Ruger SR9 slide backplate removal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

left7hand

Bearcat
When did Ruger discontinue the small hole on the slide backplate for the SR9 that allows striker disassembly? I know that the SR9C does not have the hole. I had a problem with my slide locking closed today and I had to drive the disassembly pin out to remove the loaded round. I wanted to remove the striker assembly to clean but found that it cannot be removed. My pistol is about 3 months old.

I just found the answer in another post.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Turn the slide upside down, then push in on the striker block plunger and the mag disconnect (assuming you left it in place) and the striker will move forward. Stick a small punch into the hole over the striker tail and the backplate should slide down and out.

websterz

Single-Sixer
The cover is now held in place just by the striker assembly. The small spring and plunger are no longer there.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
websterz said:
The cover is now held in place just by the striker assembly. The small spring and plunger are no longer there.
Ruger realized the separate plunger and spring were't needed and the backplate is securely held by the striker tail. Current SR's no longer have them, or need them.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The SR seems to be aging well. The forums are no longer flooded with reports of light strikes, FTE, and barrel peening. My local shop sells as many as he can get ahold of and reports few problems. I really hope they continue the SR series and don't throw it overboard for the RAP.

websterz

Single-Sixer
I still get the occasional light strike with my SR9. I purchased a couple of heavier striker springs from Galloway for it and my SR45. I just need to get them put in when I can find a few minutes free.