P95 plus + rated?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
I read the manual and it refers to any SAAMI ammo, but I don't see "+P rated" in the text. I know that some revolvers are marked as such when chambered in .38 Special. I may be missing something.I tried to research +P related to SAAMI specs but find little. Hmm. Thanks. Don

roylt

Hunter
I have not read the manual cover to cover but I'm sure any P-gun can take any store bought ammo. I don't think Ruger would build something that could not take it because some person would try to load it and blow their hand off.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
SAAMI has a specification for 9 mm+P so that falls under the category of "any SAAMI ammo" and the P-95 will certainly shoot it safely. However, don't extend that approval to +P+ since there is no SAAMI spec for it and you, and Ruger, have no idea what you are getting.

These days guns specifically not rated for +P are quite clear on that limitation. Also, a steady diet of +P ammo will wear out any gun faster than standard pressure ammo so, except for function checking and SD use there is no reason to beat up the gun or yourself using it routinely.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thank you. After ordering some I began to wonder if Federal HydroShock is +P level or not. Didn't se it mentioned in my reading, but again I always realize I'm not perfect. My P95 won't be shooting a lot of the HydroShok 124 grain, but I'd sure need to know if I was making a mistake. Thanks as always folks. Don

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The manual for the P95 I used to have stated plainly that the pistol could handle any SAAMI, CIP, or NATO spec ammo under the sun. It also stated that there is no recognized standard for +P+.

welder

Buckeye
Been a bunch through my mine without a hitch. Most recently some NATO surplus compliments of a friend who didn't care for it in his LC9.

websterz

Single-Sixer
welder said:
Been a bunch through my mine without a hitch. Most recently some NATO surplus compliments of a friend who didn't care for it in his LC9.
I can't imagine why. :)

welder

Buckeye
websterz said:
welder said:

Bet ye can.... :lol:

I ran some of the NATO threw my PC9 and it just burped and rolled it's eyes, said, "is that all ya got", and went back to sleep.

Dang good brass too.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
welder said:
websterz said:
welder said:

Bet ye can.... :lol:

I ran some of the NATO threw my PC9 and it just burped and rolled it's eyes, said, "is that all ya got", and went back to sleep.

Dang good brass too.
I don't think the gun was bothered but the recoil probably made the shooter have second thoughts about firing a bunch more.

welder

Buckeye
Probably so.

This is the same guy who traded me a 2"SP101 .357 a few years ago due to the recoil. Tried to show him some Hogues's to help, but no, he didn't want it. One of the best SP's I've owned. A good guy to trade with, deep pockets and impulsiveness. I get some of his buyers regret stuff now and again. :D

welder said:
Probably so.

This is the same guy who traded me a 2"SP101 .357 a few years ago due to the recoil. Tried to show him some Hogues's to help, but no, he didn't want it. One of the best SP's I've owned. A good guy to trade with, deep pockets and impulsiveness. I get some of his buyers regret stuff now and again. :D

I know a couple of those. Got some nice stuff that way too. Guns included, but not limited to only.