My LCP and I parted ways.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sturgis270

Single-Sixer
First off let me state that I am well aware the LCP is not by any means any thing more than a close in weapon. I liked the way it carried easily in my pocket. My problem was hitting a target at 25'. Maybe my aging eyes, maybe the lack of a real set of sights. Anyway a couple of retired friends and I were together last week. Friend A said that he had just purchased a Sig P238 and wished he had bought one with a laser. I'd seen his new Sig and took a shine to it so offered to buy it, which friend A agreed to. Mean while friend B who had been listening asked if I wanted to sell the LCP. Bingo. Sold. Took the Sig to the range yesterday and shot pretty well. I am going to enjoy it. These two guns are not in the same price range so its not an apple to apple comparison. One last thing , I also have a LC9 and I really love that gun!

joemsj51

Bearcat
Sturgis270 said:
First off let me state that I am well aware the LCP is not by any means any thing more than a close in weapon. I liked the way it carried easily in my pocket. My problem was hitting a target at 25'.

Here in Michigan, should you shoot someone, you better have a darn good explanation on why you chose to do so at 25'. You better prove your life was in imminent danger that far away from the bad guy.

You can improve accuracy with the LCP using a laser. Shooting accurately awkwardly / off-balance.... even leaning over, is key in a personal attack with that little pocket wizard. These are point and shoot guns and I would never sell mine.

I've come close to buying an LCP a couple times - the size is a major plus, but I agree that the sights on the ones I've seen aren't as good as I'd like either - getting older sucks, but it is better than the alternative!

I don't just practice at spittin distance with my firearms either. If you can hit well at 25 feet, you'll hit VERY well at 10 feet. And, not all things needing shooting are going to be humans standing still with a knife at under 10 feet, and you need to be proficient with the firearm you have available, regardless.

aomagrat

Bearcat
I sold my LCP also. I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't shoot it well. I reckon it was just too small and light for me. I couldn't get comfortable with it.

joemsj51

Bearcat
Even before my first trip to the range with my new LCP, I added Talon grips and a seven round magazine for better handling. Then I added Ruger ARX 56gr 380 ammo.

I love my LCP and it's not uncontrollable, should one make some changes that make it more accurate than the stock/factory version. It's a front pocket mainstay for me. Sometime I carry it and my 9mm on my hip, instead of adding magazines.

My only negative with the gun is the trigger. I get the "pinchees" on my index finger, for the trigger won't stop until it meets the trigger guard. So my last two range sessions saw a bandaid-wrap across my index finger and life became beautiful again.

Mickey D

Single-Sixer
joemsj51 said:
Sturgis270 said:
First off let me state that I am well aware the LCP is not by any means any thing more than a close in weapon. I liked the way it carried easily in my pocket. My problem was hitting a target at 25'.

Here in Michigan, should you shoot someone, you better have a darn good explanation on why you chose to do so at 25'. You better prove your life was in imminent danger that far away from the bad guy.
25' = Far away? 7-8 yards can be covered very quickly by a knife wielding person.

Sturgis270 said:
First off let me state that I am well aware the LCP is not by any means any thing more than a close in weapon. I liked the way it carried easily in my pocket. My problem was hitting a target at 25'. Maybe my aging eyes, maybe the lack of a real set of sights. Anyway a couple of retired friends and I were together last week. Friend A said that he had just purchased a Sig P238 and wished he had bought one with a laser. I'd seen his new Sig and took a shine to it so offered to buy it, which friend A agreed to. Mean while friend B who had been listening asked if I wanted to sell the LCP. Bingo. Sold. Took the Sig to the range yesterday and shot pretty well. I am going to enjoy it. These two guns are not in the same price range so its not an apple to apple comparison. One last thing , I also have a LC9 and I really love that gun!

You have great friends.

Nano65

Bearcat
I wouldn't part with my LCP. I carry it concealed every day. So far 485 trouble free rounds and contrary to what some people say I really like to shoot mine. I keep the LaserLyte zeroed in at 7 yards. When I want to carry a BIG gun I strap on my Nano. Hahaha
52ZGgXrl.jpg

44-357

Single-Sixer
I want to get a LCP but id like to fire one first.I had a glock 42 and it was to small and hard to shoot with I kept pulling it off to the left.so I moved it on down the line.

