Ankle carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lineman61

Bearcat
Hi,first post from N.C. Been a member since 2012 usually just read and learn from you guys.Anybody here ankle carry,any pros or cons. Thanks

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Yep, I ankle carry my S&W 637 snub .38 quite a bit. It works when maximum discretion is needed and/or you don't have any other feasible means of carry. With practice you would be surprised how quickly you can draw from the ankle. It is an excellent way to carry if you spend alot of time sitting and/or driving. The Desantis Apache is the best ankle rig I have found so far. It holds the pistol very snug, you could probably do without the retention strap if you wanted. The Apache also doesn't let the gun wiggle around when you walk.

hittman

Staff member
38 Special LCR in a leather Galco ankle holster for me. Been that way for a couple of years.

Down side is that access is not as quick or simple as in your pocket or waistband. Up side it that it fits how I dress for work and casual. There were even a couple of times last summer I got home from work, mowed the yard and then realized it was still on my ankle! That's comfort and condidence right there.

tinman

Buckeye
Tried it years back but could not make it work. Never did get a good fit inside a boot. Hated wearing low quarter shoes and every time I would take off running, that gun would just about beat my ankle to death. Might have worked with a smaller gun but I was carrying a .38 revolver.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
If I'm wearing boots it's probably cold enough to wear a coat, meaning I'm carrying OWB. Running? Nah, a fast mosey is about the best I can do. :)

mongochicago

Bearcat
Make sure that you increase your maintenance /inspection routine. I have seen ALOT of ankle holster guns inoperable or in bad shape. The body heat & sweat can do a real number on guns. I know that probably no one on this forum has to worry about it, but I felt that it should be said.

mongochicago said:
Make sure that you increase your maintenance /inspection routine. I have seen ALOT of ankle holster guns inoperable or in bad shape. The body heat & sweat can do a real number on guns. I know that probably no one on this forum has to worry about it, but I felt that it should be said.
In addition to being closer to dust and grit, that will layer on the gun.
gramps, who used to ankle carry 20 years ago.

welder

Buckeye
Bought a Galco for my G26, wished I'd gotten it for my Smith 642. I have only used it a couple times, always fall back to OWB or SOB.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The J frames are about the perfect ankle carry guns if there is such a thing. I don't find them comfortable either IWB or pocket due to the width of the cylinder and length of the muzzle to butt. My 637 carries on the ankle like it was made for it. The only thing I don't like is for some inexplicable reason Desantis did not give the J frame version a standard thumb break like the autos get, just a cheapo nylon strap that velcroes to the body of the holster. What I do is only attach the velcro about half way so that I can just pull the gun straight out without undoing anything. The Apache hugs this gun so closely you could probably just dispense with the strap altogether.

My 637 is loaded with a 146 grain lead semi-wadcutter at 760 fps: respectable performance for a gun this size, accurate, and easy to shoot.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
The best argument for ankle carry is when inside of a vehicle for long periods of time, long drives, or if you drive for a living. The seat belt and the fact you are in a sitting position makes drawing from anywhere on the waist awkward and slow. Shoulder rigs are often impractical in summer, this is where the ankle holster really shines in my opinion.

3' or 4' oclock in a nightmare to draw from concealment. In most cars not only is the belt in your way but the buckle itself often covers the holster and puts pressure against you making an already awkward draw even worse.

Dregg

Single-Sixer
I would never carry primarily on an ankle. Ankle carry is usually a secondary carry option.
The only time an ankle carry becomes "primary" is when you're seated in a vehicle and you can't access your normal primary carry weapon.