done, she had developer a pretty bad flinch.
She didn't have the flinch when she and I were shooting at the range.

So I can see your point. 8)

My friend is in a state where she has to fire 50 rounds to qualify as well. The .38 is a light caliber but not in a gun that light. I'd really like the LCR to be a little heavier just for the reason you described. It's a shame they apparently trained a flinch into her but maybe with another outting with a heavier gun that could be corrected maybe.

And in the case of the trainer you mentioned, two days ago while looking around the internet for places who offer the official course, I found one guy who's requirements where so strict he only allowed a certain sized gun belt. 1 and 1/4 inches to be exact no exceptions. :roll: Along with this was a list of several firearm manufacturers he did not allow on his range because they where not high quality enough. High Points, Charter Arms, I believe Taurus was also mentioned.

Now look I can understand and we all know these are the lower end of firearms. But there's many documented cases of even a High Point feeding multiple hundreds of rounds without failure. Granted the plastic may melting at that point but they are running.. and good enough to get through 50 rounds needed for a qualification by far. In the case of Charter Arms revolvers, again we know they are not the best but I've heard of these revolvers being handed down to peoples kids running trouble free all along.

Some take things too far, anyway I hope she was able to qualify.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
FergusonTO35 said:
I'm so spoiled by my Glock 42 I would probably never bother with an LC-380. However, if I lived in the DPRCA I would get one as the politburo hasn't yet removed it from the nice list.

I suggested the 42 to her almost first thing if she had to have.380, actually the M&P Shield in 9mm is what I really wanted to get her into more than that but she's on a very tight budget and is freaked out by 9mm thinking it's too much recoil. I'm positive I could get her shooting it well but she's a long distance away. Plus as a first time female gun buyer she's probably got 10 people filling her head with advice besides mine and I think that's where the .380 idea came from in the first place, it wasn't from me. Somehow she's got in her mind she can't fire a 9mm.

groberts

Single-Sixer
Rei40c said:
I've lost track of what's currently going on with the LC line. I know the LC9S has a much improved trigger. I believe I've read the LCP's trigger is a little better. My question is what is the LC380 trigger like? Is it like the old LC9 or the new LC9S? Or somewhere in between?
The trigger is like the LC9 since it is the same gun except for barrel, recoil spring and magazine. The Saint Arms trigger arm helps a bunch.

groberts

Single-Sixer
Rei40c said:
5of7 said:

From articles I've read the snappy recoil of the LCP is pretty much the same as the LC9 because it is so light. The felt recoil of the LC380 is about half that of either of the others. And in a gun this light recoil translates into accuracy. I have found that even with the Saint Arms trigger bar my LC380 has a larger spread than my Bersa Thunder 380 which weighs about a half pound more.
Don't get me wrong, both are still well within kill zones at 7 yards.

groberts

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
Don't want any Glock leg, thank you.

joemsj51

Bearcat
You can also consider a Beretta Tomcat .32ACP for her. Recoil is noticeably lighter than the LCP and no need for her to use the slide. All she would do is fill the magazine - then use the pop-up button on the left-hand side to insert a bullet into the barrel - then close the barrel shut and the bullet is chambered.

I'm not sure, but the cheaper Keltec .32ACP may also be built the same way. The 32s in the Ruger revolver lineup shoot magnum loads and recoil would be higher, about the same as the LCP.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The Kel-Tec P32 is a great little pocket rocket. Very easy to shoot, and fairly potent with European ammo.

My 42 has a fairly heavy trigger pull, at least 8 pounds. It is definitely heavier than most double action autos, which is fine with me.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
groberts said:
Rei40c said:
The trigger is like the LC9 since it is the same gun except for barrel, recoil spring and magazine. The Saint Arms trigger arm helps a bunch.

Okay thanks, I'd probably be okay with replacing a trigger arm if it was me. I don't really start to get nervous about after market parts until springs get involved. In that case I'd have to do tons of research. But I've heard of Saint Arms before and I'm sure they are reputable.

P.S. Thanks Grobert for the heads up on the Tomcat. It's a neat lil gun and I'll pass on the suggestion.

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
The Kel-Tec P32 is a great little pocket rocket. Very easy to shoot, and fairly potent with European ammo.

My 42 has a fairly heavy trigger pull, at least 8 pounds. It is definitely heavier than most double action autos, which is fine with me.
I think glock markets the guns as having trigger pull weight between 6.5-7.5 lb. range?
Most double action autos have 10 lb pulls. I know of some heavier.Sig sauer p226/229 DAK triggers are 12 lb

cluznar

Bearcat
I have a friend who has an LC380 and he really likes it. He glued a piece of mouse pad on the grip starting at the middle of the grip and wrapping around to the middle of the other side. Then he put a rubber slip-on grip over it. You feel very little recoil. I shot a mag with it and it shoots great, is accurate. He said he had a couple hiccups in the first 30 or 40 rounds, but the last 500 have been flawless. If I wanted a .380 I would buy it in a minute.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My Glock 42 trigger is noticeably heavier than my 19 and 26, all of which use OEM parts. I find it takes more of a conscious effort to press the trigger of the 42 than it does to fire my S&W .38's double action.