Nano65

Bearcat
44-357 said:
I want to get a LCP but id like to fire one first.I had a glock 42 and it was to small and hard to shoot with I kept pulling it off to the left.so I moved it on down the line.
If you didn't like the G42 because it was too small then you sure wouldn't like the LCP. The reason you were pulling it to the left was probably poor stance or bad hand grip. Look at these videos http://www.tacticalshooting.com/videos.
I love mine for close defensive carry. It is so easy to conceal.

You should be able to rent one at a shooting range. Call around.

trjggerjerk

Bearcat
Lcp-people love em or hate em. I love mine. 1500+ rounds thru gen 1 and trigger is pretty doggone good. Really. Replaced recoil springs. Fixin to replace rod. Cheap to do. Mine way more accurate than it should be. Automatic center punch, drill a dimple, white Testor's base coat covered with flo yellow sealed w clear fingernail polish on front sight. Fantastic DAYTIME aimer! My gen 3 trigger starting out nicer, but not used to change in rear sight yet. All about grip, t finger position and pull. Not as well built as my Sig P220, but still a serviceable pocket gun.

I can easily see why some despise the lcp. Ime not particularly fond of some other popular guns. So what! To each his own. For lots of reasons.

Wouldn't mind another Sig, however....

44-357

Single-Sixer
I could shoot the g42 more center if I used the tip of my finger on the trigger. now the glock 43 I qualified with 94.4 days and 93.2 nights for a off duty. the G 42 was to small for my hands.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
If the sights don't work for your eyes, I certainly understand getting rid of it.
Personally, I love mine. I find it pleasant to shoot and it will hold 2" groups pretty well at 10-12 yards. Get out to 20 yards and the groups look like a basketball. But it is a close range (1-10 yard) gun. Good luck with the Sig.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
joemsj51 said:

You can improve accuracy with the LCP using a laser. Shooting accurately awkwardly / off-balance.... even leaning over, is key in a personal attack with that little pocket wizard. These are point and shoot guns and I would never sell mine.

Especially since you have to hold the gun sideways when you shoot it in the D. Harder to shoot that way but you look cool doing it.... :D

Sturgis270

Single-Sixer
Picked up a 7 round extended mag for the Sig. Really think the trigger is much more to my liking than the LCP's long pull. Now I need to find time for another visit to the range. For those that still like the LCP I'm happy for you, nice little gun but in the long run it just was not right for me.

FergusonTO35

Hunter

Glocks will shoot to the left (if right handed) every time if you try to use your finger tip to press the trigger. I use almost the first bend of my trigger finger like I shoot my double action revolvers. It is not a target pistol with a light trigger, it is a combat pistol with a somewhat heavy trigger and a fair amount of overtravel.

joemsj51

Bearcat
The LCP is even smaller than the Glock42. The Glock was too big for my front pocket.
A week after I received my LCP, I found the 32 ACP Beretta Bobcat online. Wish now I had waited and bought that one. It has the pop-up barrel, easier on recoil and no slides to work. Just load the magazine and use the pop-up feature to load one in the chamber.

That one is coming to my gun safe in the next year. A Charter Arms 73220 Undercoverette 5-rd 32H&R revolver will eventually find my wife. Ruger has a .32 in Mag. But my wife wants soft recoil, more-so than myself. Ruger does not recommend S&W lighter loads in .32

trjggerjerk

Bearcat
Glocks will shoot to the left (if right handed) every time if you try to use your finger tip to press the trigger. I use almost the first bend of my trigger finger like I shoot my double action revolvers. It is not a target pistol with a light trigger, it is a combat pistol with a somewhat heavy trigger and a fair amount of overtravel.[/quote]

Excellent point on trigger finger position. I do use just the tip of finger with lcp cause I was dragging the trigger guard if I fed more finger thru it. Had to really focus on pull to keep from moving pistol off poa. Pull sensation of finger on trigger to sensation of grip in web of hand. Became subconscious for me pretty quick. Not righteously pushing my lcp solution. Just putting it out there....

Interestingly enough, I can shoot my gen 1 all day, no probs. It's the little changes in the gen 3 trigger that make me hurt and literally bleed after a box. Back to the drawing board (or get a Glock or another Sig?)

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
I have the LCP/laser version, laser went dim on me after one range session. I thought about returning it to Ruger but to be honest don't use the laser at all, its a belly gun. For me that means I'm shooting the bad guy at 5 yards or less and that's pushing it. I can pull from my front pocket or ankle holster and shoot without aiming and without the need of a laser. JMHO YMMV

Latest posts