P95 decock question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tascofeldman

Bearcat
I have a new to me P95 w decocker. My question is this. Can the decock be "converted" so that once the pistol has been decocked, the lever returns to the off safe firing position? I'm an old 1911 guy and the up sweep of the safety off is hard to "remember" as such and I'm afraid I'll not take the safety off under stressful conditions. Thanks!

Al James

Hunter
Sounds like you actually have a manual safety version not a decock only. Yes the manual safety also decocks the pistol but it is not what we usually refer to as a Decocker.

The gun you desire is a P95 marked P95DC on the slide instead of just P95. Here is a link showing the difference[P90 but illustrates the same difference] between the two styles. Hope this helps.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=234982

I personally would not spend the money to convert it over. Just sell one and buy the other if it's an important difference to you. That would be my recommendation at least....whatever that's worth[$0.01-.02] :wink:

JTQ

Bearcat
I'm an old 1911 guy and the up sweep of the safety off is hard to "remember" as such and I'm afraid I'll not take the safety off under stressful conditions. Thanks!
I'm an "old 1911 guy" too, but I did start my semi-auto shooting with S&W Traditional Double Action (TDA) guns that have the same safety/decocker as the Ruger P-Series guns. Most simply use the safety/decocker as a decocker only, and carry the gun with the hammer down and the safety off. In that condition it is just like a double action revolver. Decock the gun, switch the safety back up. You'll remember it, you've been able to take the safety of on the 1911.

Latest posts