Ruger P95PR ramp issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

muddyteeth

Bearcat
Hi guys, new to the page. Recently purchased my first ever Ruger secondhand. The original owners claimed to have only put 5 rounds through it without issue and didn't shoot again. I did a quick takedown of it, picked a few boogies out of the nooks and slapped it back together. Upon attempting to shoot today, I experienced 45 out of 50 rounds FTF. The first round of the magazine would chamber correctly, and every subsequent round would FTF, with 90% sliding up and left, and jam. Most of my experience with handguns is with revolvers, and I would like a few experienced opinions on this situation.

I am attaching some photographs I took of the ramp, that seems to show some asymmetrical features on the left of the curved radius on the ramp, as well as on the rim of the barrel (notice the wear at "7 oclock"). I sent the pictures to a buddy of mine and he suggested the ramp should not be silver, but rather painted or colored as the rest of the gun.

Buddy offered to dremel it down and put some rounds through it to see if he can get it acting right. I have already emailed Ruger and I'm waiting for a response to see if they can confirm if this is factory or user error. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/5hUtKAq
http://imgur.com/txJexsL
http://imgur.com/a/DpoLz

Edit: Ruled out "limp wrist" best as I could. I'm 6'2 with bear paw hands, as well as a more experienced shooter had the exact same issue.

hittman

Staff member
Since it's basically a new gun ..... I'd try a couple different types of ammo, 2 or 3 different magazines, clean and liberally lube before using a dremel.

Welcome to the Forum.

muddyteeth

Bearcat
Thank you for the info and the welcome. :D
As a moderator, I'd assume you know your stuff. Would you mind suggested a quality mag at a decent price? I'd rather not sink too much more cash into this just to end up without a solution.

I tried shooting win 115 hollowpoints, rp 115 fmj, and Perfecta 115. All jammed the exact same way.

roylt

Hunter
Looks like a normal P-gun ramp to me. I would not use a dremal but maybe just polish it a bit with some fine sand paper or a scotch brite pad.

hittman

Staff member
muddyteeth said:
As a moderator, I'd assume you know your stuff.

You give me way too much credit but I appreciate the kind words. The next guy to post, roylt, and several others here are bigger "P-nuts" than me.

Put a Want To Buy ad in the Classifieds here for mags. Both factory and MecGar work well in my P95, P90 and others. You will NOT end up with a gun you can't fix or isn't reliable. The old P series Rugers are some of the most dependable and trouble free semi-auto's on the market. Doubt you'd hear 2% of P-gun owners who aren't satisfied with their performance.

muddyteeth

Bearcat
Thank you guys very much! Will do a polish tomorrow (no dremel I promise), clean it out super well, oil it up and see how it goes. I'll post updates tomorrow night.

muddyteeth

Bearcat
Slight update, not sure it makes a huge difference but I'm pretty sure it's a P95DPR, first time with a decocker, wasn't sure it was a different model.
Just stating in case the decocker is known to cause issues.

Gun should not do that... I put 650 rounds through one last month with out a pickup... but what ever you do.. DO NOT DREMEL IT!... I think the first thing to do is try what has been mentioned ... a different magazine... make sure it is a Ruger Factory mag.... if all else fails... I'll loan you one....

You kept writing 'FTF' but then it sounds like the next round after the gun fires jamms and does not seat well... that is different from 'FTF' Fail to fire....

from your description... the next round is failing to chamber properly... this could be from a bad magazine or a number of other issues.... but one is (and I know this might be hard to fathom) how you are holding the pistol... it is called limp wristing .... if you allow the entire pistol to move backwards when a round fires this takes some of that energy from the slide recoiling completely and will cause a round to jam.

muddyteeth

Bearcat
I apologize for the lack of clarity, by FTF I meant Failure to Feed, not fire. The spent round ejects fine, the incoming round gets forced into the chamber at an angle and gets stuck with the slug against the left side of the barrel. There may have been 1 "stovepipe" and 1 jam differently to the right, but 90% were the exact same type of jam.

I would assume the mags that came with it are factory, I read somewhere that the springs can be too rigid and cause jams when new.
I will give that try as soon as possible though, I'd like to use a well broken in one. Might take you up on that offer.

I thoroughly considered limp-wristing, but I shot a S&W M&P 9 before and after the failures without a single jam. Had a more experienced shooter buddy take a few tries and jammed every shot for him as well. We both adjusted shooting styles to compensate to no avail. I don't mean to play the macho role whatsoever, but we are both 6' 2'' country boys. I don't think grip is the issue here lol
Not to mention I've shot .40s and other 9's without a single issue. This is the first jam situation I've ever had in my life.

