WALTHER

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lostdog

Bearcat
A man came into our range Yesterday,he had 3 different types of Walther' Pistols . P99as , PPQ and a PPS.
I've heard the PPQ has a very good trigger , so, I ask "you mine if I shoot your PPQ ?" It was the best I ever shot for a Plastic gun, reset was short and break was clean (4.5 to 5 lbs ) .. Opinion are welcome , lets hear from people who have shot it . I"m ready for the NA ! :roll: :p :p

:

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I loved the Walther PPS in 9mm, in fact I almost bought it instead of the Sr40c. The only downside I had with it is the limited capacity, and at the time I was dead set on having a .40cal which my lgs did not have at the time. I considered the P99as but everyone told me not to buy it because something "even better was coming" which turned out later to be the PPQ. So it was bad timing and I got the Ruger just before the PPQ started showing up on shelves. I like the forward slide cuts on the 99AS much! better than the PPQ. Where it's angled in, that's a really cool look.

Anyway in my opinion the PPS was more fun to shoot, it just didn't meet my needs at the time in terms of capacity or caliber. Hum... a double stack 9mm of the PPS would be interesting.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Also I forgot to mention, another reason I didn't buy it is the PPS was Very expensive at the time. 750-800 that was another big factor. They've since come down and are much more reasonable but years ago they where very pricey. I bet you could find the old version of the PPS used for a steal nowadays.

lostdog

Bearcat
Rei40c said:
Also I forgot to mention, another reason I didn't buy it is the PPS was Very expensive at the time. 750-800 that was another big factor. They've since come down and are much more reasonable but years ago they where very pricey. I bet you could find the old version of the PPS used for a steal nowadays.

Thanks for your Informative reply's , I hope this may help someone else !

The PPQ and the VP9 are the best two "wonder nines" in my stable...on my examples, the triggers are 1a and 1b, i.e...both excellent triggers, not as good as on my custom 1911's of course, but very shoot able. I think I am going to buy the PPS when I find one lightly used or on sale. The VP9 fits my hand a little better but the Walther is an excellent pistol...the Germans make outstanding firearms, for my money.

YMMV...

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
imho, the PPQ has the best trigger out of the box as far as plastic guns go.......and better than a lot of metals as well. the ergos are a little better than the P99 but the P99c is much more versatile as far as grip size. the PPQ only comes in one trigger configuration and that is the glock style safety. the P99 has 3 different styles of trigger with the "AS" (anti stress) style being the most popular and features a decocker. the PPQ comes in an M1 and an M2 version. the older M1 and the p99 has a paddle mag release like an HK but is a little wider for a better purchase for your finger to activate. one nice thing about owning the M1, P99 and a P99c is that the mags are all compatible. the newer M2 is a button release and was aimed for the american market and takes M2 mags only. while i can not speak of the PPS, it has a proven track record and like previously stated it has come down in price considerably. as for the PK380......well it certainly is not on par as the PPQ, P99 or even the PPS and it has received it's fair share of criticism, for the $$ i'd rather have it over the S&W bodyguard or or even the Ruger .380 offerings. ours has been almost flawless and keeps the Dillon very active cranking out a pretty accurate load topped with a cheap berry's plated 100gr RN. i will say the materials are not the same as it's other brothers and it even comes out of a different factory but Walther has a very long history of producing pistols in smaller calibers and the PK380 seems to absorb the "snappy-ness" that a 9mm kurt can have in a smaller less ergo gun and almost lke shooting a .22lr. my EDC is a P99c AS with an extended mag that gives me a little shorter length barrel but a full combat grip and it fits my style of carry. if you like the glock style trigger then the PPQ can't be beat. for the longest time i resisted the plastic evolution but Walther has seemed to ease my reluctance.......hell, i even started having faith in calibers under .45.........i cant believe i said that in public.............. :shock:

btw, Walther recently released the PPQ M2 in a .45, it is the first .45 that Walther has made.......if ya don't count the SW99.....the bottoms are Walther while the top is S&W.

lostdog

Bearcat
Has anyone owned the P99as , how did you like the trigger? After the first shot does it work like a normal striker fired gun ? is it smooth and a clean break ? thanks for your time + replies.....

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
i have 2.....40 and 9mm......i like the trigger.........yes.......yes.....and yes. i suggest you find one @ an LGS and try the trigger. once you rack it, the pull is light, if you decock it then it acts like a dbl action pull and then subsequent pulls are like single.