I can absolutely assure everyone a dremel will not be touching it. I've been told by multiple people here and elsewhere not to, and I intend to follow the advice of experience.

To completely clarify, what I see happening when I fire is this:

1. Manual pull on slide to chamber first round
2. Fire
3. First round ejects without issue
4. Slide cocks hammer
5. Second round jams to the left
6. Remove second round jam
7. Third round chambers correctly
8. Fire, repeat steps 3-7 with subsequent rounds

Will add more info/updates as they come. Thanks!

Mike J

Hunter
I would agree about trying a different magazine. Cleaning the one you have might help. If you think the spring has too much tension load the magazine & leave it loaded for a week. The spring should take a set.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Please keep us updated. As far as magazines , Ruger factory magazines and Mec-Gar magazines are what I use. The Mec-Gar magazines are the best aftermarlet mags in the world in my opinion.
Call Ruger on Tuesday since tomarrow is a holiday. They will definitely take care of it.

muddyteeth

Bearcat
I emailed Ruger about it Saturday night, will give them a call as well Tuesday.

Will be updating as soon as I learn anything new.

I'd rather not drop any money on a new magazine just yet, I'd like to see if I can break in a factory one. Gonna leave it loaded until next weekend and see if that combined with a good cleaning/lube make a difference. If not, off to Ruger it goes.

roylt

Hunter
Not the most knowledgeable on mags but what if you just loaded 5 rounds in the mag. Wouldn't this be like a weaker spring that was loaded with 15 rounds.?

Also it could be the ejector or some other thing too. Post a picture of a empty mag installed in the frame with the slide locked back so we can see inside. Maybe will see something else. So straight down the mag well from the top with the mag installed.

muddyteeth

Bearcat
Alright give me a minute, just started break down and clean. Got come clp and gonna make it nice and purty.

On the day of the jams, I did in fact load 5 rounds into a mag to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't.

However, just now as I was breaking it down I decided to do a little testing on the mags.

Loaded 6 Win HP 115, and "thumb flicked" each one out. Every round would slide forward about a half a centimeter when the one before it was flicked out, it would slide about half a centimeter from the back of the magazine.

I'm going to post pics of everything in a few minutes.

muddyteeth

Bearcat
Alright give me a minute, just started break down and clean. Got come clp and gonna make it nice and purty.

On the day of the jams, I did in fact load 5 rounds into a mag to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't.

However, just now as I was breaking it down I decided to do a little testing on the mags.

Loaded 6 Win HP 115, and "thumb flicked" each one out. Every round would slide forward about a half a centimeter when the one before it was flicked out, it would slide about half a centimeter from the back of the magazine.

Just loaded a full 15 and did the same thing. Tried 3 different ammos. Had some casings hang on the lip of the magazine and some come out at really strange angles. Beginning to think it might be just a mag issue!

I'm going to post pics of everything in a few minutes.

(No idea why this posted twice, sorry!)

muddyteeth

Bearcat
Something as well I didn't notice before. Each time I press down on the top round to add another (speed loader or with thumb) all the rounds underneath seem go out of alignment and point in various directions. Not sure if that's normal or not.

muddyteeth

Bearcat
Okay so now I'm worried a bit. Did a takedown and a nice coat of CLP/wipedown and got everything looking much shinier with no more boogs.

UNFORTUNATELY, I found this little bastard inside the grip. http://imgur.com/6XJtEHH
I'm not sure what those little wings are called, but one of them has very clearly been broken. The image is looking up into the bottom of the grip.

Also included are photographs of rounds sliding forward as they would be pushed into the chamber.

What I thought would be a simple fix is turning into a f%&$ing compounded nightmare.

Got more pics, in the album. One for the guy who asks to see the extractor rod with an empty mag locked (sorry it was dirty, I took it before cleaning) http://imgur.com/a/LWgmY

At this point, I'm heavily leaning toward sending this to Ruger. I am completely uncomfortable operating a firearm with ANY broken or missing components. Any experiences with Ruger CS?

I looked up in the grip of mine and I know you are not going to believe this... but it is supposed to look that way.... in the picture that looks like broken metal but is actually part of the polymer frame and the left (as you look at it) part is supposed to be smaller than the right one. I can try and take a picture of mine if you want.

empty mag and extractor picture looks fine to me.... I'd try it one more time at the range before sending it in.

muddyteeth

Bearcat
Got an email back from Ruger this morning asking for details, replied and waiting for a response. Gonna try to make it out this weekend to see if there is any difference. I have a mag loaded since Sunday night and gonna leave it until I shoot.

I gotta ask though, are you sure that piece in your grip looks the same? I could understand why it would be smaller, but the piece in mine seems very much chipped and fractured. I'd like something to compare it to if you don't mind lol