Nh Rugerman said:
The PPQ and the VP9 are the best two "wonder nines" in my stable...on my examples, the triggers are 1a and 1b, i.e...both excellent triggers, not as good as on my custom 1911's of course, but very shoot able. I think I am going to buy the PPS when I find one lightly used or on sale. The VP9 fits my hand a little better but the Walther is an excellent pistol...the Germans make outstanding firearms, for my money.

YMMV...

I have found the same with the PPQ and VP9 here, that is why those are my two favorite carry pistols!

demented

Single-Sixer
I have a Gen 1 P-99 AS with the QPQ slide finish I bought in '99 and a 2004 model AS as well. Traditional D/A-S/A which I like, wouldn't sell either. Also have owned a PPS for three years, it shoots like a much larger pistol, has never malfunctioned. The PPQ trigger is nice but for a carry piece I prefer something with a little more safety margin, thats just me though. Bottom line is I prefer Walther over any other plastic pistol by a wide margin.

lostdog said:
A man came into our range Yesterday,he had 3 different types of Walther' Pistols . P99as , PPQ and a PPS.
I've heard the PPQ has a very good trigger , so, I ask "you mine if I shoot your PPQ ?" It was the best I ever shot for a Plastic gun, reset was short and break was clean (4.5 to 5 lbs ) .. Opinion are welcome , lets hear from people who have shot it . I"m ready for the NA ! :roll: :p :p

:

The PPQ M2 has one of the best triggers available in a Poly framed handgun! Though I would dare submit that the Sig P320 is slightly nicer (debatable).

*The above statement is made based on my personal experience with each gun.

Two things I didn't like about the PPQ M2 were:
1. the ergonomics. The accuracy was on par for the range of pistols in this class. Did I mention the trigger was good?

2. I didn't like the unnecessary front slide serrations. They are totally unnecessary. This is proven by the fact that Walther has ground them completely off in the middle on the left side (the middle four serrations, GONE) facilitate the plastering of that big ugly Walther logo.

I did like the push button mag release, the original model had the lever (HK style) release.

Overall a good gun.

What I liked:
The accuracy
The reliability

Didn't like the grip or the ergos. The front slide sarrations could go away!

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
I have the Walthers PPQ M2 4" gun and I love it for shooting. It's trigger is very good and the gun is very accurate even out to 25 yards.

I also have the Ruger LC9S Pro and I like the trigger on the Ruger too. Having a shorter barrel (approx. 3") it's less accurate than the PPQ 4".

I was carrying the PPQ for a while but found it to be too big and heavy for my taste and body shape. So now I carry the Ruger with me every where.

If I go to the outdoor shooting range I prefer to shoot the PPQ and often leave my new AR15 Ambush Firearms Rifle at home.

I've had the PPQ for about two years now and have put at least 8 or 9 cases of 350 rounds per case though the gun with no failure to fire or jams.

Zebraranger

Single-Sixer
I've owned this P99 .40 with the AS trigger since 2001. Best polymer handgun that I've ever owned, and I have a few. Ergonomics are perfect and the trigger is so buttery smooth, its the best way that I can describe it. When they hit the market it was of the best kept secrets in its first few years of existence. I've long ago lost track of how many rounds have been thru it, but it has never failed.

jimmyjsr40

Bearcat
Just a thought about the PPQ and the Sig 320 which I own. My hands and fingers are arthritic enough that I am more conscious of feeling my finger bend than pressure on the trigger. Both are sweet shooting pistols!

wanderson

Bearcat
I've owned a 9mm PPS for over three years with no complaints. Has the best striker fire trigger I've ever shot. Better than my LC9S, better than my Shield. Way better than any Glocks I've owned.

Also more accurate than my Shield & LC9S, maybe because I've had more trigger time. But a VERY low recoiling pistol, which helps. Quality has also been excellent, no issues, no failures, no stoppages with any ammo I've run thru it.

The older M1 'classic' PPS does have a few features the new M2 doesn't. Like small & large backstraps, a front rail, and a paddle type mag release. But the M2 list price is under $400, which makes it competetive with Shield & LC9S. M1s still sell for $500 to $550.

In 9mm the HK VP9 is worth looking at for a larger double stack. I've got an HK USP made in 2000 that's built like a tank. Walther also just rolled out a .45acp model as well.